Skip to main content

Leaving Us

Whether you're at the end of your contract, or leaving early, we’re here to help.

Moving out

We hope you've had a brilliant time living in accommodation but all good things must come to an end and you'll need to move out when your contract ends. Don't worry, you'll receive a departure email from our Customer Services team with everything you need to know about the moving out process. 

You're responsible for leaving your accommodation in the same condition as when you arrived - use our handy departure checklist to make sure that you have done everything you need to before you leave us. 

If you have any questions about moving out, please get in touch.

Can I leave any belongings?

When leaving your accommodation, it is vital that you take all of your belongings with you. You're responsible for making sure the room is left empty so that our team can make sure your room is thoroughly cleaned for the next tenant. 

If you have belongings or food that you no longer need, consider donating them. We work with the British Heart Foundation to collect supplies every year. We also collaborate with local food banks to collect unopened, long-life items and the Students' Union organises the "Leave Newcastle Happy" initiative, which limits waste. 

Find out more about how to donate different items below. If you are unsure what can be donated or need more help, contact ResLife

Leaving early

Your contract with us does not include a notice period. This means that if you decide to leave early, you'll be responsible for paying rent until the contract ends. If you find someone to replace you and move into your room, they can take over your contract and payments (if they are not already contracted for University accommodation). Find out more about this in the Residences Handbook 23-24.

Withdrawing from University

If you withdraw from the University, it is your responsibility to let us know. Your school won't tell us, so you need to keep us informed. Liability terms vary for students living in partnership accommodation. Contact your accommodation provider for more information.

Your questions answered