Dr Richard Holliday
NIHR Clinical Lecturer in Restorative Dentistry
- Address: Level 4 (4.016)
Newcastle School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am an NIHR Clinical Lecturer in Restorative Dentistry at the Newcastle Dental Hospital and School of Dental Sciences, Newcastle University. I have completed my specialist exams in Periodontology and am currently completing my specialist training in Restorative Dentistry.
My current research interests are focused on understanding the potential role of e-cigarettes as a quitting aid for dental patients and also investigating any effects on the oral tissues.
- British Society of Periodontology Poster (Research) Prize 2017
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT) Travel Prize 2017
- Research Impact Competition First Prize. (Centre for Oral Health Research, Newcastle University, 2015)
- British Society of Periodontology Poster (Research) Prize 2014
- SRRDG Poster Prize 2012. (Senior Registrars in Restorative Dentistry Group)
- John Smith Medal for MFDS part 1 (October 2009 diet), RCSEd. (Awarded for single highest score)
- New Graduate Award 2011. British Society for the Study of Prosthetic Dentistry (BSSPD).
- BDS prize in Restorative Dentistry (University of Sheffield, 2008)
- Roger Ball prize in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (University of Sheffield, 2008)
- First prize- Audit Competition 2010- British Society of Oral Surgery (BAOS)
- Highly commended (2nd prize), open paper award. BAOS/ European Federation of Oral Surgery Societies (EFOSS) joint meeting 2010.
- Premier Award 2009. Second prize in the Postgraduate section.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Academic representative for Senior Registrars in Restorative Dentistry Group (SRRDG), 2014/2015.
- Honorary Treasurer for SRRDG, 2015-2018.
- Conference organiser for SRRDG 2016.
- SRRDG representative on The British Society of Periodontology (BSP) Council, 2014/2015.
- Restorative StR representative on the Early Career Group of BSP, 2016-2018.
- BDS (Hons)
- MFDS RCSEd
- MFDS an eundem RCSEng
- M Perio RCSEd
- British Dental Association (BDA)
- The British Society of Periodontology (BSP)
- British Society of Prosthodontics (BSSPD)
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSEd)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCSEng)
- British Society for Oral and Dental Research (BSODR)
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- Specialty Registrar in Restorative Dentistry Group (SRRDG)
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT)
Area of expertise
- Restorative Dentistry
Google scholar: Click here.
SCOPUS: Click here.
Google scholar: Click here.
SCOPUS: Click here.
My research interests focus on understanding and reducing periodontal diseases through investigations in two distinct, but interrelated areas: subgingival dental plaque and risk factors such as smoking (in particular electronic cigarettes).
My primary area of research is on tobacco, nicotine and e-cigarettes relative to oral health, particularly periodontal diseases. Tobacco smoking is the largest environmental risk factor for periodontitis, the sixth most prevalent disease worldwide. My interests range from the interventions dental professionals can deliver to reduce smoking in their patients, to the effect of nicotine on periodontal fibroblasts.
A particular interest of mine is e-cigarettes, on which I have published several papers. I have recently completed a prestigious NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship to conduct a feasibility Randomised Controlled Trial (RCT) of e-cigarettes for smoking cessation or harm reduction within periodontal therapies. The RCT finished in the summer of 2018 and the results are currently being prepared for publication. I also have ongoing projects investigating the role of nicotine in periodontal pathogenesis and dental staining.
As part of my Masters in Clinical Research, I conducted a clinical trial (NIHR Portfolio Study. UKCRN ID: 16964) involving ultrastructural analysis of subgingival dental plaque biofilm using Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscopy. The particular focus of this work was to enhance our understanding of the biofilm extra-cellular matrix, in particular the role of extra-cellular DNA (eDNA).
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Small Pump Priming Grant. 2018, £9900.
- Centre for Oral Health Research, Newcastle University, Research Grant. 2018, £5000.
- British Society of Periodontology Research Grant. 2013, £3,700.
- Centre for Oral Health Research, Newcastle University, Research Grant. 2013, £3,700.
- Innovative engagement grant, Newcastle University. 2013, £500.
- National Institute for Health Research, Doctoral Research Fellowship, 2015-2018, 'Electronic cigarettes as a smoking cessation and harm reduction tool in patients with periodontitis: A mixed methods feasibility study.' 2015, £323,713.
- British Society of Periodontology Clinical Travel Fellowship. 2016, £4000.
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT) Travel Award. 2017, $500.
- MClinDent (2017-present) Staining effects of tobacco smoke and e-cigarette aerosol exposure on resin composite (Sobia Khan)
- MClinDent (2017-present) Staining effects of inhaled traditional and novel nicotine products on resin composites (Nabiya Shahroz)
- MClinDent (2018-present) Developing patient-related outcome measures for tooth wear - patients' perspectives (Rijula Karanjkar)
- Masters in Public Health (2017-2018) E-cigarette use in young adults in the UK: the views, opinions and motivations of 18-25 year old users (Rosa Evans)
- MClinDent (2015-2017) A questionnaire-based survey of UK dentists', dental therapists/hygienists' and dental nurses current opinions and knowledge towards smoking cessation and electronic cigarettes (Zohaib Ahmed)
- Field C, Bateman H, Holliday R, Wassell R. Clinical Performance. In: Wassell R, Nohl F, Steele J, Walls A, ed. Extra-Coronal Restorations. Cham: Springer, 2018, pp.11-34.
