Professor Janice Ellis
Professor of Dental Education
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8198
- Address: Restorative Dentistry
School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a graduate of Newcastle University having gained my BDS with Honours in 1987. I gained my Fellowship in Dental Surgery in 1991 having undertaken house officer and senior house officer roles. I completed my PhD in 1998 whilst working as a full time lecturer in Restorative Dentistry and then joined became a flexible training pathway in Restorative Dentistry after having my family. I returned to an academic career pathway in 2001 taking on a full time lecturing post. I subsequently completed my training, and gained my CCST in 2003. In August 2006 I was promoted to Senior Lecturer and Hon Consultant in Restorative Dentistry, and in August 2014 was promoted to a personal Chair in Dental Education.
Roles and Responsibilities
Deputy Head of School
Director of Dental Education
Degree Programme Director BDS
Degree Programme Director BSc ODHS
FDS RCS Ed (November 1991)
PhD Newcastle 1998
FDS RCS Ed (Rest Dent) 2004
PGCE (Dist) 2006
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2007)
International Association for Dental Research
British Society for Dental Research
International Association for Dental Research
British Society of Periodontology
British Society of Prosthodontics
Student Clinicians of the American Dental Association
Association of Consultants and Specialists in Restorative Dentistry
Association for the Study of Medical Education
Honours and Awards
British Society of Periodontology Fellowship Award 1992
The Sir Wilfred Fish Research Prize 1994
The British Society of Periodontology Marsh Midda Fellowship 1998
Shirley Glasstone Hughes Award 2002
BSSPD Research Grant 2007 (As supervisor to MPhil student recipient)
Schottlander Poster Prize (BSSPD) 2007
I have a busy family life and am currently training to complete my first ‘Sprint Triathlon’.
In recent years I have developed an interest in Dental Educational Research. I am a founder member of the Schools ‘Dental Education Research Group’, and have a particular interest in the educational aspects of student transitions, and the concept and assessment of Professionalism. I currently supervise a PhD student in this area.
My research interests started in Periodontology and specifically drug-induced gingival overgrowth. This was the subject of my PhD which involved not only lab based studies developing gas chromatographic techniques to measure drug concentrations in gingival crevicular fluid but also large scale epidemiological studies into the prevalence in the local community. Whilst my research interest remained in this area for some time after completing my PhD, my interests broadened to include the connection between cardiovascular disease and periodontal disease. More recently I have become one of the lead members of a team including nutritionists and social scientists that have research the impact of edentuloussness and the effects of conventional and implant supported overdentures on this and patient satisfaction. As part of this research we have undertaken a number of studies including the ability of implant supported overdentures to facilitate dietary change, the influence of aesthetics on patients acceptance, comparison on different attachment systems, the uptake of technology by practitioners, patterns of adaptation to denture wearing, eating related quality of life and decision making in relation to provision of high cost dental interventions such as implants. Much of this research has been undertaken in collaboration with colleagues at McGill University, Canada. I currently supervise one PhD student working within this area.
I have a PGCE in Higher Education Leadership and have been trained as a mentor. I use this skills to support my role as a tutor, and Educational Supervisor. I have developed a good working knowledge of the use of reflection and other methods of attitudinal assessment.
I have a wealth of experience writing/ refining/blueprinting curricula and more specifically learning outcomes and in particular the use of technologies to assist in the management of developing/changing programmes.
Selection techniques for dental students
Assessment of professionalism
Patient Feedback in dental student education
Transition to post-graduate training- impact of a competency based undergraduate programme versus volume of clinical experience.
Post-graduate supervisor (previously 1 PhD, 1 MPhil, 2 MSc, currently 2 PhD)
Member of COHR
Founder member of DERG
Member of team with skills in dietary and quality of life research with
regard to patients restored with implant supported overdentures.
Collaborative worker with McGill University, Montreal, Cork University, Ireland, Cardiff University Wales.
PhD Projects: Dietary intervention outcomes for completely edentulous patients wearing either conventional or implant-supported dentures (May 2007)
Assessment of Professionalism in Dental Students (working title – ongoing)
The implant patient journey (working title- ongoing)
MPhil: The application of industrial magnets in restorative dentistry (2008).
