Dr Nicholas Jakubovics
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6796
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 8807
- Address: Oral Biology
School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
I received a BSc in Biochemistry from the University of Cambridge and a PhD in Microbiology at the University of Warwick. In 1998 I started to apply my experience to the field of Oral Microbiology as a Post-Doctoral researcher in Prof. Howard Jenkinson's group at the Bristol Dental School. I obtained a National Institutes of Health Post-Doctoral Fellowship in 2004 to work in Dr Paul Kolenbrander's lab at the National Institute for Dental and Craniofacial Research in Bethesda, MD, USA. I joined Newcastle Dental School as Lecturer in Oral Microbiology in 2007 and became Senior Lecturer in 2014.
Roles and Responsibilities
Director and Senior Tutor for Stage 2 of the BDS Programme
Intercalation Co-ordinator within the School of Dental Sciences
Biological and GM Safety Supervisor (Dental Sciences) and Member of University Biosafety Committee
Associate Editor of the Journal of Dental Research and member of several editorial boards
Area of expertise
1994 BSc in Biochemistry (Cambridge)
1998 PhD in Microbiology (Warwick)
1998-2004 Post-Doctoral researcher, Bristol Dental School
2004-2007 Post-Doctoral Fellow, NIDCR, Bethesda, MD, USA
Society for Applied Microbiology (http://www.sfam.org.uk/); member of the Microbiologist Editorial Group
Society for General Microbiology
International Association for Dental Research
Google scholar: Click here.
SCOPUS: Click here.
For more information about my research group, please visit my blog at: https://blogs.ncl.ac.uk/nickjakubovics
Molecular mechanisms of adhesion and colonisation by oral streptococci.
Bacterial biofilm formation, and the structure of biofilm matrices.
Interactions and communication between bacteria in mixed-species biofilms.
The formation of biofilms on dental materials.
I have edited a book on Oral Microbial Ecology, published in 2013 (http://www.horizonpress.com/oral-ecology)
Dental caries and periodontitis (gum disease) are the leading causes of tooth loss in the Western World. Both of these diseases originate from dental plaque, a complex mixture of numerous different bacteria that accumulates on tooth surfaces between cleaning procedures. Detailed molecular studies of bacterial virulence factors require pure cultures of isolated strains, and therefore most of these studies have been conducted on bacteria in monoculture. However, it is becoming clear that bacteria adapt very rapidly to their surroundings and that they alter their make-up upon contact with other bacterial species or with a human host. My research group aims to identify changes that occur when one bacterial species interacts with another or with human tissues.
We are also interested in the structure of mixed-species biofilms, and in particular the nature of the extracellular matrix that surrounds bacterial cells and protects them from antimicrobial agents. We have shown that extracellular DNA is an important component of microbial biofilms such as dental plaque. We are developing enzymes to control biofilms by degrading the DNA. This work is focussed on a range of biofilms in the mouth and in the head and neck region as a whole, including biofilms that form on artificial speech valves, in the paranasal sinuses (causing chronic rhinosinusitis) and in the middle ear (causing glue ear).
Biofilm formation on artificial surfaces that are placed in the body is particularly problematic since, unlike our own tissues, the artificial surfaces do not contain protective mechanisms to limit microbial colonisation. Work in my lab is aimed towards understanding how micro-organisms interact with different surfaces such as acrylic materials used for prosthodontics, with a view to providing more effective measures for reducing microbial contamination.
Future ResearchFuture work will continue to be directed towards understanding the molecular mechanisms of bacterial cell-cell interactions and biofilm formation. The development of new agents for disrupting biofilm matrices is a high priority.
Lead supervisor for 5 PhD students.
International Association for Dental Research Innovation in Oral Care Award 2016 USD $75,000.
Director of Stage 2 of the BDS programme.
Course lead for BDS Stage 2 Microbiology for Dentistry course.
Teacher on Stage 1 BDS Cell Biology and Stage 5 BDS '.Current Opinion' course.
I supervise undergraduate student laboratory projects from Biomedical Sciences and I regularly supervise summer student projects in the lab.
I teach on the 'Genomics of Infectious Disease' module of the MSc in Genomic Medicine, parts of the MRes programme and on the MClinDent course in the School of Dental Sciences.
