Dr Paula Waterhouse
Clinical Senior Lecturer/Consultant
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7353
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5928
- Address: Child Dental Health
Newcastle Upon Tyne
My role encompasses teaching undergraduates, postgraduates and primary care dentists, leading the primary dental care outreach course, research and providing a clinical service alongside my NHS colleagues.
I graduated from Newcastle University with BDS (Hons) in 1990 and worked for a year as a House Officer at Newcastle Dental Hospital. I was appointed a temporary lectureship 1992-1993 and subsequent to this was appointed Clinical Lecturer in Child Dental Health at Newcastle. I was awarded FDS RCS with the Dean's Medal in 1993. Between 1993 and 2000 I undertook NTN and FTTA higher specialist training to consultant level and a part time PhD. I successfully obtained my PhD and intercollegiate Exit Fellowship in 2000.
In June 2007 I was appointed Clinical Senior Lecturer in Child Dental Health and Honorary Consultant in Paediatric Dentistry. I am Deputy Director of Dental Education and Lead for Equality and Fairness within the School.
Roles and Responsibilities
Senior Tutor for BDS
Stage Director for BDS 4
Regional Research Student Advisor (Postgraduate Tutor) for Dental Sciences
Course Leader for Primary Dental Care Outreach
Course Leader for stage 3 CDH
Clinical teaching of all 3 clinical years
Lecture and small group teaching of all 3 clinical years
Teacher for the Introduction to Dentistry course for Phase 1 students
Member of the BDS Board of Studies
Member the School's teaching committees
FDS RCS (Edinburgh) Deans Medal Awarded for best overall performance
FDS RCS (Paed)
CCST awarded Oct 1998
Intercollegiate Fellowship awarded October 2000.
PG Cert AP with distinction and FHEA
Honorary Registrar in Paediatric Dentistry, Newcastle Dental Hospital
Honorary Senior Registrar in Paediatric Dentistry, Newcastle Dental Hospital
Clinical Lecturer in Child Dental Health
I am an active member of the following societies:
British Society of Paediatric Dentistry, for which I have been Council Representative and northern branch Chairman
British Society of Disability and Oral Health
Teachers of Dental Sedation
Teachers in Paediatric Dentistry
British Society for Oral and Dental Research
International Association for Dental Research
International Association of Paediatric Dentistry
Honours and Awards
Shirley Glasstone Hughes Memorial Prize
Deans Medal for best overall performance in FDS RCS (Edinburgh)
European Society of Endodontology Annual Prize
Being a mother, watching rugby and hen-keeping!
I am a clinical academic in Paediatric Dentistry and my main research interests involve dental erosion in young people and endodontic treatment in children. Dental erosion, a type of tooth wear, is a condition which appears to be increasing in the younger population. I am involved in prevalence studies of erosion, whether fluoridated water impacts upon a populations experience of the condition, and whether the use of an index for measuring erosion can be used to initiate an appropriate care pathway for an individual. I am also interested in laboratory based investigation of erosion looking at the synegistic effects of different types of tooth wear and the effects of erosion upon tooth tissue at the nanoscale.
My PhD thesis investigated pulp therapy in the primary dentition at a time when major changes have occurred within clinical treatment guidelines. I take part in the UK and International debate on changing treatment modalities and have co-authored texts and clincial guidelines concerning this.
I have clinical expertise in providing dental care for children and I am active in engaging with junior hospital staff via supervision of research projects involving dental trauma, the medically compromised child and hypodontia. I am a revalidated NHS Clinical Trainer and Educational Supervisor (for higher specialist trainees).
My current work centres around my main research theme of dental erosion involving: gathering data on global prevalence rates, the effect of water fluoridation, and nanoscale laboratory studies. I have also studied the development of a partial index for dental erosion to be used by primary care practitioners.
Future work may include continuation of the laboratory based studies concentrating particularly upon monitoring techniques which could be used in a clinical environment.
Primary care based studies may be developed to train primary care practitioners in the use of a screening index for tooth wear.
Fellow of the Graduate School, supervising PhD and MPhil projects and previous Regional Research Student Advisor for Dental Sciences.
I have previously successfully supervised several Phd, MSc B Med Sci and MRes students.
I am presently supervising 3 PhDs.
External examiner for higher research degrees.
Keynote presentation in Chicago 2007, for the American Association of Paeditric Dentistry.
Keynote presentation in Hannover 2007, for the German Association of Paediatric Dentistry.
Annual Prize from the European Society of Endodontology.
Winner of the Shirley Glasstone-Hughes Prize.
