Skip to main content

Change of Circumstances

Discover what you need to do if you have a change in your circumstances as a research student

During your studies, you may find that situations arise which require you to change your study arrangements. These can include needing to interrupt your studies for a temporary period, changing from full-time to part-time study, or undertaking fieldwork away (outside study) from the campus. 

If a change is required, this will require approval from the Dean of Postgraduate Studies.

It's important to first discuss your circumstances with your supervisor(s) to seek their advice and guidance. Your supervisor(s) will also need to provide support for the change that you’re requesting when you complete the application form. 

You should also inform your Graduate School as soon as possible about any change in your circumstances so they can ensure the appropriate procedure is followed. You can get further information and support from your Graduate School.

Retrospective requests are not normally approved.

Alternative support

If you are uncomfortable speaking to your supervisor or your Graduate School, you can also seek advice from the Students’ Union, including the Student Advice Centre or, if appropriate, Student Health and Wellbeing Services.

Implications for Council Tax Exemption

Full-time, fully registered students are exempt from paying Council Tax.  Should your circumstances change you must notify the Local Authority of this. Please see the PGR Council Tax page for further information.

Advice and guidance for specific circumstances