Skip to main content

Guest Visitors and Going Away

Find out what you need to do when guests come to stay or you're temporarily going away.

So that we can ensure everyone is safe and accounted for, there's a few things you need to do if you're going to have visitors to stay in your accommodation with you, or you're leaving your room for a few days.

Overnight Guests

We want you to feel at home during your time living in University Accommodation and understand that having friends to stay is part of that. However, the safety and comfort of everyone living in our residences is extremely important, so we have some rules in place for overnight guests to keep you, your flatmates, and your guests safe and happy.  

You are responsible for your guests and their behaviour at all times, so it’s important to only invite guests to stay who you know well and trust.  

It’s also recommended to let your flatmates know when you’re having guests to stay, to avoid any shocks or awkward encounters if they find a stranger in the kitchen or bathroom.  

Overnight guest conditions: 

  • We should be notified if you intend to have an overnight visitor via the Overnight Visitor Request Form. 
  • Visitors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by their parent or guardian. 
  • We may exclude any visitor where we believe it to be necessary for the health, safety, or welfare of others, or to protect our property. 
  • We may ask your visitor to leave on any reasonable grounds (such as their behaviour, or the need for evacuation of the building). 
  • You are responsible for your visitors’ behaviour and for sharing the relevant Health & Safety information with them, such as fire evacuation procedures. 

The number of visitors you may have, and the length of time they can stay, depends on your accommodation type. 

Temporarily going away

We are aware that you may be away for an extended period of time, particularly during the holidays. For the health and safety of all residents, you must inform us if you will not be in your residence for a period of seven days or more during your tenancy. To do so, please fill out this form.