MSc: The impact of hypodontia on the quality of life of children and
adolescents in the North East of England (2010)
MSc; Development and validation of a questionnaire to identify patient centred-risk factors associated with an inability to wear conventional dentures successfully ( 2009)
I have served as an external examiner for the General Dental Council Overseas Registration Examination ( and previously IQE), Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (Part 1 MFDS), and external examiner for Finals BDS examination Kings College London, MSc Manchester University. I currently serve as external examiner for BDS Finals at Glasgow and Manchester Universities.
President of the British Society for prosthodontics ( 2012-13)
The Sir Wilfred Fish Research Prize Winner - BSP
The Marsh Midda Fellowship - BSP
The Fellowship Award - BSP
Shirley Glasstone hughes Award - BDA
Schottlander Poster Prize - BSSPD
Industry (Stauman, Aichi, Schottlander)
Oral & Dental Research Trust
Northern & Yorkshire Health Authority
British Society of Periodontology
Shirley Glasstone Hughes Memorial prize, British Dental Association
ITI - Foundation for the Promotion of Oral Implantology
Director of Dental Education
Degree Programme Director BDS
Degree Programme Director BSc Oral & Dental Health Sciences
Director of Excellence in Learning & Teaching for School of Dental Sciences
- Vernazza CR, Rousseau N, Steele JG, Ellis JS, Thomason JM, Eastham J, Exley C. Introducing high-cost health care to patients: dentists' accounts of offering dental implant treatment. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2015, 43(1), 75-85.
- McAndrew R, Ellis JS, Playle R. An evaluation of the multiple mini-interview as a selection tool for dental students: a qualitative analysis. British Dental Journal 2012, 427(7), 331-335.
- Kelly SAM, Hyland RM, Ellis JS, Thomason JM, Moynihan P. Development of a patient-based questionnaire about emotional and social issues related to eating and dentures. Journal of Dentistry 2012, 40(8), 678-685.
- Kelly SAM, Hyland RM, Ellis JS, Thomason JM, Moynihan PJ. Development of a patient-based questionnaire about emotional and social issues related to eating with dentures. Journal of Dentistry 2012, 40(8), 678-685.
- Critchlow S, Ellis J, Field J. Reducing the risk of failure in complete denture patients. Dental Update 2012, 39, 427-436.
- Thomason JM, Kelly SAM, Bendowski A, Ellis JS. Two implant retained overdentures - A review of the literature supporting the McGill and York consensus statements. Journal of Dentistry 2012, 40(1), 22-34.
- Cotterill S, Horner P, Teasdale D, Ellis J, Thomason JM, Vernazza C, Bradley PM, Peterson J, Skelly G, Ball S. Effective embedding and integration of ePortfolios in medical and dental curricula. International Journal of Clinical Skills 2011, 5, 18-23.
- Ellis JS, Levine A, Bedos C, Mojon P, Rosberger Z, Feine J, Thomason JM. Refusal of implant supported mandibular overdentures by elderly patients. Gerodontology 2011, 28(1), 62-68.
- Ellis JS, Thomason JM, McAndrew R. A pilot study examining the effects of enhanced aesthetics on oral health related quality of life and patient's satisfaction with complete dentures. European Journal of Prosthetic and Restorative Dentistry 2010, 18(3), 116-122.
- Field JC, Banton CN, Germain PW, Ellis JS. Teaching and Assessment of Professional Attitudes in UK Dental Schools. European Journal of Dental Education 2010, 14(3), 133–135.
- Field JC, Rousseau N, Thomason JM, Exley C, Finch T, Steele JG, Ellis JS. Facilitation of implant provision in primary care. British Dental Journal 2009, 207(10), E20.
- Thomason JM, Feine J, Exley C, Moynihan P, Muller F, Naert I, Ellis JS, Barclay C, Butterworth C, Scott B, Lynch C, Stewardson D, Smith P, Welfare R, Hyde P, McAndrew R, Fenlon M, Barclay S, Barker D. Mandibular two implant-supported overdentures as the first choice standard of care for edentulous patients - the York Consensus Statement. British Dental Journal 2009, 207(4), 185-186.
- Ellis JS, Burawi G, Walls A, Thomason JM. Patient satisfaction with two designs of implant supported removable overdentures; ball attachment and magnets. Clinical Oral Implants Research 2009, 20(11), 1293-1298.
