Student Progress

Travelling Outside of the UK

If you're planning to travel outside of the UK during your studies, you will need to check the immigration requirements for the country you are intending to visit by contacting the relevant embassy or consulate.

When applying for a tourist/visitor visa, you are normally required to show evidence that you intend to:

  • return to the UK at the end of your travels, or
  • return to your home country at the end of your travels

You can provide an onward ticket as evidence of your intentions.

Schengen visa scheme

If you plan to travel to other parts of Europe during or at the end of your studies, you may need to apply for a Schengen visa. This visa allows travel to one or more of the 26 countries in the Schengen space on a single visa.

Not everyone will require a Schengen visa for their travels. You should check with the embassy of the country you wish to travel to for their specific requirements.

How to apply for a Schengen visa

The UKCISA website has information and guidance on the application process.

You will need to follow the application process for the country you wish to travel to. At busy times of the year, such as before the Christmas, Easter and summer vacations, your application may take longer to process, so you will need to make your Schengen visa application in plenty of time.

Proof of student status

You will need to provide proof of your student status with your Schengen visa application. For most countries you will need to provide a Certificate of Registration, which can be obtained through S3P

Some Schengen countries have advised that you may need a Certificate of Registration with additional information. If you require a certificate of registration for one of the following countries, you can obtain this from the Student Services helpdesk at Level 2 King's Gate:

Denmark, Iceland, Italy, Malta, Spain and Sweden. 

Lost and stolen immigration documents

Replacing your lost or stolen passport, visa and BRP card can be difficult and expensive, so you need to make sure you keep them safe. Consider using the safe facilities in your accommodation, if available.

If you do lose your documents or they are stolen, please see our Lost and Stolen Passport page for information on what you will need to do to organise a replacement.

Returning to the UK on a Standard Visitor Visa

If you're planning to return to the UK for your Congregation ceremony, you may need to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa. Not all nationalities need to apply for this visa in advance of arrival in the UK, however for information about the visa and application process, see the Home Office website.