International Students

Visa & Immigration

Visa and Immigration Information

Find out if you need a visa or entry clearance to study in the UK and what to do when you arrive.

National of EEA or Switzerland

If you are a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) country or of Switzerland you do not require a visa or immigration permission to study in the UK. Further immigration guidance relating to European Economic Area Nationals is available on the Home Office website.

Non-EEA students

Most non-EEA students need to apply for entry clearance permission before departure to study in the UK.

The type of visa you need will depend on the length of time you will be studying in the UK for.

Travelling to the UK – eGates (new for 2019)

Students who hold a biometric passport from one of the following countries can take advantage of the eGates when travelling to the UK:

Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or USA.

There will be eGates at the following port of entry:

Birmingham, East Midlands, London City, Luton, Stansted, Heathrow, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle, Bristol, Cardiff and Gatwick Airport, as well as Eurostar terminals in Brussels-Midi/ Zuid and Paris Gare du Nord.


Contact us

If you have any visa queries, you can contact us for help. Complete our enquiry form and select 'Student Resources and Records' followed by 'Visa Support' so your query comes straight to us.