Senior Research Associate
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 7577
I am a Senior Research Associate based in based in the Centre for Urban and Regional Development Studies (CURDS). My current work is focused on contributing through research and policy development to the shaping of an evolving recognition of the role of universities as ‘anchor’ institutions in local/regional economic growth and innovation.
I am currently acting (60% fte) as programme manager to the Newcastle City Futures (ULP) project led by Professor Mark Tewdwr-Jones. More information about the project is available here.
Selected current and recent projects:
Newcastle City Futures Urban Living Partnership – Managing an RCUK-funded £400K 18 month project that aims to link universities to the public, private and community sectors in order to create a ‘test-bed city of innovation’ in Newcastle. http://www.newcastlecityfutures.org/
Leading and Managing the Civic University – Managing and contributing to a five year programme of action research with 8 universities in 4 European countries to test and develop the concept of the ‘civic university’. The results are captured in the following book http://www.e-elgar.com/shop/the-civic-university
Erasmus+ ‘Thinking Smart’ – Work package leader for a European Commission funded project exploring the role of universities in the design and implementation of regional strategies for ‘smart specialisation’ (innovation) involving partners from universities in Spain, Portugal, Italy and Poland. http://thinkingsmart.utad.pt/
Higher Education and Smart Specialisation (HESS) – International expert for a European Commission project to develop a programme of policy research around the role of higher education in smart specialisation based on results from pilot studies in Spain and Romania. http://s3platform.jrc.ec.europa.eu/hess
Harmonising the Intellectual Capital of Universities in the Core Cities – Analysis of the current and potential role of universities in contributing to city development in 10 UK cities and development of a proposition for a support platform to facilitate more and better linkages between universities and cities.
University of Warwick Chancellor's Commission – Co-author of an underpinning think piece on the role of universities in the leadership and management of place to underpin the work of the commission - an independent inquiry established to consider the future role of University of Warwick in Coventry, Warwickshire and the wider region. http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/research/warwickcommission/chancellorscommission/
Measuring the impact of Higher Education Institutions in Ireland – Member of an international OECD study team with a specific focus on local and regional impact of higher education. http://www.oecd.org/ireland/supporting-entrepreneurship-and-innovation-in-higher-education-in-ireland-9789264270893-en.htm
The Luneburg University Innovation Incubator – Led a study of the impact of a large scale project for building the capacity of the university to contribute to regional development. http://www.oecd.org/cfe/leed/FINAL_OECD%20Luneburg_report.pdf
Evaluation of University-Region Cooperation – Evaluation of the outputs, results and impacts of the cooperation agreement between Region Värmland and Karlstad University in North-Mid Sweden and recommendations for future cooperative programmes. Findings are summarised in the following publication. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21681376.2015.1085329
Universities and Smart Specialisation – Development of a set of policy papers and case studies to raise awareness and cooperation between universities and regional authorities across Europe about the role of universities in regional innovation and how they can work together to overcome challenges and barriers. http://s3platform.jrc.ec.europa.eu/documents/20182/115084/JRC85508_Universities_and_S3.pdf/23a84c8b-233f-4cee-aae9-c89914f23e9c
Connecting Universities to Regional Growth – Researching the role of HEIs in regional development and producing a guidebook to promote the active engagement of universities in delivering European funded projects. http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/sources/docgener/presenta/universities2011/universities2011_en.pdf
- Butt M, Cross E, Holliman N, Kempton L, Legget J, Mackenzie E, Ross H, Sapsed J, Swords J, Vallance P, Whitehurst F. Creative Fuse North East: Initial Report. Newcastle University, UK, 2017.
- Kempton L. Enhancing the impact of Ireland’s higher education institutions. EU: OECD, 2017. OECD Skills Studies.
- Pike A, Lee N, MacKinnon D, Kempton L, Iddewala Y. Job Creation and Inclusive Growth in Cities. York, UK: Joseph Rowntree Foundation, 2017.
- O'Brien P, Pike A, Kempton L, MacKinnon D, McCarthy A. CURDS evidence to the Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) Select Committee Inquiry into the Northern Powerhouse and Midlands Engine. 2016.
- Pike A, Kempton L, Marlow D, O'Brien P, Tomaney J. Decentralisation: Issues, Principles and Practice. CURDS, Newcastle University, 2016.
- Kempton L. Institutional challenges and tensions. In: The Civic University: The Policy and Leadership Challenges. Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, 2016, pp.281-297.
- Goddard J, Hazelkorn E, Kempton L, Vallance P. Introduction: Why the civic university?. The Civic University: The Policy and Leadership Challenges 2016, 3-15.
- Goddard J, Hazelkorn E, Kempton L, Vallance P. Postscript: The civic university as a normative model?. In: The Civic University: The Policy and Leadership Challenges. Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd, 2016, pp.298-307.
- Goddard J, Hazelkorn E, Kempton L, Vallance P, ed. The Civic University: The Policy and Leadership Challenges. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2016.
- Goddard J, Kempton L. The Civic University: Universities in leadership and management of place. Newcastle upon Tyne: Newcastle University, 2016. RR2013/03.
- Kempton L, Bradley D. Enterprise to Business Final Evaluation Report. 2015. Submitted.
- Kempton L. Delivering Smart Specialization in Peripheral Regions: the Role of Universities. Regional Studies, Regional Science 2015, 2(1), 488-495.
- Kempton L, Hofer A-R. Lessons Learned from the Lüneburg Innovation Incubator. Paris: OECD, 2015.
- Healy A, Perkman M, Goddard J, Kempton L. Measuring the Impact of University-Business Cooperation: Final Report. Brussels: Directorate General for Education and Culture, European Commission, 2014.
- Kempton L, Goddard J, Edwards J, Hegyi FB, Elena-Pérez S. Universities and Smart Specialisation. Seville: Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre, 2014. JRC Technical Reports; S3 Policy Brief Series JRC85508.
- Goddard J, Coombes M, Kempton L, Vallance P. Universities as anchor institutions in cities in a turbulent funding environment: vulnerable institutions and vulnerable places in England. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society 2014, 7(2), 307-325.
- Goddard J, Kempton L, Marlow D. LEPs, Universities and Europe – Opportunities and challenges for supporting sub-national innovation in England. In: Ward, M ; Hardy, S, ed. Where next for Local Enterprise Partnerships?. London: Smith Institute, 2013.
- Fisher B, Goddard JG, Kempton L, Marlow D, Robson L, Whitehurst FC. North East Local Economic Partnership: Smart Specialisation Report. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: North East Local Economic Partnership, 2013.
- Goddard J, Kempton L, Vallance P. The civic university: connecting the global and the local. In: Roberta Capello, Agnieszka Olechnicka, Grzegorz Gorzelak, ed. Universities, Cities and Regions: Loci for Knowledge and Innovation Creation. Abingdon: Routledge, 2013, pp.43-63.
- Goddard J, Kempton L, Vallance P. Universities and Smart Specialisation: challenges, tensions and opportunities for the innovation strategies of European regions. Ekonomiaz: revista vasca de economia 2013, (83), 83-102.
- Goddard J, Kempton L. Connecting Universities to Regional Growth:A Practical Guide. Brussels: European Commission, 2011.
- Vallance P, Goddard J, Kempton L. Research Impacts - The Perspective of the Academic Community: Summary of the Main Findings from an Online Survey. Unpublished Report (Copy available from author), 2011.