- Exley C, Rousseau NS, Steele J, Finch T, Field J, Donaldson C, Thomason JM, May CR, Ellis JS. Paying for treatments? Influences on negotiating clinical need and decision-making for dental implant treatment. BMC Health Services Research 2009, 9(7).
- Ellis J, Teasdale DW, Vernazza C, Cotterill SJ, Drummond P, Moss JD, Scott L, Thomason M. Effective use of ePortfolios and mobile technologies to support learning and assessment in Dentistry. In: ePortfolios, identity and personalised learning in healthcare education. 2008, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: HE Academy MEDEV Subject Centre.
- Ellis JS, Pelekis ND, Thomason JM. Conventional rehabilitation of edentulous patients: The impact on oral health-related quality of life and patient satisfaction. Journal of Prosthodontics 2007, 16(1), 37-42.
- Allen PF, Thomason JM, Jepson NJA, Nohl F, Smith DG, Ellis J. A randomized controlled trial of implant-retained mandibular overdentures. Journal of Dental Research 2006, 85(6), 547-551.
- Mack F, Mundt T, Ellis JS. Partial or full-mouth examination assessing the dental and prosthetic status among elderly individuals. European Journal of Prosthetic and Restorative Dentistry 2006, 14(4), 158-162.
- Mavrogiannis M, Ellis JS, Thomason JM, Seymour RA. The management of drug-induced gingival overgrowth. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2006, 33(6), 434-439.
- Thomason JM, Ellis JS, Jovanovski V, Corson M, Lynch E, Seymour RA. Analysis of changes in gingival contour from three-dimensional co-ordinate data in subjects with drug-induced gingival overgrowth. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2005, 32(10), 1069-1075.
- Thomason JM, Seymour RA, Ellis JS. Risk factors for gingival overgrowth in patients medicated with ciclosporin in the absence of calcium channel blockers. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2005, 32(3), 273-279.
- Ellis JS, Read GE, Thomason JM. A subjective study of dimensional stability of permanent acrylic resin complete denture bases after a second curing cycle. European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry 2004, 12(3), 105-108.
- Ellis JS. New Year Challenges: major challenges facing today's leaders of dental education. European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry 2004, 12(4), 143.
- Ellis JS, Morgan CL, Kirby JA, Taylor JJ, Thomason JM. Plasma TGF-β1 as a risk factor for gingival overgrowth. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2004, 31(10), 863-868.
- Ellis JS, Seymour RA, Taylor JJ, Thomason JM. Prevalence of gingival overgrowth in transplant patients immunosuppressed with tacrolimus. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2004, 31(2), 126-131.
- Seymour RA, Preshaw PM, Thomason JM, Ellis JS, Steele JG. Cardiovascular diseases and periodontology. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2003, 30(4), 279-292.
- Thomason JM, Seymour RA, Parry G, Ellis J. Concomitant immunosuppression as risk factors for cyclosporin-induced gingival overgrowth in organ transplant patients. Journal of Dental Research 2002, 81(special issue 1), A481 abstract no. 3936.
- Seymour RA, Ellis JS, Thomason JM. Risk factors for drug-induced gingival overgrowth. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2000, 27(4), 217-223.
- Ellis JS, Seymour RA, Steele JG, Robertson P, Butler TJ, Thomason JM. Prevalence of gingival overgrowth induced by calcium channel blockers: A community-based study. Journal of Periodontology 1999, 70(1), 63-67.
- Thomason JM, Ellis JS, Kelly PJ, Seymour RA. Nifedipine pharmacological variables as risk factors for gingival overgrowth in organ-transplant patients. Clinical Oral Investigations 1997, 1, 35-39.
- Monkman SC, Ellis JS, Cholerton S, Thomason JM, Seymour RA, Idle JR. Automated gas chromatographic assay for amlodipine in plasma and gingival crevicular fluid. Journal of Chromatography 1996, 678, 360-364.
- Thomason JM, Seymour RA, Ellis JS, Kelly PJ, Parry G, Dark J, Wilkinson R, Idle JR. Determinants of gingival overgrowth severity in organ transplant patients. An examination of the role of HLA phenotype. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 1996, 23, 628-634.
- Thomason JM, Seymour RA, Ellis JS, Parry G, Dark J, Idle JR. Iatrogenic gingival overgrowth in cardiac transplant patients. Journal of Periodontology 1995, 66, 742-746.
