Dr Abdul Karim Aldohni
Senior Lecturer in Law, Postgraduate Taught Programmes Director
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7237
- Address: Newcastle Law School
21-24 Windsor Terrace
Newcastle upon Tyne
I joined Newcastle Law School in 2008 after I completed my PhD at the University of Leeds. In 2009 I was awarded a one year Research Fellowship of the Institute of Financial Services/ Henry Grunfeld Foundation.
My research and teaching focus on certain areas of financial law including financial regulation, Islamic finance, corporate finance and consumer credit. I published a monograph in 2011, The Legal and Regulatory Aspects of Islamic Banking: A comparative look at the UK and Malaysia. The book provides a critical analysis of the UK legal and regulatory banking framework in relation to Islamic banking while it also includes a comparative element with Malaysia. The book was reviewed by Sir William Blair (Journal of Business Law 2013, Issue 2) and received positive remarks.
PhD, School of Law, University of Leeds.
LLM(Intl. Business Law), Department of Law,University of Wales(Aberystwyth).
LLB, Faculty of Law, University of Aleppo.
PGCert Advanced Studies in Academic Practice, Newcastle University.
Roles and Responsibilities
Director of Postgraduate Taught Programmes (2014- 2015, 2017- )
Chair of the Postgraduate Taught Board of Studies (2014-2015, 2017- )
PGR Deputy Degree Programme Director (2010- 2012, 2016 - 2017)
PGR Selector (2010- 2012, 2016- 2017)
UG Third Year Tutor (2012- 2014)
External Examiner Appointments
City, University of London, City Law School (2016- )
Dublin City University, School of Law and Government (2015- )
Research Degrees Examination
University of Leeds, School of Law, LLM by research thesis (November 2017)
University of Bristol Law School, PhD thesis (June 2014)
University of Leeds, School of Law, PhD thesis (February 2013)
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Society of Legal Scholars
Financial Law and Banking Regulation; Islamic Banking and Finance; Consumer Credit; Commercial Law and Corporate Finance.
- The indirect effects of the 2008 financial crisis on the UK financial market:
Law and Finance After the Financial Crisis: The Untold Stories of the UK Financial Market (Routledge- 2017)
- High cost credit and consumer protection
- Securitization and Islamic capital markets:
The Law of Islamic Capital Markets in the UK and EU (under contract with Edward Elgar 2017)
I supervised successful PhD candidates in the areas of Islamic banking and finance, capital markets and investors’ protection and comparative anti-market abuse regimes. I am currently supervising PhD candidates in the areas of Shareholders protection and derivative claims, and D&O insurance.
If you would like information on reading for a research degree at Newcastle Law School please see www.ncl.ac.uk/nuls/postgraduate/research/index.htm
Member of the editorial board, LexisNexis Encyclopedia of Banking Law (2013- present)
Member of the editorial board, Butterworths Financial Regulation Services (2012- present)
Co-convenor of Newcastle Finance and Financial Law Research Group [a cross Faculty-interdisciplinary research group] (2012-2015).
ifs School of Finance/Henry Grunfeld Foundation Research Fellow (2009-2010)
Contributor to LexisNexis Encyclopedia of Banking Law (2008-2015)
2016/17- £3633.44 NE ESRC Impact Acceleration Fund (with Prof. TT Arvind [Newcastle Law School] and Dr Orkun Akseli [Durham Law School]).
2014/15- £1806 Society of Legal Scholars, Legal Scholarship Fund.
2009/10- £18000 ifs School of Finance/Henry Grunfeld Foundation Research Fellowship.
Conference and Workshop Papers
'The Quest for Social and Economic Sustainability in Islamic Financial Institutions: the Challenge of the two-fold governance structure' , Cambridge Corporate Governance Handbook Symposium [solicited contribution], University of Oslo (12-14 March 2018).
'High-Cost Credit: the FCA proposed changes to credit card and overdraft rules' invited speaker at Westminster Business Forum Keynote Seminar 'Priorities for regulating consumer credit in the UK - standards, consumer protection and managing the growth of unsecured lending' Sixty One Whitehall, London (12th October 2017).
'High Cost Short Term Credit and the Quest for Better Consumers Protection' Newcastle Law School- Law, Innovation & Society Workshop (11th May 2016).
'Delivering Excellence in Islamic Finance Education at Western Higher Education Institutions: Developing Human Capital' Newcastle Law School (14th January 2015).
Organised and presented at Faculty Finance and Financial Law Research Group 3rd Symposium ' High Cost Credit: A Necessary Evil or a Useful Solution to Fill the Funding Gap' (4th July 2013).
'Religious Values: A curse or a blessing for corporate governance’ CGIR Conference on Corporate Governance Bundles, Cambridge Judge Business School (28th September 2012).
‘Regulating Islamic Banking Operations within a Conventional Market Framework’ Faculty Finance and Financial Law Research Group- Seminar Series, Newcastle Law School (25th July 2012).
'The Legal and Regulatory Challenges of Islamic Banking in the UK Market: How could the industry participate to the promotion of the legal and regulatory frameworks?’ Islamic Finance Workshop- ifs School of Finance, London (2nd February 2011).
‘Towards a Better Regulatory Framework for Islamic Banking in the UK’ Northern Commercial Lawyers Group, Newcastle Law School (11th November 2010).
'The Legal and Regulatory Challenges of Islamic Finance', Invited speaker at IFN Roadshow, London (16th September 2009).
