Dr Hawa Fathi
Teaching Fellow in Dental Materials and Technology
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +441912088529
- Address: (Level 7; Room 7.018)
School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4BW
- PhD in Materials Science (Glass-ceramics) - University of Sheffield
- MPhil Degree in Material Science – University of Sheffield
- B.Sc Degree in Dental Technology
Teaching support in dental technology aspects for undergraduate students, University of Sheffield, School of Clinical Dentistry (2014-2015).
Helping staff and PG students with their research projects, University of Sheffield, School of Clinical Dentistry (2014-2015).
International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- Undergraduate Teaching
Dental Materials to dental undergraduates through practical course and also dental materials seminars related to CSPD and CSCD courses for stage 3 BDS.
- Postgraduate Teaching
Dental Materials to MClinDent in Restorative Dentistry students through seminars/ discussions.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Deliver seminars, and practical teaching
Dental Materials Practical Course- stage 2 BDS
Lead of Dental Materials Course- MClinDent Restorative students.
Support teaching in TTU
Complete Denture Course - stage 3 BDS
Partial Denture Course- stage 3 BDS
Orthodontic Course- stage 3 BDS
Personal Tutor for stages 1, 2, 4 and 5 BDS students
Supervising MClinDent research project.
Biocompatibility of Dental Materials: Different novel ceramic materials are being developed and investigated for dental and medical applications. Particular areas of concern regarding these materials are strength and solubility and ways of improving these areas are being investigated.
Prosthodontic Materials: PMMA denture base resin has been used in dentistry to make dentures since the 2nd world war. The annual cost to the NHS in repairing broken appliances constructed in these materials is very high. Work is being carried out to try and improve the strength of these materials. Novel coating systems to prevent scratching of these materials in use is also being investigated.
- Fathi HM, Benonn HA, Johnson A. Nanocryl Coating of PMMA Complete Denture Base Materials to Prevent Scratching. European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry 2017, 25(3), 116–126.
- Fathi HM, Al-Masoody AH, El-Ghezawi N, Johnson A. The Accuracy of Fit of Crowns Made From Wax Patterns Produced Conventionally (Hand Formed) and Via CAD/CAM Technology. European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry 2016, 24(1), 1-7.
- Fathi HM, Johnson A. The effect of TiO2 concentration on the properties of apatite-mullite glass-ceramics for dental use. Dental Materials 2016, 32(2), 311-322.
- Fathi HM, Stokes C, Miller C, Johnson A. The effect of ZrO2 and TiO2 on solubility and strength of apatite-mullite glass-ceramics for dental applications. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 2014, 25(3), 583-594.
- Johnson A, Sinthuprasirt P, Fathi H, Pollington S. Current Glass-Ceramic Systems Used in Dentistry. In: Nandyala SH; and Santos JD, ed. Current Trends on Glass and Ceramic Materials. Bussum, The Netherlands: Bentham Science Publishers, 2013, pp.49-72.
- Fathi HM, Johnson A. The characterisation, evaluation and processing ability of a novel apatite-mullite glass-ceramic material. Periodical Scientific International Journal 2006.
- Fathi H, Johnson A, vanNoort R, Ward JM, Brook IM. The effect of calcium fluoride (CaF(2)) on the chemical solubility of an apatite-mullite glass-ceramic material. Dent Mater 2005, 21(6), 551-556.
- Fathi H, Johnson A, vanNoort R, Ward JM. The influence of calcium fluoride (CaF2) on biaxial flexural strength of apatite-mullite glass-ceramic materials. Dent Mater 2005, 21(9), 846-851.