My work as artist and curator broadly investigates ways language and narrative are used to make sense of the world around us, and how narratives in turn generate worlds of their own. Subjective personal readings and constructions of the world and ways that these might achieve social political and cultural expression is the central focus of my work.
The primary focus is on narratives and fictions in contemporary visual culture -both as an artist and curator - How they are used both to understand the world and model potentialities . The focus is on the subjective and the belief system as sites of opposition to hegemonic capital and commodity, and as a response to the discourses of modernity and enlightenment rationality.
Artist Curator Writer
hayward Touring Exhibtion A Secret Service investigation the artists and their realtionship to ideas of teh the secret
The Golden space City of God: Video Installation and collaboration with composer and choir in writing a new oratoria from cult material drawn from the world wide web
- Grayson R. The Magpie Index. The Magpie Index is a video installation made up of an assemblage of monologues by singer songwriter Roy Harper, where he narrates his history, and his development as a musician and as a leading figure of the sixties and seventies counter-culture in the UK. De La Warr Pavilion. Locus +, 2010.
- Grayson R. The Golden Space City of God. A video work developed at the International Residency Program at ArtPace San Antonio Texas and Matts Gallery London. The project received funding from ArtPace Residency Program, The Arts Council of Great Britain, The Art and Humanities Research Council, the Elephant Trust, The Henry Moore and Esmee Fairbairn Foundations. The Golden Space City of God investigates the cultural artifact as a carrier and shaper of group and social belief. The research developed a creative context to allow collaborations between artist, composer, choir, choir leader, director and sound designer, to be the central generative dynamic. San Antonio, Texas; London: ArtPace; Matts Gallery, 2009.
- Grayson R. Polytechnic. A curatorial project focusing on video, installation and tape/slide work made in the UK in the late seventies and early eighties. Staged at the Raven Row Gallery, London, it featured 12 artists: John Adams, Ian Bourn, Ian Breakwell, Marc Camille Chaimowicz, David Critchley, Catherine Elwes, Roberta Graham, Steve Hawley, Susan Hiller, Stuart Marshall, Cordelia Swann and Graham Young. 2010. London: Raven Row.
- Grayson RM. A Secret Service: Art Compulsion Concealment, A curated exhibition with catalogue. 2006. Hatton Gallery Newcastle, 17/9/06-11/11/06, De La Warre Pavilion Bexhill on Sea 27/1/07-15/4/07, Whitworth Gallery Manchester 5/5/07-29/7/07: Hatton Gallery, De La Warre Pavilion , Whitworth Gallery.
- Grayson RM, and others. This Will Not Happen Without You The first curated exhibition from the archives of Locus +. 2006. John Hansard Gallery, Southampton, 21.11.2006 – 20.01.2007; Hatton Gallery, Newcastle 09.02.2007 – 31.03.2007; The Gallery, University of Ulster, Belfast Campus, 27.09.2007 – 27.10.2007, 200+.
- Grayson RM. Messiah. Two Screen Video Installation. 1hr 10 mins. Messiah. Two Screen Video Installation 2004. Exhibited as work in progress Kunstlerhaus Bethanien June 2004 (solo exhibition). Yuill/Crowley Gallery Sydney Sept 2004 (solo exhibition). Premiered Matts Gallery London November/December 2004 (solo exhibition). Selected for Art Unlimited 2005.36 Basel (Group exhibition) a jury curated exhibition (Catalogue). Electric Renaissance (group show) Halle Germany (Catalogue), God Sehen, Kunstalle ThuringauSwitzerland group show. (Catalogue ISBN 3-7212-0574-X))', 1.
- Grayson, R M. (The World May Be) Fantastic Sydney Biennale 2002. Museum of Modern Art, Art Gallery New South Wales, Artspace, Object Galleries, City Exhibtion Space, Customs House, Govermnebt House, Sydney Opera House, and Outdoor Venues 2002. Museum of Modern Art, Art Gallery New South Wales, Artspace, Object Galleries, City Exhibition Space, Customs House, Government House, Sydney Opera House, and Outdoor Venues. (all venues in Sydney), over 400 works.
- Grayson R. Revolver. 2013. London: Matts Gallery, 10.
- Grayson R. An internet of things. Broadsheet Magazine 2015, 44(1), 75-78.
- Grayson R. Cosmic Joke. Sydney: University of Technology Sydney Gallery, 2015. Hi Def Video installation: Stereo Sound. 25mins duration.
- Grayson R. Speech Acts. 2015. Sydney Australia: University of Technology Gallery, 5.
- Grayson R. Their Generation. Post Internet Art and its constructions. Art Monthly UK 2015, (389).
- Grayson R. If It Was A Going Concern. In: Grayson, R, ed. Worlds In Collision. Adelaide Festival of the Arts Australia, 2014, pp.111.
- Grayson R. Nothing Can Stop Us Now. London, UK: Dilston Grove/Matt's Gallery, 2014.
- Grayson R, ed. Worlds In Collision. Adelaide International, 2014.
- Grayson R. Worlds In Collision: 2014 Adelaide Festival, Adelaide International Art Exhibition. 2014. Adelaide, Australia: Adelaide Festival.
- Grayson R, Wainwright J, Rees S, Won J. Shaun Gladwell: Cycles of Radical Will. In: Jane Won, ed. Shaun Gladwell:Cycles of Radical Will. UK: De La Warr Pavillion, 2013, pp.144.
- Grayson R. By Our Own Hand. London: Nine Elms, 2018. In Preparation.
- Grayson R. The Horizontal Within, The Horizontal Without. 2017. Lubomirov/Angus-Hughes, London, 1. Submitted.
- Grayson R. By Our Own Hand. 2017. In Preparation.
- Grayson R. By Our Own Hand. London: Nine Elms, 2017. In Preparation.
- Grayson R. Drawing Biennale 2017. 2017. London, UK: Drawing Room, 1.
- Grayson R. HYPERactive. 2017. Canberra, Australia: Canberra Contemporary Art Space, 1. In Preparation.
- Grayson R. Possessions_inc. 2017.
- Grayson R. The Magic Mountain. 2017.
- Grayson RM. Nigel Greenwood Ltd. Running a picture Gallery. Art Monthly UK 2016, 398.
- Grayson R. Vordemberge-Gildewart Award. 2016. London, UK: Annely Juda Gallery, 13.