I am a member of ASME and achieved a distinction in the Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice. I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I am involved in teaching all stages of the BDS course - pre-clinical and clinical
I am Teaching Lead for Paediatric Dentistry
Stage Director for Stage 4 and Senior Tutor
stage 1 Introduction to Dentistry
stage 2 Key Clinical Skills Course
stage 3 Paediatric Dentistry
Stage 4 Paediatric Dentistry
Stage 5 Paediatric Dentistry
Involved in Stage 3, 4 and 5 examinations
Course Leader for BDS PDC Outreach Course, Stage 5 Child Dental Health and Special Care Dentistry
External Examiner experience:
Cardiff University (Final BDS)
Leeds University (years 1, 2 and 3)
Belfast QUB (Paediatric Dentistry and Special Care Dentistry all years)
Edinburgh Dental Institute (Postgraduate MClinDent and DClinDent degrees)
General professional trainees
Pre and Post CCST Specialty Registrars
Section 63 courses for GDPs
External Examiner for The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
External Examiner for the Membership in Paediatric Dentistry
Revalidated NHS Clinical Trainer and Educational Supervisor
- O'Connor CJ, German M, Waterhouse PJ, Coulter J, Gharib I. Micro-CT Scanning Confirms Acceptable Marginal Fit Of Chairside Composite Crown. In: IADR General Session San Francisco California USA. 2017.
- Field JC, Waterhouse PJ, German MJ. The early erosive and abrasive challenge: a profilometric, electron microscopic and microhardness study using human, bovine and ovine enamel. European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry 2017, 25(2), 93-100.
- Holmes RD, Kowolik JE, Schrader SM, Waterhouse PJ. The Newcastle-Indiana Experience: A Transatlantic Educational Initiative for Dental Students. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session. 2017, San Francisco, California, USA: International Association for Dental Research.
- Austin SL, Mattick CR, Waterhouse PJ. Distraction osteogenesis versus orthognathic surgery for the treatment of maxillary hypoplasia in cleft lip and palate patients: a systematic review. Orthodontics & Craniofacial Research 2015, 18(2), 96-108.
- Field JC, German MJ, Waterhouse PJ. The erosive/abrasive challenge of bovine, human and ovine enamel. In: 93rd General Session & Exhibition of the International Association for Dental Research. 2015, Boston, MA: The International Association for Dental Research (IADR).
- Huew R, Maguire A, Waterhouse P, Moynihan P. Nutrient intake and dietary patterns of relevance to dental health of 12-year-old Libyan children. Public Health Nutrition 2014, 17(5), 1107-1113.
- Field J, German M, Waterhouse P. Qualifying the lapped enamel surface: a profilometric, electron microscopic and microhardness study using human, bovine and ovine enamel. Archives of Oral Biology 2014, 59(5), 455-460.
- Field J, German M, Waterhouse P. Using bearing area parameters to quantify early erosive tooth surface changes in enamel: a pilot study. Journal of Dentistry 2013, 41(11), 1060-1067.
- Huew R, Waterhouse P, Moynihan P, Kometa S, Maguire A. Dental caries and its association with diet and dental erosion in Libyan schoolchildren. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2012, 22(1), 68-76.
- Huew R, Waterhouse PJ, Moynihan PJ, Maguire A. Dental erosion among 12 year-old Libyan schoolchildren. Community Dental Health 2012, 29(4), 279-283.
- Huew R, Waterhouse PJ, Moynihan PJ, Kometa S, Maguire A. Dental erosion and its association with diet in Libyan schoolchildren. European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry 2011, 12(5), 234-240.
- Holmes RD, Waterhouse PJ, Maguire A, Hind V, Lloyd J, Tabari D, Lowry R. Developing an assessment in dental public health for clinical undergraduates attending a primary dental care outreach programme. European Journal of Dental Education 2011, 15(1), 19-25.
- Huew R, Waterhouse PJ, Moynihan PJ, Maguire A. Prevalence and severity of dental caries in Libyan schoolchildren. International Dental Journal 2011, 61(4), 217-223.
- Field J, Waterhouse P, German M. A rough idea? An alternative method for describing early erosive surface change. Journal of Applied Oral Science 2010, 18(5), 7.
- Field J, Waterhouse P, German M. Quantifying and qualifying surface changes on dental hard tissues in vitro. Journal of Dentistry 2010, 38(3), 182-190.
- Carrotte PV, Waterhouse PJ. A clinical guide to endodontics - update part 2. British Dental Journal 2009, 206(3), 133-139.
- Auad S, Waterhouse PJ, Nunn JH, Moynihan PJ. Dental caries and its association with sociodemographics, erosion and diet in schoolchildren from southeast Brazil. Pediatric Dentistry 2009, 31(3), 229-235.
- Hind V, Waterhouse PJ, Maguire A, Tabari D, Lloyd J. Developing a primary dental care outreach (PDCO) course - part 1: practical issues and evaluation of clinical activity. European Journal of Dental Education 2009, 13(4), 203-209.
