About the School
We are a leading centre for academic research and teaching in geography, politics and sociology.
The School of Geography, Politics and Sociology (GPS) was formed in 2003. It combined three separate departments, each of which have a long history of teaching and research. Geography has been taught at Newcastle University since 1927, Politics for more than 50 years and Sociology for almost 40 years.
Teaching and research
Teaching programmes encompass single and joint honours undergraduate degree programmes. There is a suite of taught Masters' programmes and postgraduate research programmes.
The School’s research is world-renowned and internationally-oriented. It builds on the strengths of its three disciplines of geography, political science and sociology. Research is inter-disciplinary and engages with public policy concerns and debates.
Two leading research centres are owned by the School of Geography, Politics and Sociology.
These are the Policy Ethics And Life Sciences Research Institute (PEALS) and the Centre for Urban and Regional Development Studies (CURDS).
Head of School Professor William Maloney is a political scientist.
Each of the subject areas has a Deputy Head of School. These are:
The School has Directors for each of its main activities:
- Dr Simon Tate (Director of Excellence in Learning and Teaching)
- Dr Simon Woods (Director of Postgraduate Studies)
- Professor Robert Hollands (School Research Director)
- Dr Maarja Luhiste (School Director for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion)
GPS has a dedicated Professional Services team led by School Manager Nicola Kelly. Nicola Kelly.
Until the completion of the Henry Daysh Building (which will become the home of GPS - Phase 1 is expected to open in early 2020) the School teaching office is currently located in the Armstrong Building, room 2.02.
- Geography is based in the Daysh Building (named after the University’s first Professor of Geography, Sir Henry Daysh).
- Sociology is situated in Windsor Terrace
- Politics has its own building next to the Robinson Library.