Student Progress

Bringing your family to the UK

Bringing your family to the UK

Find out how to bring your family and friends to the UK.


If you’re coming to the UK as a postgraduate student on a programme of 9 months or more, or as a financially sponsored postgraduate student on a programme of 6 months or more, you may be eligible to bring your dependants with you under the Points Based System (PBS).

Babies born in the UK as PBS dependants

It is not mandatory for a baby born in the UK to apply for a Student dependant visa. If you would like to apply for a Student dependant visa for a baby born in the UK, please use our guide Babies born in the UK (PDF: 358KB).

Without Student dependant status, your baby:

  • will only benefit from access to NHS healthcare for the first 3 months from their birth
  • may be unable to re-enter the UK, unless you obtain entry clearance as a PBS dependant, if they travel with you overseas

Family and friends as visitors

You may wish to invite friends and family to visit you while you’re studying here. If your family are non-EEA residents, they may need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa, previously known as a General Visitor visa, before travelling to the UK.

There are some steps you can take to assist their Standard Visitor visa application:

  • obtain a certificate of registration from S3P or from the helpdesk located on Level 2, King’s Gate
  • write a personal letter of invitation for your friend/family member(s). This can be a simple letter inviting them to visit you in the UK. You should include their names, the dates you’d like them to visit and, if possible, the address in the UK where they will be staying
  • photocopy your student visa


If your friends and family would like to visit you to attend your congregation ceremony, you will also need a letter from the Congregations Office confirming you’ve been invited to attend your congregation ceremony. Please allow one week for this letter to be produced.

When you have all of the above documents, send them to your friend/family member(s). They must then apply for a Standard Visitor visa. They will need their passports and some bank statements for this. Full details on the procedure and the required supporting documents can be found on the Home Office website.

Visitor visa applications can take some time to process at busy times, so please encourage your friends and family to apply well in advance of their intended visit.

Visa team support

If you have a family member already in the UK as a Student dependant, the Visa Support Team may be able to assist you with an application for further leave to remain as a Student dependant. 

You should refer to the UKCISA website for guidance on making the visa application.

The Visa Support Team cannot assist with Student dependant or Standard Visitor visa applications for family members wishing to enter the UK.