- Mohammed WK, Krasnogor N, Jakubovics NS. Streptococcus gordonii Challisin protease is required for sensing cell-cell contact with Actinomyces oris. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Robinson JC, Rostami N, Casement J, Vollmer W, Rickard AH, Jakubovics NS. ArcR modulates biofilm formation in the dental plaque colonizer Streptococcus gordonii. Molecular Oral Microbiology 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Kandemir N, Vollmer W, Jakubovics NS, Chen J. Mechanical interactions between bacteria and hydrogels. Scientific Reports 2018. In Press.
- Cao Y, Su B, Chinnaraj S, Jana S, Bowen L, Charlton S, Duan P, Jakubovics NS, Chen J. Nanostructured titanium surfaces exhibit recalcitrance towards Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilm formation. Scientific Reports 2018, 8, 1071.
- Rostami N, Shields RC, Yassin SA, Hawkins AR, Bowen L, Luo TL, Rickard AH, Holliday R, Preshaw PM, Jakubovics NS. A Critical Role for Extracellular DNA in Dental Plaque Formation. Journal of Dental Research 2017, 96(2), 208-216.
- Zheng W, Tan MF, Old LA, Paterson IC, Jakubovics NS, Choo SW. Distinct Biological Potential of Streptococcus gordonii and Streptococcus sanguinis Revealed by Comparative Genome Analysis. Scientific Reports 2017, 7(1), 2949.
- Naylor J, Fellermann H, Ding Y, Mohammed W, Jakubovics N, Mukherjee J, Biggs C, Wright P, Krasnogor N. Simbiotics: A Multiscale Integrative Platform for 3D Modeling of Bacterial Populations. ACS Synthetic Biology 2017, 6(7), 1194-1210.
- Jakubovics NS. The sixth sensor: A Candida albicans biofilm master regulator that responds to inter-kingdom interactions. Virulence 2017, 8(8), 1465-1467.
- Wakeling L, Jakubovics N, McHanwell S, Stewart J. Challenging the basic sciences 'learn and forget' culture. Medical Education 2016, 50(5), 578-579.
- Nicolas AP, Marsh M, Rajarajan N, Jakubovics N, Burgess JG, Reed M. Enzmatic biofilm prevention using a marine endonuclease - a new paradigm in the treatment of periprosthetic joint infections. In: Society of Academic and Research Surgery 2016 Annual Meeting. 2016, London: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Yassin SA, German MJ, Rolland SL, Rickard AH, Jakubovics NS. Inhibition of multispecies biofilms by a fluoride-releasing dental prosthesis copolymer. Journal of Dentistry 2016, 48, 62-70.
- Zheng WN, Mutha NVR, Heydari H, Dutta A, Siow CC, Jakubovics NS, Wee WY, Tan SY, Ang MY, Wong GJ, Choo SW. NeisseriaBase: a specialised Neisseria genomic resource and analysis platform. PeerJ 2016, 4, e1698.
- Zheng WN, Tan TK, Paterson IC, Mutha NVR, Siow CC, Tan SY, Old LA, Jakubovics NS, Choo SW. StreptoBase: An Oral Streptococcus mitis Group Genomic Resource and Analysis Platform. PLoS One 2016, 11(5), e0151908.
- Wee WY, Tan TK, Jakubovics NS, Choo SW. Whole-Genome Sequencing and Comparative Analysis of Mycobacterium brisbanense Reveals a Possible Soil Origin and Capability in Fertiliser Synthesis. PLoS ONE 2016, 11(3), e0152682.
- Stevens MR, Luo TL, Vornhagen J, Jakubovics NS, Gilsdorf JR, Marrs CF, Møretrø T, Rickard AH. Coaggregation occurs between microorganisms isolated from different environments. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 2015, 91(11), fiv123.
- Jakubovics NS, Robinson JC, Samarian DS, Kolderman E, Yassin SA, Bettampadi D, Bashton M, Rickard AH. Critical Roles of Arginine in Growth and Biofilm Development by Streptococcus gordonii. Molecular Microbiology 2015, 97(2), 281-300.
- Jakubovics NS, Burgess JG. Extracellular DNA in oral microbial biofilms. Microbes and Infection 2015, 17(7), 531-537.
- Jakubovics NS. Intermicrobial interactions as a driver for community composition and stratification in oral biofilms. Journal of Molecular Biology 2015, 427(23), 3662-3675.
