Dr Ian O'Flynn
Senior Lecturer in Political Theory
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 2087507
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 2085069
I have been at Newcastle University since 2004. I teach mainly on issues concerning the nature and requirements of democracy in multicultural and multinational societies. My main research interest is in deliberative democracy, but I also work on topics such as compromise, referendums and political integration. I am the author of Deliberative Democracy and Divided Societies (2006) and my articles have appeared in journals such as British Journal of Political Science and Political Studies. I was a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Essex and have also held visiting positions at Harvard University, the University of Pennsylvania and the Australian National University.
I am one of the editors of the ECPR Press. If you are interested in publishing a book with us, then please feel free to contact me.
PhD (2002) Queen's University, Belfast
MA (1998) University College, Cork
BA (1996) University College, Cork
BMus (1988) University College, Cork
- Political theory, especially deliberative democracy, shared intentions, compromise, the public interest, political integration.
- Comparative politics, especially deeply divided societies, power sharing, referendums, democratic transitions, deliberative networks.
POL3059 Democracy and the Constitution (module leader; semester 1)
POL3106 Democracy in Deeply Divided Societies (module leader; semester 2)
- Levy R, Simpson A, O'Flynn I, Flaherty G. Designing Referendums for Peacemaking: The Case of Bougainville. Australasian Parliamentary Review 2018, 33(2), 6-40.
- O'Flynn I, Caluwearts D. Deliberation in Deeply Divided Societies. In: Bächtiger, A; Dryzek, J; Mansbridge, J; Warren, M, ed. Oxford Handbook of Deliberative Democracy. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2018, pp.742-754.
- O'Flynn I. Democratic Innovations and Theories of Demcoracy. In: Elstub,S; Escobar,O, ed. The Handbook of Democratic Innovation and Governance. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2018, pp.forthcoming. In Press.
- O'Flynn I. Pulling Together: Shared Intentions, Deliberative Democracy and Deeply Divided Societies. British Journal of Political Science 2017, 47(1), 187-202.
- O'Flynn I, Russell D. Deepening Democracy: The Role of Civil Society. In: Cordell, K; Wolff, S, ed. Routledge Handbook of Ethnic Conflict: Second edition. London: Routledge, 2016, pp.219-228.
- O'Flynn I. Deliberative Democracy for a Great Society. Political Studies Review 2015, 13(2), 207–216.
- O'Flynn I, Curato N. Deliberative democratization: a framework for systemic analysis. Policy Studies 2015, 36(3), 298-313.
- Luskin R, O'Flynn I, Fishkin J, Russell D. Deliberating Across Deep Divides. Political Studies 2014, 62(1), 116-135.
- Cinalli M, O'Flynn I. Pluralism and Deliberative Democracy. In: Elstub, S; McLaverty, P, ed. Deliberative Democracy: Issues and Cases. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2014, pp.82-97.
- Cinalli M, O'Flynn I. Public Deliberation, Network Analysis and the Political Integration of Muslims in Britain. British Journal of Politics and International Relations 2014, 16(3), 428-451.
- O'Flynn I, Sood G. What Would Dahl Say?: An Appraisal of the Democratic Credentials of Deliberative Polls and Other Mini-Publics. In: Grönlund, K; Bächtiger, A; Setälä, M, ed. Deliberative Mini-Publics: Practices, Promises, Pitfalls. Colchester, London: ECPR Press, 2014, pp.41-58.
- Jones P, O'Flynn I. Can a Compromise be Fair?. Politics, Philosophy and Economics 2013, 12(2), 115-135.
- O'Flynn I, Weale A, ed. The Value and Limits of Rights: Essays in Honour of Peter Jones. London: Routledge, 2013.
- Jones P, O'Flynn I. Internal Conflict, the International Community and the Promotion of Principled Compromise. Government and Opposition 2012, 47(3), 395-413.
- O'Flynn I, Weale A. Introduction: The value and limits of rights: essays in honour of Peter Jones. Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy (Special Issue on 'The Value and Limits of Rights: Essays in Honour of Peter Jones') 2012, 15(4), 387-394.
- O'Flynn I, Russell D. Deepening Democracy: The Role of Civil Society. In: Cordell, K; Wolff, S, ed. Routledge Handbook of Ethnic Conflict. London: Routledge, 2011, pp.225-235.
- O'Flynn I, Russell D. Should Peace Agreements Recognise Women?. Ethnopolitics 2011, 10(1), 35-50.
- O'Flynn I. Taking the Broader View: The Public Interest, Deliberative Democracy and Political Ethics. In: Brooks, T, ed. New Waves in Ethics. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave, 2011, pp.259-277.
- O'Flynn I. Deliberating About the Public Interest. Res Publica 2010, 16(3), 299-315.
- O'Flynn I. Deliberative Democracy, the Public Interest and the Consociational Model. Political Studies 2010, 58(3), 572-589.
- O'Flynn I. Democratic Theory and Practice in Deeply Divided Societies. Representation 2010, 46(3), 281-293.
- O'Flynn I. Progressive Integration (and Accommodation, too). In: Taylor R, ed. Consociational Theory: McGarry/O’Leary and the Northern Ireland Conflict. London: Routledge, 2009, pp.264-278.
- O'Flynn I. Democratic Autonomy, Women’s Interests and Institutional Context. In: de Wispelaere J; McBride C; O’Neill S, ed. Recognition, Equality and Democracy: Theoretical Perspectives on Irish Politics. London: Routledge, 2008, pp.61-77.
- O'Sullivan P, O'Flynn I, Russell D. Education and A Shared Future: Options for Sharing and Collaboration in Northern Ireland Schools. Belfast: Queen's University Belfast, 2008.
- Fishkin J, Luskin R, O'Flynn I, Russell D. A Deliberative Poll on Education: What Provision do Informed Parents in Northern Ireland Want?. Newcastle upon Tyne: Newcastle University, 2007.
- O'Flynn I. Democratic Autonomy, Women's Interests and Institutional Context. Irish Political Studies 2007, 22(4), 455-471.
- O'Flynn I. Divided Societies and Deliberative Democracy. British Journal of Political Science 2007, 37(4), 731-751.
- O'Flynn I. Deliberative Democracy and Divided Societies. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2006.
- O'Flynn I. Democratic Values and Power Sharing. In: O'Flynn I; Russell D, ed. Power Sharing: New Challenges for Divided Societies. London: Pluto, 2005, pp.15-29.
- O'Flynn I, Russell D, ed. Power Sharing: New Challenges for Divided Societies. London: Pluto, 2005.
- O'Flynn I. Why Justice Can't Have It All: In Reply to O'Neill. Ethnicities 2004, 4(4), 545-561.
- O'Flynn I. The Problem of Recognising Individual and National Identities: A Liberal Critique of the Belfast Agreement. Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy 2003, 6(3), 129-153.