- Maguire A, Hind V, Waterhouse PJ, Tabari D, Steen IN, Lloyd J. Developing a primary dental care outreach (PDCO) course - part 2: perceptions of dental students. European Journal of Dental Education 2009, 13(4), 210-217.
- Srinivasan V, Waterhouse P, Whitworth J. Mineral trioxide aggregate in paediatric dentistry. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2009, 19(1), 34-47.
- Waterhouse PJ, Auad SM, Nunn JH, Steen IN, Moynihan PJ. Diet and dental erosion in young people in south-east Brazil. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2008, 18(5), 353-360.
- Waterhouse PJ, Maguire A, Tabari D, Hind V, Lloyd J. The Development of a Primary Dental Care Outreach Course. European Journal of Dental Education 2008, 12(1), 8-16.
- Auad SM, Waterhouse PJ, Nunn JH, Steen N, Moynihan PJ. Dental erosion amongst 13- and 14-year-old Brazilian schoolchildren. International Dental Journal 2007, 57(3), 161-167.
- Jackson NG, Waterhouse PJ, Maguire A. Factors affecting treatment outcomes following complicated crown fractures managed in primary and secondary care. Dental Traumatology 2006, 22(4), 179-185.
- Srinivasan V, Patchett CL, Waterhouse PJ. Is there life after Buckley's Formocresol? Part I - A narrative review of alternative interventions and materials. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2006, 16(2), 117-127.
- Patchett CL, Srinivasan V, Waterhouse PJ. Is there life after Buckley's formocresol? Part II - Development of a protocol for the management of extensive caries in the primary molar. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2006, 16(3), 199-206.
- Rodd HD, Waterhouse PJ, Fuks AB, Fayle SA, Moffatt M. Pulp therapy for primary molars. UK National Clinical Guidelines in Paediatric Dentistry. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2006, 16(s1), 15-23.
- Waterhouse PJ. Pulp Therapy in the Primary Dentition. In: Mossey, P., Holsgrove, G., Davenport, E.S., Stirrups, D, ed. Essential Skills for the Dentist. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2006, pp.251-272.
- Ellis JS, Hobson RS, Waterhouse PJ, Meechan JG, Hogg SD, Whitworth JM, Thomason JM. Tutor perceptions of the use of a reflective portfolio within a pastoral tutor system to facilitate undergraduate personal development planning. European Journal of Dental Education 2006, 10(4), 217-225.
- Jackson NG, Waterhouse PJ, Maguire A. Management of dental trauma in primary care: A postal survey of general dental practitioners. British Dental Journal 2005, 198(5), 293-297.
- Deery C, Hosey M-T, Waterhouse PJ. Paediatric Cariology. London, UK: Quintessence Publishing Co Ltd, 2005.
- Heasman PA, Waterhouse PJ. Periodontal Disease in Children. In: Welbury, R.R., Duggal, M.S., Hosey, M.-T, ed. Paediatric Dentistry. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Waterhouse PJ, Thomason JM, Fitzgerald JL, Foster HE, Steen IN, Welbury RR. The dental attitudes, knowledge and health practices of patients with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. European Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2005, 6(4), 202-208.
- May J, Waterhouse PJ. Dental erosion and soft drinks: A qualitative assessment of knowledge, attitude and behaviour using focus groups of schoolchildren. A preliminary study. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2003, 13(6), 425-433.
- Waterhouse PJ, Nunn JH, Whitworth JM. Prostaglandin E2 and treatment outcome in primary molar pulp therapy. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2002, 12(2), 116-123.
- Waterhouse PJ, Nunn JH, Whitworth JM. Prostaglandin E2 and treatment outcome in pulp therapy of primary molars with carious exposures. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2002, 12(2), 116-123.
- Waterhouse PJ, Nunn JH, Whitworth JM. Paediatric dentistry: An investigation of the relative efficacy of Buckley's Formocresol and calcium hydroxide in primary molar vital pulp therapy. British Dental Journal 2000, 188(1), 32-36.
- Waterhouse PJ, Nunn JH, Whitworth JM, Soames JV. Primary molar pulp therapy - Histological evaluation of failure. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2000, 10(4), 313-321.
- Waterhouse PJ, Whitworth JM, Nunn JH. Prostaglandin E-2 and treatment outcome in primary molar pulp therapy. In: British Society for Dental Research : Annual Scientific Session. 2000, University of Lancaster, UK: Sage Publications.
- Waterhouse PJ, Hobson RS, Meechan JG. Autotransplantation as a treatment option after loss of a maxillary permanent incisor tooth: a case report. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 1999, 9(1), 43-47.
- Waterhouse PJ, Whitworth JM, Nunn JH. Development of a method to detect and quantify prostaglandin E2 in pulpal blood from cariously exposed, vital primary molar teeth. International Endodontic Journal 1999, 32(5), 381-387.