Professor Sinead Morrissey
Professor of Creative Writing
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0191 208 3533
- Address: SELLL, Percy Building,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
Professor of Creative Writing, Newcastle University
Director, Newcastle Centre for the Literary Arts
Co-Director, Newcastle Poetry Festival
Professor of Creative Writing, Queen’s University Belfast.
BA Hons. German and English: Trinity College, Dublin. First Class.
PhD: “Servants in British Fictions of the 1790s”.
Trinity College, Dublin.
PGCHET (Higher Education Teacher Training Certificate) Queen’s University, Belfast.
Queen’s University, Belfast:
2002-2005 Writer in Residence
2006-2010 Lecturer in Creative Writing
2010-2012 Senior Lecturer in Creative Writing
2012-2015 Reader in Creative Writing
2015-2016 Professor in Creative Writing
MHEA Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
AHRC Peer Review College
—The Forward Prize for Best Collection (2017)
—E M Forster Award (The American Academy of Arts and Letters, 2016)
—National Book Circle Critics’ Award for Poetry (finalist, 2016)
—Inaugural Belfast Poet Laureate (2013-2014)
—T S Eliot Prize (2013)
—Irish Times/Poetry Now Award (2013)
—Major Individual Artist Award (Arts Council of Northern Ireland, 2012)
—Irish Times/Poetry Now Award (2009)
—Lannan Literary Fellowship (USA, 2007)
—UK National Poetry Competition (First Prize, 2007)
—The Michael Hartnett Poetry Prize (2005)
—The Rupert and Eithne Strong Award (2002)
—The MacAulay Fellowship (Arts Council of Ireland, 2002)
—Eric Gregory Award (1996)
—The Patrick Kavanagh Award (1990)
- There Was Fire in Vancouver (Carcanet, 1996)
- Between Here and There (Carcanet, 2002)
- The State of the Prisons (Carcanet, 2005)
- Through the Square Window (Carcanet, 2009)
- Parallax (Carcanet, 2013)
- On Balance (Carcanet, 2017)
- Parallax and Selected Poems (Farrar Straus Giroux, New York, 2015)
ANTHOLOGIES (as co-editor)
- The Future Always Makes me so Thirsty: New Poets from the North of Ireland (Blackstaff Press, 2016)
- Up by the Roots: a music/poetry collaboration with composer Piers Hellawell (Edition Peters, 2016).
In addition I have published individual poems widely in national and international poetry journals including Poetry (Chicago), Poetry Review, Poetry Ireland Review, as well as having poems featured in the Guardian, the Irish Times and the New Statesman. My work has also been broadly anthologised.