Student Progress

Lost/stolen passport, visa and BRP

Lost and stolen immigration documents

If you lose your passport or BRP card in the UK or overseas, you will need to arrange to have your immigration documents replaced as soon as possible. If you are outside the UK, you should not try to travel to the UK without taking the necessary steps.


If you lose your passport, you should contact your nearest embassy to begin the process of obtaining a new passport. If you're in the UK, you will need to apply for a full passport. If you are overseas (but not in your home country), you may need to obtain a temporary travel document to allow you to travel to the UK or your home country.

Visa in your passport

If your visa is in your lost passport, you will also need to apply for a replacement visa before you travel.

If you're in the UK, you will need to apply for a Biometric Residence Permit card. This will replace the visa in your lost passport. You will need to apply for this using the Transfer of Conditions application form - there is a charge for this.

If you're outside of the UK, you will need to make a Student Route application, but you will not need a new CAS – there is a charge for this.

Biometric Residence Permit card (BRP)

If you lose your BRP card, you will need to take the following steps:

  • Ensure you’ve made a thorough search for your card - once you report the loss, it can’t be reversed and your card will be cancelled
  • Notify UKVI
  • Report the loss to the local police (wherever you have lost the card). Try to obtain a crime reference number, if possible
  • Inform the Visa Support Team.  We will send you further advice on what to do next

If you’re outside the UK, you will not be able to replace your lost BRP card straight away. Instead, you should apply for a Single Entry Replacement BRP, which you can use to enter the UK. There will be a charge for this.

When you return to the UK, you should apply for a new BRP card as soon as possible and ideally before your entry clearance vignette expires by completing the BRP(RC) form. There is a charge for a postal application and this can take up to 8 weeks to be processed. If you don’t make your application within 3 months of reporting the lost BRP card, you can face a civil penalty of up to £1000.

Help from the Visa Support Team

When you notify us that you have lost your BRP card, we will send you information about what to do next.

We will ask you to complete a BRP (RC) form and collect all relevant supporting documents. Once you’ve done this you will need to contact us and we’ll arrange to check your BRP (RC) application with you.