Student Wellbeing

International Integration

International Integration

Advice and guidance for International Students about studying in the UK, finance and wellbeing.



International integration activities are provided by the Student Life Unit to support the wellbeing of international students.

Studying in the UK is a very rewarding experience and can provide you with the opportunity to experience a new culture, meet new people, forge new friendships and improve your English skills.

However, we recognise that it may also be a challenging time and there may be some things that you may struggle with such as:

If you are finding any of the above difficult we would encourage you to participate in the many activities available through the University and we would like to reassure you that we can help.

International integration activities are provided by the International Office to support the wellbeing of international students.

Financial support

Studying overseas is challenging, both personally and financially. Help is available in the form of scholarships and awards.

Health and Disability Support


We know it is often difficult for international students to understand how the health system works in the UK. Our guide to the Medical Services for International Students (PDF: 585KB) will help you to understand the wide variety of services available.

Support for international students with a disability

Information for students with a sensory or physical impairment, medical condition, or long term illness Disability Support.

If you require Urgent Help please click the action button below. 

Need to Talk to Someone?

To make the most of your time at Newcastle University, it is important that you are happy and healthy. However, it is not uncommon to feel sad and lonely when you are away from your home, friends and family especially if this is the first time you have experienced living independently.

At times like this you may feel that you need to talk to your family or friends, but you may not want to worry them, or you may feel ashamed that you are not coping or worried that you will disappoint them. You may experience some of the following:

  • difficulty in sleeping
  • mood changes, depression, anger, irritability
  • loss of identity
  • lack of confidence
  • isolation

In the UK, it is not unusual to go and talk to a therapist for help if you are struggling emotionally or psychologically. The Student Health and Wellbeing Service can help you.

All of our qualified and experienced therapists have worked with many international students and understand some of the cultural issues that can affect you. The service is used by home and international students, it is without charge and is confidential.

We do not inform anyone that you have attended the service, this includes staff from your course, and notes are not added to your school records.

Support offered to students following distressing international events

If you are affected by international events please be assured that the following help and assistance is available:

Emotional support

When distressing events take place that we or our families and friends are personally involved in, it is often a traumatic time emotionally and psychologically.

It is obviously very normal to feel very distressed in these circumstances. People in this situation may feel anxious about themselves, their friends and family and the future, they may struggle with their sleep, with their concentration and motivation to work. This is all usual in such difficult circumstances.

If these types of difficulties become more long term, for example two to three months after the events then we would advise you to access the Student Health and Wellbeing Service or your GP.

We would also recommend that you speak to your friends and families for support. If you feel you would benefit from more intensive support such as counselling then please access the service. This would be about helping you process and explore the emotional and psychological difficulties you are experiencing.

Staff in the Student Health and Wellbeing Service would not be in a position to discuss the political implications of any event.

In addition to the above you could also speak with one of the Chaplaincy Team.


Impact on your studies, examinations and assignments

If you are struggling with your studies because of these events we would recommend that you talk to your personal tutor. You could also consider submitting a Personal Extenuating Circumstance (PEC) form.