Dr Giles McCracken
Clinical Senior Lecturer/Consultant
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8194
- Address: Restorative Dentistry
School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
I graduated with my Newcastle University BDS in 1993. My early career moved between Newcastle Dental Hospital and general dental practice in County Durham until I returned to life as a full time student in 1998. I gained my PhD in 2002 before my appointment as a Clinical Lecturer in Restorative Dentistry in 2003. I completed my specialist training in Restorative Dentistry in 2008 and was promoted to Clinical Senior Lecturer and Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry in 2009.
I continue to research in the theme of clinical effectiveness working in multi centre clinical trials of oral interventions with a focus around plaque control alongside in vitro investigations aligned to dentistry. I work in the Dental Education Research Group of the School investigating undergraduate and postgraduate clinical education.
- FDS RCPS(Glasg)
- FDS(Rest Dent)
Roles and Responsibilities
- Director of Clinical Studies for undergraduate dental programmes
- Degree Programme Director MClinDent Restorative Dentistry
- Honorary Consultant in Restorative Dentistry The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Principle College Clinical Educator in the Academy of Clinical Educators RCPS Glasgow
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- British Society for Dental Research (BSDR)
- British Society of Periodontology (BSP)
- Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons Glasgow (RCPS Glasg)
- British Dental Association (BDA)
- North of England Odontological Society
- British Society for Restorative Dentistry (BSRD)
- Association of Consultants and Specialists in Restorative Dentistry (ACSRD)
- British Society for Teachers in Conservative Dentistry (BATCD)
Google scholar: Click here.
SCOPUS: Click here.
- Clinical efficacy of powered toothbrushes
- Clinical trial design
- Periodontal diseases and plaque control
- Patient compliance and behaviour change
- Impact of periodontal disease on quality of life
- Efficacy of mandibular advancement splints for snoring
- Clinical Education
- Markers for clinical effectiveness with respect to plaque removal
- Impact of periodontal disease upon quality of life
- Performance of resin composite restorations
- Translational studies to evaluate plaque control interventions
- Inflammatory mechanisms associated with type 1 diabetes mellitus and oral diseases
- Investigation of Failed Resin Composite Restorations
- The effect of common dietary acids, alkalis and solvents on model composite materials
- Exploration of the influence of personal judgments in assessing the development of professionalism
- Investigating orofacial pain and oral health assessment measures for care planning of dependent adults
- Effect of using instrument lubricants on the physical and mechanical properties of the resin-based composites
- The impact of periodontal disease upon quality of life in patients with diabetes
- Comparison of a mandibular advancement splint to a mandibular bite-raising appliance in the treatment of patients with severe snoring
- The impact of material selection for provisional extracoronal restorations upon dental implants
- The impact of material selection for provisional extracoronal restorations upon gingival health
- An investigation of oral health measures in medically compromised patients
- The effect of hydrochloric acid on composite hardness
- Aetiology & prevalence of gingival recession
- Development of Quality of Life outcome measures in periodontal interventions
- Director of Clinical Studies BDS and BSc ODHS
- Key Clinical Skills
- Clinical Skills Advanced Restorations
- Introduction to Dentistry
- Course Lead for Current opinion in Dentistry
- Restorative Dentistry clinical programme
- Dental Therapist programme
- MClinDent in Restorative Dentistry
- Certificate in Implant Dentistry
- Bateman H, McCracken G, Ellis J, Stewart J. Delivering to ‘that list’: The challenges of working with Learning Outcomes. In: ASME Annual Scientific Meeting. 2018, Gateshead, UK: Association for the Study of Medical Education (ASME).
- Ramsay CR, Clarkson JE, Duncan A, Lamont TJ, Heasman PA, Boyers D, Goulao B, Bonetti D, Bruce R, Gouick J, Heasman L, Lovelock-Hempleman LA, Macpherson LE, McCracken GI, McDonald AM, McLaren-Neil F, Mitchell FE, Norrie JDT, Van Der Pol M, Sim K, Steele JG, Sharp A, Watt G, Worthington HV, Young L. Improving the quality of dentistry (IQuaD): A cluster factorial randomised controlled trial comparing the effectiveness and cost-benefit of oral hygiene advice and/or periodontal instrumentation with routine care for the prevention and management of periodontal disease in dentate adults attending dental primary care. Health Technology Assessment 2018, 22(38), vii-143.
