International Students

Tier 4 pilot

Tier 4 pilot

Newcastle University is part of the UK government's pilot to streamline Tier 4 visa applications.


We are pleased to be one of a small number of UK universities selected to be part of this Tier 4 visa pilot.


The pilot is open to one year master's students wanting to start their studies in 2019Applying for a Tier 4 visa through this pilot means that you:

  • experience a streamlined Tier 4 visa application process
  • do not need to submit academic qualifications or evidence of funds
  • get six months leave at the end of your course as an opportunity to look for work in the UK
  • can include your dependants in your visa application. If you apply together, they will not have to provide evidence of their maintenance
  • will be supported by our Visa Support Team through the new process

You will still need to meet the Tier 4 Immigration Rules to get your visa. You can find out more in Annex 6 of the Tier 4 policy guidance on the UK Government website.


A Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) is an electronic document confirming our sponsorship of you to study in the UK.

How do I get a CAS?

You will need a new, valid CAS each time you apply for a Tier 4 visa.

Our admissions team will email your CAS to you around 3 months before you start your course. This may take a few weeks during the summer when the admissions departments are very busy.

What is on my CAS?

When you receive your CAS, you must check that the details are correct. If there are any errors you must inform us immediately.

Your CAS will state your personal details and details of your course, such as:

  • course title and level
  • tuition fees charged and paid
  • qualifications used for admissions
  • Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate, if required

Qualifications listed on your CAS

As you are part of the Tier 4 visa pilot you do not need to provide the qualifications listed on your CAS.

However, you must have the qualification documents available in case the Home Office request them as part of a spot check. Any documents not in English or Welsh must be professionally translated into English.

The Home Office Tier 4 Policy Guidance has further details on appropriate translations.


The documents and certificates you will need for the Tier 4 visa pilot application.

BRP Card

The Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card is your visa and shows your immigration status and conditions while you are in the UK. This information is for people applying for a visa from outside the UK.

Entering the UK with your 30-day visa and collecting your BRP card

By applying to come to the UK for more than six months, you will get a visa in your passport. As a Newcastle student you then need to collect your BRP card from a designated Post Office. We do not provide an Alternative Collection Location (ACL) code.

If you are an entry clearance applicant you need to provide the University's postcode so that you can collect your BRP card from a local Post Office.

You must not travel to the UK before or after the dates on your 30 day visa. You can refer to our guidance to help you enter the UK.

You must collect your BRP card within 10 days of arriving in the UK. Your decision letter will tell you where and when you need to go to collect your card. You will need to remember your passport, decision letter and proof of your current UK address when you go to collect it.

Course registration and ID checking

You will need both your BRP card and passport to register for your course of study. Visit the pre-arrival site for information about the documents you need for registration.

Studying at Newcastle University London?

You can find out about the documents you need for registration at our Newcastle University London campus. Our visa support service on campus will be able to help you if you have any problems.

Example of a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).


If you have dependants making a Tier 4 visa application at the same time as you, they can benefit from this pilot too.

You and your family can enjoy the benefits of this Tier 4 visa pilot. Your dependants just need to make their Points Based System (PBS) dependant application at the same time as your Tier 4 visa application. They will have to meet the relevant visa requirements, but do not need to submit evidence of funds with their visa application.

Dependants are:

  • your husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner
  • your children aged under 18 years old

For guidance on whether you can bring your family with you to the UK as dependants, see the UKCISA website.


How to apply for a Tier 4 pilot visa from inside or outside of the UK.

You need to make sure that you get your visa in time for the start of your course, course inductions and welcome talks. However, you cannot make a Tier 4 application more than three months before the start of your course. If you do so, your application may be rejected.

You do not need to state within the visa application form that you are applying under the Tier 4 Pilot scheme. The CAS you receive will state this if you are on an eligible programme.