Student Progress

BRP cards and Right to Study checks

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Collection and Right to Study

BRP Collection

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Collection and eVisas

When you apply for your visa outside of the UK, for a programme longer than 6 months, you will either be issued with a 90-day vignette in your passport to allow you to enter the UK, or you may be given an e Visa which you can access through the UKVI View and Prove your immigration status web pages.

If you are issued with a 90-day vignette, you will also be issued with a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card, which you should collect on your arrival in the UK.

You should collect your BRP card as soon as you can on your arrival in Newcastle. 

Right to Study

Proving your Right to Study

The University is required to check that your immigration permission permits you to study in the UK. You will also have to provide any new immigration documents you receive, if you extend your UK immigration permission or obtain a new passport while you are registered at Newcastle University.

If you are collecting your BRP card from the University, your right to study will be checked at your appointment to collect your BRP card. You do not need to make additional arrangements to have your right to study checked.

Right to study check

A right to study check is the process where the university checks you immigration documents to determine if you have the correct permission to study in the UK.

This process involves:

  • Taking a copy of your current passport
  • Checking and taking a copy your visa or BRP card
  • Checking the date entered the UK

Your right to study check

If you:

  • have collected a BRP card from the Post Office or had a BRP card delivered to your home; or
  • have an entry clearance vignette in your passport covering the whole of your programme; or
  • have entered the UK through an e Gate without a visa, or an immigration stamp; or
  • have any other evidence of your immigration permission,

You do not need to make an appointment to have your right to study checked. Please see below for times and locations of our right to study drop in.

Please refer to the procedure for BRP collection if you are collecting your biometric residence permit card from the University.

You should bring the following documents to your right to study check:

  • Your passport (in all cases)
  • Your BRP card (if you have one), or other cards showing your immigration permission.
  • Your boarding pass or ticket, if you entered the UK through an e Gate, or your passport was not stamped on your arrival at the UK border.

You can complete your right to study check

On level 2, King's Gate between 11am - 2pm Monday - Friday

Electronic or ‘e’ Visas – UK Immigration ID check

eVisas are issued when applicants use the UKVI App to make a visa application. Some students making a visa application in the UK will only receive an eVisa, while some students will receive an eVisa and a BRP card.

You can view your eVisa online.

eVisa and a BRP card

If you receive a BRP card and an e Visa, please bring your BRP card to a right to study check, as above.

eVisa only

If you have entered the UK on an eVisa, you should send a copy of your passport, your share code and your boarding pass or ticket to Please give your full name and student number in the e-mail.

If you have been issued with a eVisa following a visa application in the UK, you should send your share code to

In order to generate a share code you should:

1. Go to and click ‘start now’
2. Select the document you used on your application and enter the details
3. Select ‘other’ when prompted for the reason and enter ‘right to study’

Other evidence of immigration permission 

Examples of immigration permission includes the following categories (but not limited to these categories): Student visa, Dependant visa, BNO visa, Visitor visa (even if you did not have to apply for this visa in advance of travelling to the UK), EUSS Pre-settled and Settled status, Skilled Worker visa, Global Talent visa, Indefinite leave to remain, leave outside the immigration rules such as humanitarian protection and asylum routes. 

If you have other documents which prove your right to study, for example, evidence of a recent visa application, please send it to

If you have a visitor visa (either a vignette inside your passport or a visa granted on arrival), you should bring your passport and proof of travel to a right to study check, as above.

If you hold EUSS status (settled or pre-settled) and there is a visa note on your S3P account, you can send your share code by email to

It is very important that you provide documents which prove your right to study. If you fail to do so, your registration is at risk. If you have any queries about what you should provide for your right to study check, please e-mail

If you have any queries or concerns about your immigration status, please contact the Visa Support Team at as soon as possible.

Check your visa

It is important that you check your BRP card or your eVisa, and follow the recommended steps to correct any mistakes

You should check your BRP card or your eVisa immediately and report any errors to the Visa Support Team as soon as possible. 

It should show:

  • your full name;
  • visa expiry and issue date;
  • type of visa;
  • Newcastle University’s sponsor licence number: CKTK52NU0;
  • working conditions

Duration of your visa 

Your Student Route visa will normally last for the duration of your programme, plus some additional weeks or months at the end.

You must make sure that the length of your visa is correct:

  • programmes of 12 months or more: duration of programme + 4 months;
  • programmes of 6-12 months: duration of programme + 2 months;
  • pre-sessional programmes: duration of programme + 1 month;
  • programmes of less than 6 months: duration of programme + 1 week

Your BRP card is your visa, showing your permission to stay in the UK and the conditions under which you can stay. Keep it in a safe place.

If you lose your BRP card or passport, follow our advice on replacing lost and stolen immigration documents.

Correcting mistakes

If there is a mistake on your visa, please follow the steps below to get the visa corrected.

You can report errors relating to:

Personal details, work permission, visa expiry date and other remarks on the BRP, Vignette and E-Visa.

Your BRP expiry date may be 31.12.2024 even if you have been granted a longer visa. This is because the UKVI is moving to e-visas in 2024. Please check your visa decision letter for your correct expiry date and, the letter attached to your BRP for more information.