[LAW3010] Company Law (lectures and seminars)
[LAW8143] Corporate Governance and Corporate Finance (Module Co-ordinator)
[NBS8244] Islamic Finance and Islamic Economics (Module Co-ordinator, lectures and seminars)
[NBS8245]The Legal and Regulatory Aspects of Islamic Banking (Module Co-ordinator, lectures and seminars)
I have also taught Introduction to English Law and Contract (UG), Equity (UG) and International Sale of Goods(PG).
- Aldohni AK. The UK New Regulatory Framework of High-Cost Short-Term Credit: Is There a Shift Towards a More "Law and Society" Based Approach?. Journal of Consumer Policy 2017, 40(3), 321–345.
- Aldohni AK. Is Ethical Finance the Answer to the Ills of the UK Financial Market? A Post-Crisis Analysis. Journal of Business Ethics 2016, epub ahead of print.
- Aldohni AK, ed. Law and Finance after the Financial Crisis: The Untold Stories of the UK Financial Market. Abingdon; New York: Routledge, 2017.
- Aldohni AK. Introduction: providing a different narrative: the 2008 financial crisis and the UK financial market. In: Aldohni, AK, ed. Law and Finance after the Financial Crisis: The Untold Stories of the UK Financial Market. Abingdon; New York: Routledge, 2017, pp.1-7.
- Aldohni AK. Exploring the myth of ethical finance in the UK financial market post 2008 financial crisis: the prospects and challenges. In: Aldohni, AK, ed. Law and Finance after the Financial Crisis: The Untold Stories of the UK Financial Market. Abingdon; New York: Routledge, 2017, pp.99-115.
- Aldohni AK. Conclusion: the lessons to be learned from the now told stories of the 2008 financial crisis. In: Aldohni, AK, ed. Law and Finance after the Financial Crisis: The Untold Stories of the UK Financial Market. Abingdon, UK: Routledge, 2017, pp.135-139.
- Aldohni AK. Islamic Banking and the UK New Legal and Financial Regulatory Architecture: The Potential Challenges Ahead. Banking and Finance Law Review 2016, 31(3), 443-465.
- Aldohni AK. Islamic Finance in Europe, Towards A Plural Financial System Edited by Valentino Cattelan. Ecclesiastical Law Journal 2016, 18(2), 247-249.
- Aldohni AK. Book Review: Risk and Regulation of Islamic Banking edited by Mervyn K. Lewis, Mohamed Ariff and Shamsher Mohamad. Journal of International Banking Law & Regulation 2016, 31(2), 110-112.
- Aldohni AK. The Quest for a Better Legal and Regulatory Framework for Islamic Banking. Ecclesiastical Law Journal 2015, 17(1), 15-35.
- Aldohni AK. Morality and Religion: Complementing or Complicating Corporate Governance. Journal of Religion and Business Ethics 2014, 3, 1-15.
- Aldohni AK. Reclaiming Islamic Finance: Dubai’s Race to the Top and the Challenges Ahead. Journal of International Banking law and Regulation 2014, 29(9), 542-848.
- AK Aldohni. Loan Sharks v. Short-Term Lenders: How do the Law and Regulators Draw the Line?. Journal of Law and Society 2013, 40(3), 420-449.
- Aldohni AK. Soft law, self-regulation and cultural sensitivity: The case of regulating Islamic banking in the UK. Journal of Banking Regulation 2014, 15(2), 164–179.
- Aldohni AK. Islamic Finance in Newcastle University. In: Belabes, A.S., Belouafi, A., Trullols, C, ed. Islamic Finance in Western Higher Education: Developments and Prospects. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012, pp.141-155.
- Aldohni AK. Corporate Finance Law in the UK and EU, edited by Dan Prentice and Arad Reisberg [Book Review]. Banking and Finance Law Review 2012, 28(1), 149-153.
- Aldohni AK. Book Review, Jewish Law in Transition: How Economic Forces Overcame the Prohibition Against Lending on Interest, by Hillel Gamoran. Ecclesiastical Law Journal 2012, 14(1), 121-122.
- Aldohni AK. The Legal and Regulatory Aspects of Islamic Banking: A Comparative Look at the United Kingdom and Malaysia. Abingdon: Routledge, 2011.
- Aldohni AK. The Bank that Rocked: Does the problem lie in the global business model of conventional banking?. In: Gray, J and Akseli, O, ed. Financial Regulation in Crisis?: The Role of Law and the Failure of Northern Rock. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2011, pp.88-105.
- Aldohni AK. Foundations of Islamic Banking and Finance. Kent, UK: ifs School of Finance, 2010.
- Abdul Karim Aldohni. The Challenge of Islamic Banking Disputes in The English Courts: The Applied Law. Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law 2009, 24(6), 350-352.
- Aldohni AK. Islamic Banking Challenges Modern Corporate Governance: The Dilemma of Sharia Supervisory Board. The Company Lawyer 2008, 29(5), 156-160.
- Aldohni AK. Proposed Changes to the UK Depositors' Compensation Scheme: Can Islamic Banks Benefit?. Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law 2008, 23(8), 412-415.
- Aldohni AK. The Emergence of Islamic Banking in the UK: A Comparative Study with Muslim Countries. Arab Law Quarterly 2008, 22(2), 180-198.
- Aldohni AK. The UK Prudential Banking Regulation and Islamic Banks: Has the Financial Services Authority Achieved its Regulatory Objectives. Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation 2008, 23(7), 382-386.
- Aldohni AK. Book Review: Islamic Finance in Europe: Towards A Plural Financial System Ed. by ValentinoCattelanCheltenham, Edward Elgar, 2013, Studies in Islamic Finance, Accoutning and Governance, xi + 234pp. Ecclesiastical Law Journal 2016, 18(2), 247-249.