- Ahmed Z, Preshaw PM, Bauld L, Holliday R. Dental professionals’ opinions and knowledge of smoking cessation and electronic cigarettes: a cross-sectional survey in the north of England. British Dental Journal 2018, 225, 947–952.
- Holliday R, Ryan V, McColl E, Preshaw PM. Letter to the editor: RE: Comparison of periodontal parameters and self‐perceived oral symptoms among cigarette smokers, individuals vaping electronic cigarettes and never‐smokers: A pilot study. Journal of Periodontology 2018, 89(5), 515-516.
- Holliday R, Arnott D, Preshaw PM, Bauld L. Smoking: Developing the evidence base. British Dental Journal 2018, 224, 3-4.
- Holliday R, Amin K, Lawrence V, Preshaw PM. Tobacco education in UK dental schools: A survey of current practice. European Journal of Dental Education 2018, 22(2), e248-e252.
- Rostami N, Shields RC, Yassin SA, Hawkins AR, Bowen L, Luo TL, Rickard AH, Holliday R, Preshaw PM, Jakubovics NS. A Critical Role for Extracellular DNA in Dental Plaque Formation. Journal of Dental Research 2017, 96(2), 208-216.
- Holliday R, Kist R, Bauld L, Preshaw PM. E-cigarettes and oral health: a balanced viewpoint. Oral Diseases 2017, 23(8), 1180-1181.
- Holliday R, Preshaw PM, Bauld L. Smoking cessation: The role of e-cigarettes. British Dental Journal 2017, 222, 3.
- Holliday R, Kist R, Bauld L. E-cigarette vapour is not inert and exposure can lead to cell damage. Evidence-Based Dentistry 2016, 17, 2-3.
- Holliday R, Barclay S, Garnett M, Stacey F. Acidic Saliva Substitutes. British Dental Journal 2015, 218(8), 438-438.
- Heasman PA, Holliday R, Bryant A, Preshaw PM. Evidence for the occurrence of gingival recession and non-carious cervical lesions as a consequence of traumatic toothbrushing. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2015, 42(S16), S237-S255.
- Holliday R, Venugopal S, Howell A, Keys W. Operator's ability at assessing a high speed (air turbine) handpiece prior to use: an audit. British Dental Journal 2015, 218, E3.
- Holliday R, Venugopal S, Howell A, Key W. Operator's ability at assessing a high-speed (air turbine) handpiece before use: an audit. British Dental Journal 2015, 218(2), E3.
- Holliday R, Stubbs C. The Dental Perspective on Electronic Cigarettes: the good, the bad and the ugly. Oral Health Journal 2015, 16-26.
- Holliday R, Preshaw P, Bowen L, Jakubovics N. The ultrastructure of subgingival dental plaque, revealed by high-resolution field emission scanning electron microscopy. BDJ Open 2015, 1, 15003.
- Holliday R, Corson M, Horridge C. Electronic cigarettes: harm reduction or another addiction?; the dental perspective. Dental Update 2014, 41(8), 667-676.
- Holliday R, Lush N, Chapple J, Nohl F, Cole B. Hypodontia: Aesthetics and Function. Part 2: Management. Dental Update 2014, 41(10), 891-898.
- Lush N, Holliday R, Chapple J, Nohl F, Cole B. Hypodontia: Aesthetics and Functions Part 1: Aetiology and the Problems. Dental Update 2014, 41(9), 811-815.
- Holliday R, Alani A. Traditional and Contemporary Techniques for Optimizing Root Canal Irrigation. Dental Update 2014, 41, 51-61.
- Preshaw P, Holliday R, Law H, Heasman P. Outcomes of non-surgical periodontal treatment by dental hygienists in training: impact of site- and patient-level factors. International Journal of Dental Hygiene 2013, 11(4), 273-279.
- Holliday R, Beecroft E. Bilateral mandibular premolar dens invaginations: a case report. Case Reports in Dentistry 2012, 474013.
- Holliday R, Jackson I. Superior position of the mandibular foramen and the necessary alterations in the local anaesthetic technique: a case report. British Dental Journal 2011, 210(5), 207-211.
- Holliday R, Devlin M, Downie J. The Golden Proportion. Scottish Dental Magazine 2011, 50-51.
- Johnson S, Holliday R. A clinical audit into record keeping in oral surgery. Oral Surgery 2010, 3(4), 157-158.
- Turani D, Santini A, Holliday R. Resin-Composite Restorations, Can They Be Repaired Using Any Composite System?. Journal of Dental Research 2010, Special Issues (Meeting Abstracts).