- Bateman HL, McCracken GI, Thomason JM, Ellis JS. Learning outcomes: Exploring implications of adopting a different level of detail. European Journal of Dental Education 2018, 22(2), 86-91.
- Lyons M, Smith C, Boaden E, Brady MC, Brocklehurst P, Dickinson H, Hamdy S, Higham S, Langhorne P, Lightbody C, McCracken G, Medina-Lara A, Sproson L, Walls A, Watkins C. Oral care after stroke: Where are we now?. European Stroke Journal 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Blaylock P, Ellis JS, McCracken GI. The transition from dental school to postgraduate dental foundation training: strengthening the interaction between stakeholders. British Dental Journal 2018, 224(4), 269-273.
- Smith CJ, Horne M, McCracken GI, Young D, Clements I, Hulme S, Ardron C, Hamdy S, Vail A, Walls AWGW, Tyrrell PJ. Development and feasibility testing of an oral hygiene intervention for stroke unit care. Gerodontology 2017, 34(1), 110-120.
- Bateman H, Ellis J, Thomason JM, McCracken G. Enhancing Sessional Clinical Teacher Impact: Identifying the Challenges. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session. 2017, San Francisco, California: Sage.
- Bahammam F, Stone SJ, McCracken G. Evaluation of an Oral Hygiene Screening Tool. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session. 2017, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- McCracken GI, Asuni A, Ritchie M, Vernazza CR, Heasman PA. Failing to meet the goals of periodontal recall programs. What next?. Periodontology 2000 2017, 75(1), 330-352.
- German M, Al-Bazaranchi T, Field J, McCracken G. Surface pre-treatment effects composite-to-composite bond strength. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session 2017. 2017, San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Bateman H, Ellis J, Stewart J, McCracken G. Using learning outcomes in dental education. British Dental Journal 2017, 223, 854-857.
- Bateman H, Thomason JM, McCracken G, Ellis J. Developing assessment: involving the sessional clinical teacher. British Dental Journal 2016, 220(3), 129-132.
- Desai R, Taylor J, Wassall RR, McCracken G, Preshaw PM. Inflammatory Mechanisms Linking Type 1 Diabetes and Periodontitis. In: IADR General Session. 2016, Seoul, Korea.
- Field J, Al-Bazaranchi T, German M, McCracken G. Management of Fractured Resin Composites by Dentists in North-East England. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session 2017. 2016, San Francisco, California: IADR.
- Horne M, McCracken G, Walls A, Tyrrell PJ, Smith CJ. Organisation, practice and experiences of mouth hygiene in stroke unit care: a mixed-methods study. Journal of Clinical Nursing 2015, 24(5-6), 728-738.
- Stone SJ, Heasman PA, Staines KS, McCracken GI. The impact of structured plaque control for patients with gingival manifestations of oral lichen planus: a randomized controlled study. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2015, 42(4), 356-362.
- Stone SJ, Holmes RD, Heasman PA, McCracken GI. Continuing professional development and application of knowledge from research findings: a qualitative study of general dental practitioners. British Dental Journal 2014, 216(11), E23.
- Stone SJ, McCracken GI, Staines KS, Heasman P. Evaluating plaque control interventions on gingival lichen planus. In: IADR 92nd General Session. 2014, Cape Town, South Africa: International Association for Dental Research.
- Stone SJ, McCracken GI, Kumar P, Offenbacher S, Aspiras M, Delauranti M, Heasman PA. Characterising gingivitis with inflammatory mediators and microbial species. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session and Exhibition 2013. 2013, Seattle, Washington: J Dent Res 90 (Spec Iss A).
- Stone SJ, McCracken GI, Heasman PA, Staines KS, Pennington M. Cost-effectiveness of personalized plaque control for managing the gingival manifestations of oral lichen planus: a randomized controlled study. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2013, 40(9), 859-867.
- Durham J, Fraser HM, McCracken GI, Stone KM, John MT, Preshaw PM. Impact of periodontitis on oral health-related quality of life. Journal of Dentistry 2013, 41(4), 370-376.
