Dr Rachel Green
Clinical Lecturer in Oral Surgery
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8295
- Address: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
I gained my BDS from Dundee University and following this undertook junior positions based around the west coast of Scotland. Having always had an interest in Oral Surgery I initially joined Newcastle University as a Clinical Fellow and, following completion of my PhD, was subsequently appointed as a Clinical Lecturer. Having since competed specialist training, I continue to develop my clinical and academic practice thorough my current role.
- MFDS RSC (Edin)
- Newcastle Teaching Award
- Certificate in Advanced Studies in Academic Practice
Roles and Responsibilites
- Course leader for Stage 4 Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinical Attachement
- Significant contribution to the delivery of clinical teaching, lectures and seminars for Stages 3 and 4 Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Course
- Chair of the Board of Examiners for Stage 3 pt 1
- Involvement of all aspects of the examination process for Oral Diseases and Human Diseases courses
- Personal tutor providing pastoral support to 11 undergraduate BDS students
- Co-supervisor for 1 PhD student
- BDS admissions panel member
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Faculty of Dental Surgeons, Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
- Association of British Academic Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- International Association of Dental Research
- Elements of the educational process including; the use of technology to enhance the feedback process for students, patient feedgack as a component of the BDS curriculum, student perceptions and experiences of the academic process
- Patient and professional views and experience of oral premalignancy
- Living with uncertain disease
- Communication in health care
- ADEE Scholarship programme 2016 - Advancement of video dentistry in dental education
- BAOMS small research grant
- QUILT 'just one thing' grant
- Co-supervisor to 1 PhD student
ABAOMS 2013 - First prize - verbal presentation category
- Reviewer for the European Journal of Dental Education and Journal of Oral and Dental Research
Undergraduate Teaching Responsibilities
- Head and neck anatomy course - Former anatomy demonstrator involving head and neck anatomy teaching for Stage 1 BDS students
- Course lead for the Clinical introductory course - including lecture, seminar and practical based teaching
- Oral and Maxillofacial surgery course - significant contribution to the provision of clinical teaching, seminars and competency based assessment
- Involvement in OMFS course BDS examinations: question writing, standard setting, examining (OSCE, in-course assessment)
- Involvement in Human Diseases examinations: in-course examiner, co-exam board chair.
- Course lead for the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinical Attachment
- Oral and Maxillofacial surgery course - significant contribution to the provision of clinical teaching (minor oral surgery), seminars, lecturers and competency based assessment
- Human Diseases course - involvement in lectures and examinations (OSCE and in- course assessment), co-exam board chair
Postgraduate Teaching Responsibilities
- Involvement in the GPT oral surgery induction programme
- Contribute to the MFDS lecture programme
- Invited speaker for DF1 lecture programme
- Facilitator fo minor oral surgery training days as part of the Northern Deanery's lifelong learning programme
- Development of post graduate MOS courses for DF1 trainers
- Greenwood M, Beattie A, Green R, Durham J. Aspects of training in clinical medical sciences in dentistry (human disease): recent graduates’ perspectives from a UK dental school. European Journal of Dental Education 2013, 17(2), 114-121.
- Green R, Thomson PJ, Exley C, Steele JG. Understanding the transition from primary to secondary care: experiences of patients with oral precancer. In: British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Annual Scientific Meeting. 2011, Nice, France: Churchill Livingstone.
- Green R, Exley C, Thomson PJ, Steele JG. Understanding patient views and experience of oral precancer. In: International Association for Dental Research General Session (IADR 2010). 2010, Barcelona, Spain: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Staines KS, Green R, Felix DH. The management of fistulizing oral Crohn's disease with infliximab. Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine 2007, 36(7), 444-446.
- Green R, Bhatia K, McHugh S, Hodge P. Influence of Deprivation on Referral to a Specialist Periodontal Department. Journal of Dental Research 2006, 85 (Special Iss C), 498.
- Green RA, Exley C, Steele JG, Thomson PJ. Patients understanding of the unknown: oral precancer. In: Journal of Dental Research. 2014.