- Kolderman E, Bettampadi D, Samarian D, Dowd SE, Foxman B, Jakubovics NS, Rickard AH. L-Arginine Destabilizes Oral Multi-Species Biofilm Communities Developed in Human Saliva. PLOS ONE 2015, 10(5), e0121835.
- Jakubovics NS. Saliva as the sole nutritional source in the development of multispecies communities in dental plaque. Microbiology Spectrum 2015, 3(3).
- Holliday R, Preshaw P, Bowen L, Jakubovics N. The ultrastructure of subgingival dental plaque, revealed by high-resolution field emission scanning electron microscopy. BDJ Open 2015, 1, 15003.
- Tan SY, Dutta A, Jakubovics NS, Ang MY, Siow CC, Mutha NV, Heydari H, Wee WY, Wong GJ, Choo SW. YersiniaBase: a genomic resource and analysis platform for comparative analysis of Yersinia. BMC Bioinformatics 2015, 16, 9.
- Jakubovics NS, Yassin SA, Rickard AH. Community Interactions of Oral Streptococci. Advances in Applied Microbiology 2014, 87, 43-110.
- Heydari H, Siow CC, Tan MF, Jakubovics NS, Wee WY, Mutha NVR, Wong GJ, Ang MY, Yazdi AH, Choo SW. CoryneBase: Corynebacterium Genomic Resources and Analysis Tools at Your Fingertips. PLoS One 2014, 9(1), e86318.
- Ang MY, Heydari H, Jakubovics NS, Mahmud MI, Dutta A, Wee WY, Wong GJ, Mutha NVR, Tan SY, Choo SW. FusoBase: an online Fusobacterium comparative genomic analysis platform. Database 2014, 2014, fusobase.
- Katharios-Lanwermeyer S, Xi C, Jakubovics NS, Rickard AH. Mini-review: Microbial coaggregation: ubiquity and implications for biofilm development. Biofouling 2014, 30(10), 1235-1251.
- Samarian DS, Jakubovics NS, Luo TL, Rickard AH. Use of a High-throughput In Vitro Microfluidic System to Develop Oral Multi-species Biofilms. Jove - Journal of Visualized Experiments 2014, (94).
- Shields RC, Mokhtar N, Ford M, Hall MJ, Burgess JG, ElBadawey MR, Jakubovics NS. Efficacy of a Marine Bacterial Nuclease against Biofilm Forming Microorganisms Isolated from Chronic Rhinosinusitis. PLoS One 2013, 8(2), e55339.
- Jakubovics NS, Shields RC, Rajarajan N, Burgess JG. Life after death: the critical role of extracellular DNA in microbial biofilms. Letters in Applied Microbiology 2013, 57(6), 467-475.
- Field CA, Gidley MD, Preshaw PM, Jakubovics N. Investigation and quantification of key periodontal pathogens in patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Periodontal Research 2012, 47(4), 470-478.
- Shakir A, ElBadawey MR, Shields RC, Jakubovics NS, Burgess JG. Removal of Biofilms from Tracheoesophageal Speech Valves Using a Novel Marine Microbial Deoxyribonuclease. Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery 2012, 147(3), 509-514.
- Preshaw PM, Walls AWG, Jakubovics NS, Moynihan PJ, Jepson NJA, Loewy Z. Association of removable partial denture use with oral and systemic health. Journal of Dentistry 2011, 39(11), 711-719.
- Nobbs AH, Jenkinson HF, Jakubovics NS. Stick to Your Gums: Mechanisms of Oral Microbial Adherence. Journal of Dental Research 2011, 90(11), 1271-1278.
- Kolenbrander PE, Palmer RJ, Periasamy S, Jakubovics NS. Oral multispecies biofilm development and the key role of cell-cell distance. Nature Reviews Microbiology 2010, 8(7), 471-480.
- Jakubovics NS. Talk of the Town: Interspecies Communication in Oral Biofilms. Molecular Oral Microbiology 2010, 25(1), 4-14.
- Jakubovics NS, Kolenbrander PE. The road to ruin: the formation of disease-associated oral biofilms. Oral Diseases 2010, 16(8), 729-739.