- Clarkson JE, Ramsay CR, Averley P, Bonetti D, Boyers D, Campbell L, Chadwick GR, Duncan A, Elders A, Gouick J, Hall AF, Heasman L, Heasman PA, Hodge PJ, Jones C, Laird M, Lamont TJ, Lovelock LA, Madden I, McCombes W, McCracken GI, McDonald AM, McPherson G, Macpherson LE, Mitchell FE, Norrie JDT, Pitts NB, van der Pol M, Ricketts DNJ, Ross MK, Steele JG, Swan M, Tickle M, Watt PD, Worthington HV, Young L. IQuaD dental trial; improving the quality of dentistry: a multicentre randomised controlled trial comparing oral hygiene advice and periodontal instrumentation for the prevention and management of periodontal disease in dentate adults attending dental primary care. BMC Oral Health 2013, 13, 58.
- McCracken GI, Steen N, Maguire J, Gibson GJ, Wilson JA, Steele JG. Re: Randomised cross-over study of oral appliances for snoring: a study-design note Response. Clinical Otolaryngology 2011, 36(1), 92-93.
- Preshaw P, De Silva N, McCracken G, Fernando D, Dalton C, Steen N, Heasman P. Compromised periodontal status in an urban Sri Lankan population with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2010, 37(2), 165-171.
- Ewan V, Perry JD, Mawson T, McCracken G, Brown AN, Newton J, Walls A. Detecting potential respiratory pathogens in the mouths of older people in hospital. Age and Ageing 2010, 39(1), 122-125.
- O'Dowd LK, Durham J, McCracken GI, Preshaw PM. Patients' experiences of the impact of periodontal disease. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2010, 37(4), 334-339.
- Maguire J, Steele JG, Gibson GJ, Wilson JA, Steen N, McCracken GI. Randomised cross-over study of oral appliances for snoring. Clinical Otolaryngology 2010, 35(3), 204-209.
- Duckworth RM, Maguire A, Omid N, Steen IN, McCracken GI, Zohoori FV. Effect of Rinsing with Mouthwashes after Brushing with a Fluoridated Toothpaste on Salivary Fluoride Concentration. Caries Research 2009, 43(5), 391-396.
- McCracken G. Positive relationship between stress and periodontal disease?. Evidence-Based Dentistry 2009, 10(2), 42.
- McCracken GI, Heasman L, Stacey F, Swan M, Steen N, de Jager M, Heasman PA. The impact of powered and manual toothbrushing on incipient gingival recession. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2009, 36(11), 950-957.
- McCracken G. Chlorhexidine varnish may be useful adjunct to routine periodontal therapy? Commentary. Evidence-Based Dentistry 2008, 9(3), 76.
- Rajapakse PS, McCracken GI, Gwynnett E, Steen ND, Guentsch A, Heasman PA. Does tooth brushing influence the development and progression of non-inflammatory gingival recession? A systematic review. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2007, 34(12), 1046-1061.
- Rudralingam M, McCracken GI, Nolan A, Heasman PA. Necrotising gingivitis as a manifestation of Richter syndrome. Perio 2007, 4(1), 37-40.
- McCracken GI, Preshaw PM, Steen IN, Swan M, De Jager M, Heasman PA. Measuring plaque in clinical trials: Index or weight?. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2006, 33(3), 172-176.
- Wilson JA, Lester SE, Gibson GJ, Anari S, Steele JG, Steen IN, McCracken GI. Silencing the snorers: No gain without pain?. Journal of Laryngology and Otology 2006, 120(7), 570-574.
- Stacey F, Heasman PA, Heasman L, Hepburn S, McCracken GI, Preshaw PM. Smoking cessation as a dental intervention - Views of the profession. British Dental Journal 2006, 201(2), 109-113.
- Heasman L, Stacey F, Preshaw PM, McCracken GI, Hepburn S, Heasman PA. The effect of smoking on periodontal treatment response: A review of clinical evidence. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2006, 33(4), 241-253.
- McCracken G, Janssen J, Heasman L, Stacey F, Steen N, DeJager M, Heasman P. Assessing adherence with toothbrushing instructions using a data logger toothbrush. British Dental Journal 2005, 198(1), 29-32.
