Dr Sarah Rolland
Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8397
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 8191
- Address: Child Dental Health,
School of Dental Sciences,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (Newcastle, 2001)
- PhD (Newcastle, 2008)
- Bachelor of Medical Sciences (Hons) (Newcastle, 1998)
- Member of Faculty of Dental Surgery (Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, 2003)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (2004)
- MOrth (Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, 2011)
- MSc (Newcastle, 2011)
- FDS (Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 2015)
- Faculty of Dental Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- British / International Association for Dental Research
- British Orthodontic Society
- British Dental Association
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- North East of England Odontological Society
Roles and Responsibilities
- Degree Programme Director MSc in Orthodontics
- Director Stage 3 BDS course
- Orthodontics Course Leader
- Chair Stage 3 Part II BDS exams committee
- Member Stage 5 exams committee
- Newcastle BDA CCDAS representative (sub-professorial)
- Member Dental School Executive Committee
My main research interests in the field of dental materials science, with a focus on resin based dental materials and particularly their ability to cure and potential for breakdown. I have previously undertaken projects involving the tooth restoration interface, antibacterial properties of dentine adhesives, 2 body wear and colour stability of aesthetic restorative materials.
I am also supervising a PhD student investigating the impact of orthodontic appliances on eating related quality of life.
We recently completed an innovative group MSc research project, investigating parents willingness to pay for orthodontic treatment across 3 hospital orthodontic departments.
I am also actively involved in pedagogical research.
My PhD was focused on the interaction between dentine adhesives and root surface caries. Resin based adhesives may provide a means of treating root surface caries in a non-invasive manner. The long term efficacy of adhesives in this role is determined by their ability to penetrate into the carious lesion, inactivate bacteria within the lesion and achieve an adequate degree of cure in the hostile environment. A variety of novel techniques involving Raman microspectroscopy, confocal microscopy, light microscopy and caries sampling techniques have provided a unique insight into this potential application. Biofilm formation on the surface of these resins has also been investigated.
I have recently obtained $5000 and loan of an iTERO scanner from AlignTechnology to support an orthodontic research project.
Two small grants supported my PhD studies - Oral and Dental Research Trust (P&G) £1900, Oral and Dental Research Trust (3M ESPE) £1500.
I currently lead the undergraduate orthodontic course, which combines lectures, seminars and practical courses to give undergraduates an understanding of the role of the general dental practitioner in supporting and referring orthodontic patients. I contribute to other courses, including Histology, Embryology & Development and Child Dental Health.
Postgraduate Teaching / Research Support
I deliver seminars to restorative and orthodontic masters level students and am involved in the supervision of research projects at masters and PhD level.
- Steele J, White D, Rolland S, Fuller E. Children’s Dental Health Survey 2013. Report 4: The Burden of Dental Disease in Children England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Leeds: Health and Social Care Information Centre, 2015. 4.
- Carter LA, Geldenhuys M, Moynihan PJ, Slater DR, Exley CE, Rolland SL. The Impact of Orthodontic Appliances on Eating – young people’s views and experiences. Journal of Orthodontics 2015, 42(2), 114-122.
- Khabeer A, Whitworth JM, Rolland SL. Polymerization kinetics of resin cements after light activation through fibre posts: an in vitro study. International Endodontic Journal 2015, 48(3), 261-267.
- Rolland SL, McCabe JF, Imazato S, Walls AWG. A Randomised Trial Comparing the Antibacterial Effects of Dentine Primers against Bacteria in Natural Root Caries. Caries Research 2011, 45(6), 574-580.
- Rolland SL, Walls AWG, McCabe JF, German MJ. Use of micro-Raman spectroscopy to investigate hybrid layer quality in demineralized root dentine. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B: Applied Biomaterials 2010, 95B(1), 62-68.
- Rolland SL, Hobson RS, McHanwell S. Clinical competency exercises: some student perceptions. European Journal of Dental Education 2007, 11(3), 184-191.
- Hobson R, Rolland S, Rotgans J, Schoonheim-Klein M, Best H, Chomyszyn-Gajewska M, Dymock D, Essop R, Hupp J, Kundzina R, Love R, Memon RA, Moola M, Neumann L, Ozden N, Roth K, Samwel P, Villavicencio J, Wright P, Harzer W. Quality assurance, benchmarking, assessment and mutual international recognition of qualifications. European Journal of Dental Education 2008, 12(Supplement 1), 92-100.
- Rolland SL, Carrick TE, Walls AW, McCabe JF. Dentin decontamination using chloramine T prior to experiments involving bacteria. Dental Materials 2007, 23(12), 1468-1472.
- Rolland SL, McCabe JF, Robinson C, Walls AWG. In vitro biofilm formation on the surface of resin-based dentine adhesives. European Journal of Oral Sciences 2006, 114(3), 243-249.
- McCabe JF, Yan Z, Al Naimi OT, Mahmoud G, Rolland SL. Smart materials in dentistry. Australian Dental Journal 2011, 56(s1), 3-10.
- McCabe JF, Yan Z, Ai Naimi OT, Mahmoud G, Rolland SL. Smart materials in dentistry - future prospects. Dental Materials Journal 2009, 28(1), 37-43.
- Molyvda S, Rolland SL, McCabe JF. Comparing 2 and 3-body wear of dental materials. Journal of Dental Research 2002, 81(special issue 1), A257 abstract no. 1984.
- McCabe JF, Molyvda S, Rolland SL, Rusby S, Carrick TE. Two- and three-body wear of dental restorative materials. International Dental Journal 2002, 52(5), 406-416.
- Yassin SA, German MJ, Rolland SL, Rickard AH, Jakubovics NS. Inhibition of multispecies biofilms by a fluoride-releasing dental prosthesis copolymer. Journal of Dentistry 2016, 48, 62-70.
- Vernazza CR, Anderson L, Hunter AI, Leck HC, OConnor SD, Smith GR, Stokes RJ, Rolland SL. The Value of Orthodontics: Do Parents’ Willingness-to-Pay Values Reflect the IOTN?. Journal of Dental Research Clinical & Translational Research 2018, 3(2), 141-149.
- Gharib I, Rolland SL, Bateman H, Ellis JS. Just One Thing: A novel patient feedback model. British Dental Journal 2017, 222(10), 797-802.
- Ellis J, Gharib I, Rolland S, Bateman H. Patient Feedback; Just One Thing. In: IADR/AADR/CADR General Session. 2017, San Francisco, California: Sage.
- Vernazza CR, Rolland SL, Chadwick B, Pitts N. Caries experience, the caries burden and associated factors in children in England, Wales and Northern Ireland 2013. British Dental Journal 2016, 221(6), 315-320.
- Rolland SL, Treasure E, Burden DJ, Fuller E, Vernazza CR. The orthodontic condition of children in England, Wales and Northern Ireland 2013. British Dental Journal 2016, 221(7), 415-419.