Skip to main content

Level 6 BEng Product Design and Development Engineer Apprenticeship

Ensure your organisation has the skills and expertise needed to drive critical engineering innovation in electrification and advanced manufacturing.

Apprenticeship overview

Electrification is central to achieving net zero carbon emissions. It also represents a huge opportunity for businesses of all sizes. New technologies, products and services are all required for a wide range of applications.

Industry partners have helped us to identify the new knowledge and skills that will be core to electrification.

They have helped us to develop this new Level 6 degree apprenticeship that tackles the skills gap facing industry.

There are three specialism pathways through the four year programme:

  • batteries
  • advanced manufacturing
  • power electronics, machines and drives

How the programme is structured

The first intake of apprentices will start the programme in September 2024.

This degree apprenticeship comprises three stages of study over four years. This is followed by a six-month End Point Assessment (EPA) period.

In Stage 1 (Year 1) apprentices follow a broad, cross-disciplinary engineering syllabus. This provides a base level of engineering knowledge and skills. Study modules include:

  • engineering maths
  • electronics and electrical engineering
  • materials and mechanics
  • an industrial project developing design and professional skills

In Stage 2 (Years 2 and 3) apprentices develop greater depth of knowledge and advanced engineering skills. Study modules include:

  • automatic control systems
  • design and manufacturing
  • energy sources and storage
  • semiconductor devices and analogue electronics
  • AC electrical power conversion
  • further modules in maths, mechanics and materials

In Stage 3 (Year 4) apprentices will pursue a specialist stream:

Entry requirements

Apprentices must be currently employed in a relevant role, be working in England, and fit the apprenticeship funding criteria. Their application must be supported by their employer.

Applicants should have achieved grade C or above in GCSE Maths and English (or equivalent qualifications) and an additional STEM subject at grades C, or 5, or above. Applicants without English or Maths qualifications can study for them as part of their apprenticeship.

It is desirable but not essential that studies post GCSE include science, technology, engineering or mathematical subjects (physics and chemistry recommended).

Each application is considered on an individual basis. Applications that do not meet the normal requirements will be considered. Recognition of prior certificated and experiential learning can be considered.


The cost of training is £27,000 and is fully-funded for the duration of the programme through the apprenticeship levy for levy-paying organisations.

Non-levy paying SMEs can access 95% government funding, leaving 5% to be paid as co-investment.

Our experienced team can help you to navigate the entry requirments and funding mechanisms.


When will the programme start?

The programme will begin in September 2024.