Skip to main content

History of Newcastle
Law School

History of Newcastle
Law School

The late Emeritus Professor D.W. Elliott has written a brief history of Newcastle Law School.

We've taught law at Newcastle upon Tyne since 1923. The Armstrong College of the federal University of Durham first taught the subject.

King's College

Armstrong College and Newcastle upon Tyne Medical School combined in 1935. They became 'King's College'. In 1963, the Durham Colleges and King's College were re-constituted. They became the Universities of Durham and Newcastle upon Tyne respectively.

Faculty of Law

From 1923 to 1994, there was a Faculty of Law, first at the federal University of Durham. It came to the University of Newcastle upon Tyne from 1963.

Until 1963 all law graduates in the North East had degrees from the federal University of Durham. But they had read law in Newcastle at Armstrong College or King's College. After that date, Newcastle law graduates took a Newcastle law degree.

Newcastle Law School

In 1994, the Faculty of Law became a department, known as Newcastle Law School. Further re-structuring created a new Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in 2002. Newcastle Law School is one of nine constituent Schools.

In 2006 the University of Newcastle upon Tyne adopted the name 'Newcastle University'.

More from Newcastle Law