- McCracken GI, Steen N, Preshaw PM, Heasman L, Stacey F, Heasman PA. The crossover design to evaluate the efficacy of plaque removal in tooth-brushing studies. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2005, 32(11), 1157-1162.
- Preshaw PM, Heasman L, Stacey F, Steen N, McCracken GI, Heasman PA. The effect of quitting smoking on chronic periodontitis. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2005, 32(8), 869-879.
- McCracken GI, Heasman L, Stacey F, Steen N, DeJager M, Heasman PA. A clinical comparison of an oscillating/rotating powered toothbrush and a manual toothbrush in patients with chronic periodontitis. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2004, 31(9), 805-812.
- McCracken GI, Preshaw PM, Heasman L, Stacey F, Steen N, Heasman PA. Efficacy of plaque removal of the Sonicare Elite versus the Sonicare Advance from hard-to-reach sites. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2004, 31(11), 1007-1011.
- McCracken GI, Janssen J, Swan M, Steen N, de Jager M, Heasman PA. Effect of brushing force and time on plaque removal using a powered toothbrush. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2003, 30(5), 409-413.
- Heasman PA, McCracken GI, Steen N. The effect of subgingival debridement compared to supragingival prophylaxis on periodontal treatment outcomes. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2003, 29 (Supplement 3), 163-172.
- McCracken GI, Janssen J, Steen N, DeJager M, Heasman PA. A clinical evaluation of a novel data logger to determine compliance with the use of powered toothbrushes. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2002, 29(9), 838-843.
- Janssen J, McCracken GI, De Jager M, Heasman PA. A robotic testing system to evaluate plaque removal of powered toothbrushes - A comparison of clinical and laboratory data. Journal of Dental Research 2002, 81(special issue 1), A357 abstract no. 2864.
- Heasman PA, McCracken GI. Clinical evidence for the efficacy and safety of powered toothbrushes. Advances in Dental Research 2002, 16(1), 9-15.
- McCracken GI, Chapple IL, Milward M, Steen N, DeJager M, Heasman PA. Efficacy of a prototype brush head for a powered toothbrush: A multicentre study. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2002, 29(10), 889-895.
- Heasman PA, McCracken GI, Steen N. Supportive periodontal care: The effect of periodic subgingival debridement compared with supragingival prophylaxis with respect to clinical outcomes. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2002, 29(3), 163-172.
- McCracken GI, Heasman L, Stacey F, Steen N, De Jager M, Heasman PA. Testing the efficacy of 2 prototype brush heads for a powered toothbrush: Refining the model. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2002, 29(1), 42-47.
- McCracken GI, Stacey F, Heasman L, Sellers P, Macgregor ID, Kelly PJ, Heasman PA. A comparative study of two powered toothbrushes and one manual toothbrush in young adults. Journal of Clinical Dentistry 2001, 12(1), 7-10.
- Heasman PA, Heasman L, Stacey F, McCracken GI. Local delivery of chlorhexidine gluconate (PerioChip™) in periodontal maintenance patients. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2001, 28(1), 90-95.
- McCracken GI, Stacey F, Heasman L, Heasman PA. A modified plaque index for clinical trials of powered toothbrushes. In: Symposia/Behavioural Sciences & Health Services Research. 2000, Washington, USA: Journal of Dental Research.
- McCracken GI, Nunn JH, Hobson RS, Stephenson JJ, Jepson NJA. Evaluation of a computer-assisted learning package on the management of traumatised incisors by general dental practitioners. Dental Traumatology 2000, 16(1), 40-42.
- McCracken GI, Stacey F, Heasman L, Kelly PJ, Heasman PA. Testing a prototype brush head for a powered toothbrush unit. In: Symposia/Behavioural Sciences & Health Services Research. 2000, Washington, USA: Sage Publications.
- McCracken GI, Heasman L, Stacey F, Kelly PJ, Heasman PA. Testing the efficacy of plaque removal of a prototype brush head for a powered toothbrush. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2000, 27(8), 542-548.
- Heasman PA, McCracken GI. Powered toothbrushes: A review of clinical trials. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 1999, 26(7), 407-420.