- Jakubovics NS, Valentine RA. A new direction for manganese homeostasis in bacteria: identification of a novel efflux system in Streptococcus pneumoniae. Molecular Microbiology 2009, 72(1), 1-4.
- Stoll KE, Draper WE, Kliegman JI, Golynskiy MV, Brew-Appiah RA, Phillips RK, Brown HK, Breyer WA, Jakubovics NS, Jenkinson HF, Brennan RG, Cohen SM, Glasfeld A. Characterization and structure of the manganese-responsive transcriptional regulator ScaR. Biochemistry 2009, 48, 10308-10320.
- Jakubovics NS, Brittan JL, Dutton LC, Jenkinson HF. Multiple adhesin proteins on the cell surface of Streptococcus gordonii are involved in adhesion to human fibronectin. Microbiology 2009, 155(11), 3572-3580.
- Jakubovics NS, Gill SR, Iobst SE, Vickerman MM, Kolenbrander PE. Regulation of gene expression in a mixed-genus community: stabilized arginine biosynthesis in Streptococcus gordonii by coaggregation with Actinomyces naeslundii. Journal of Bacteriology 2008, 190(10), 3646-3657.
- Jakubovics NS, Gill SR, Vickerman MM, Kolenbrander PE. Role of hydrogen peroxide in competition and cooperation between Streptococcus gordonii and Actinomyces naeslundii. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 2008, 66(3), 637-644.
- Thompson J, Jakubovics N, Abraham B, Hess S, Pikis A. The sim operon facilitates the transport and metabolism of sucrose isomers in Lactobacillus casei ATCC 334. Journal of Bacteriology 2008, 190(9), 3362-3373.
- Kerrigan SW, Jakubovics NS, Keane C, Maguire P, Wynne K, Jenkinson HF, Cox D. The role of Streptococcus gordonii surface proteins SspA/B and Hsa in platelet function. Infection and Immunity 2007, 75(12), 5740-5747.
- Kolenbrander PE, Palmer RJ, Rickard AH, Jakubovics NS, Chalmers NI, Diaz PI. Bacterial interactions and successions during plaque development. Periodontology 2000 2006, 42(1), 47-79.
- Jakubovics NS, Kelly CG, Stromberg N, van Dolleweerd CJ, Jenkinson HF. Differential binding specificities of oral streptococcal antigen I/II family adhesins for human or bacterial ligands. Molecular Microbiology 2005, 55(5), 1591-1605.
- Loimaranta V, Jakubovics NS, Hytonen J, Finne J, Jenkinson HF, Stromberg N. Fluid- or Surface-Phase Human Salivary Scavenger Protein gp340 Exposes Different Bacterial Recognition Properties. Infection and Immunity 2005, 73(4), 2245-2252.
- Jakubovics NS, Kerrigan SW, Nobbs AH, Stromberg N, van Dolleweerd CJ, Cox DM, Kelly CG, Jenkinson HF. Functions of cell surface-anchored antigen I/II family and Hsa polypeptides in interactions of Streptococcus gordonii with host receptors. Infection and Immunity 2005, 73(10), 6629-6638.
- Heddle C, Nobbs AH, Jakubovics NS, Gal M, Mansell JP, Dymock D, Jenkinson HF. Host collagen signal induces antigen I/II adhesin and invasin gene expression in oral Streptococcus gordonii. Molecular Microbiology 2003, 50(2), 597-607.
- Low YL, Jakubovics NS, Flatman JC, Jenkinson HF, Smith AW. Manganese-dependent regulation of the endocarditis-associated virulence factor EfaA of Enterococcus faecalis. Journal of Medical Microbiology 2003, 52(2), 113-119.
- Jakubovics NS, Smith AW, Jenkinson HF. Oxidative stress tolerance is manganese (Mn2+) regulated in Streptococcus gordonii. Microbiology 2002, 148(10), 3255-3263.
- Jakubovics NS, Jenkinson HF. Out of the iron age: new insights into the critical role of manganese homeostasis in bacteria. Microbiology 2001, 147(7), 1709-1718.
- Jakubovics NS, Smith AW, Jenkinson HF. Expression of the virulence-related Sca (Mn2+) permease in Streptococcus gordonii is regulated by a diphtheria toxin metallorepressor-like protein ScaR. Molecular Microbiology 2000, 38(1), 140-153.