Skip to main content

Translation and Interpreting Studies

Translation and Interpreting Studies

Translation and Interpreting (T&I) is a multi-faceted inter-discipline. Different fields interact with each other and generate ideas.

Translating and Interpreting programmes

In the School of Modern Languages we offer the opportunity to study Translating and Interpreting at all levels, from undergraduate level through to PhD.

You'll benefit from our excellent facilities, such as:

· an award winning Language Resource Centre

· state-of-the-art interpreting labs

The University's main library has an excellent collection of literature on translation and interpreting studies, including e-journals.

Translating and interpreting microphone

Interdisciplinary study

In today's world, trade and culture are becoming increasingly globalised. Understanding this and how translating and interpreting work as a whole, is an ongoing challenge for researchers and professional translators and interpreters.

This means that our research is interdisciplinary, reaching into areas such as:

  • education
  • sociology
  • politics
  • literature and creative writing
  • law
  • psychology

As well as expanding academic knowledge in translation and interpreting studies, our findings feed directly into our translator and interpreter training programmes.

Undergraduate Degrees

Our Translation and Interpreting degree focuses on developing your language skills to near-native fluency as well as equipping you with specialist and in-demand skills such as translating and interpreting.

Masters' Degrees

You can take your language study further and study for a masters in translation. If your focus has been on European languages, you can apply to study Professional Translation for European Languages MA.

We offer a suite of masters' programmes in Translating and Interpreting for Chinese. These world-renowned programmes consist of four MA pathways

We also offer Masters degrees in Film and Linguistics. The Linguistics MA is administered by the School of English.

Postgraduate Research Degrees

We offer a one-year Translation Studies MLitt research degree. You can also study research degrees in Translation Studies and Film Studies

Our Translating and Interpreting MPhil; PhD research programmes allow you to specialise Translating and Interpreting.