- Ellis JS, Seymour RA, Thomason JM, Butler TJ, Idle JR. Periodontal variables affecting nifedipine sequestration in gingival crevicular fluid. Journal of Periodontal Research 1995, 30, 272-276.
- Seymour RA, Ellis JS, Thomason JM, Monkman SC, Idle JR. Amlodipine-induced gingival overgrowth. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 1994, 21, 281-283.
- Seymour RA, Thomason JM, Ellis JS. Oral and dental problems in the organ transplant patient. Dental Update 1994, 21, 209-212.
- Thomason JM, Seymour RA, Ellis JS. The periodontal problems and management of the renal transplant patient. Journal of Renal Failure 1994, 16, 731-745.
- Ellis JS, Monkman SC, Idle JR, Seymour RA. Determination of nifedipine in gingival crevicular fluid: a capillary gas chromatographic method for nifedipine in microlitre volumes of biological fluid. Journal of Chromatography 1993, 621, 95-101.
- Ellis JS, Seymour RA, Monkman SC, Idle JR. Disposition of nifedipine in plasma and gingival crevicular fluid in relation to drug-induced gingival overgrowth. Journal of Periodontal Research 1993, 28, 373-378.
- Seymour RA, Ellis JS, Thomason JM. Drug-induced gingival overgrowth and its management. Journal of the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh 1993, 38, 328-332.
- Ellis JS, Seymour RA, Thomason JM, Monkman SC, Idle JR. Gingival sequestration of amlodipine and amlodipine-induced gingival overgrowth. The Lancet 1993, 341, 1102-1103.
- Ellis JS, Seymour RA, Monkman SC, Idle JR. Gingival sequestration of nifedipine induced gingival overgrowth. The Lancet 1992, 339, 1382-1383.
- Gharib I, Rolland SL, Bateman H, Ellis JS. Just One Thing: A novel patient feedback model. British Dental Journal 2017, 222(10), 797-802.
- Bateman H, Thomason JM, McCracken G, Ellis J. Developing assessment: involving the sessional clinical teacher. British Dental Journal 2016, 220(3), 129-132.
- McAndrew R, Ellis J, Valentine RA. Does a selection interview predict year 1 performance in Dental School?. European Journal of Dental Education 2017, 21(2), 108-112.
- Bateman HL, McCracken GI, Thomason JM, Ellis JS. Learning outcomes: Exploring implications of adopting a different level of detail. European Journal of Dental Education 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Kashbour WA, Rousseau N, Thomason JM, Ellis JS. Patients’ perceptions of implant placement surgery, the post-surgical healing and the transitional implant prostheses: a qualitative study. Clinical Oral Implants Research 2016, epub ahead of print.
- Ellis JS, Bateman H, Thomason JM, Whitworth J. Concerns about raising concerns. Medical Education 2015, 49(5), 514–515.
- Bateman H, Thomason JM, Ellis J. Patient non-attendance: utilising clinical time. The Clinical Teacher 2015, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Kashbour WA, Rousseau NS, Ellis JS, Thomason JM. Patients' experiences of dental implant treatment: A literature review of key qualitative studies. Journal of Dentistry 2015, 43(7), 789-797.
- Bateman HL, Ellis JS, Thomason JM. Virtual courses: enhancing a curriculum. European Journal of Dental Education 2015, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Bateman H, Ellis J, Stewart J, McCracken G. Using learning outcomes in dental education. British Dental Journal 2017, 223, 854-857.
- Kashbour WA, Rousseau NS, Thomason JM, Ellis JS. Provision of information on dental implant treatment: Patients’ thoughts and experiences. Clinical Oral Implants Research 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Blaylock P, Ellis JS, McCracken GI. The transition from dental school to postgraduate dental foundation training: strengthening the interaction between stakeholders. British Dental Journal 2018, 224(4), 269-273.
- Bateman H, Ellis J, Thomason JM, McCracken G. Enhancing Sessional Clinical Teacher Impact: Identifying the Challenges. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session. 2017, San Francisco, California: Sage.
- Ellis J, Gharib I, Rolland S, Bateman H. Patient Feedback; Just One Thing. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session. 2017, San Francisco, California: Sage.