Careers Service

Application Process

Application Process

Find out how the application process to dental school works.

How to Apply

Applications for undergraduate degrees in dentistry are administered by UCAS. See the UCAS Dentistry Subject Guide for more information. 


Becoming a dentist requires completing a General Dental Council (GDC) approved dental course

The courses available are:

  • Four year accelerated graduate entry course: graduate entry to dentistry is extremely competitive, most schools prefer graduates with a 2:1 or above in a biomedical or healthcare related degree.
  • Five year standard course: some dental schools offering five year undergraduate courses will consider graduates of other disciplines.
  • Six year pre-dental course: some dental schools offer a six year course (including a foundation one year pre-dental course) for applicants who do not meet the entry requirements to apply for the five year course.

Search and apply for all dentistry courses on the UCAS website

Applications for dentistry should be submitted to UCAS by 15 October, the year before the course starts. 

Transferring to dentistry after first year at Newcastle 

Stage one Newcastle University students on selected Biomedical Sciences courses can apply to transfer to stage one of Newcastle University’s Dental Surgery course.

There are up to two places available. Students are selected on the basis of their academic performance in stage one, UCAT score, personal statement and interview performance. The School of Biomedical Science hosts talks on the transfer process, dates/times will be advertised in the school.

Applying as an individual or through the university

If you’re a Newcastle University Biomedical Sciences student you can apply through the university, using the institution code and buzzword. This is available from the Careers Service. Applying this way will send your form directly to the Biomedical Sciences department for your references to be added. 

Applying through the university

Complete your form and mark all sections as complete. Pay your application fee. Your application will be sent to your referee online.

They then check your application and add a reference, which will be approved by the university and sent back to UCAS. UCAS needs to receive your reference by 15 October. Newcastle University students are recommended to submit their application by 4 October to meet this deadline.

Applying independently

If you aren't a Biomedical Sciences student you need to apply independently. If you want your reference to be written by a registered school, college or other organisation, you can request that they complete the reference for you in ‘Apply’.

Go to the 'Options' section and select 'Ask a registered school, college or organisation to write your reference only'. Your referee will then add a reference to your application.

If your referee is not at a registered centre, enter their contact details in the reference section and select 'Ask referee to complete reference' at the bottom of the page. UCAS will send them an email containing login details so they can enter the reference for you.

You can see when your reference is complete as a red tick displays next to the reference section. If your tutor is unsure about how to add their reference, please ask them to contact the university’s admissions office.

Advice for the person writing your reference can also be found on the UCAS website.

Entry Requirements

All dental schools require a 2:1 or above.

All applicants to dentistry also require specific health and background checks for clinical courses.

Applying for dentistry without a science degree/A-levels

Whether this is accepted depends on the course and the individual course provider. 

Some dental schools offer six year courses which include a foundation pre-dental year and may consider graduates with one or no science A-levels. Search for these courses on the UCAS website.

If science A-levels are a prerequisite for your course, you could consider taking a year out after your degree to study them. Check the entry requirements for your chosen courses. These get updated regularly.

International students applying to study dentistry in the UK

Many universities have places particularly for international students, so check with individual institutions. Most universities don't publish a full list of international qualifications accepted for entry onto a UK dentistry degree.

If your qualification is not listed, contact the individual institution directly to see if it is suitable.

Additional considerations include your entry qualifications and English language skills. Most clinical courses have patient contact quite early on and require a higher level of English language than many other degrees. Most dental degrees require an IELTS of above 7.

Full details of all entry requirements for dentistry can be viewed at each dental school website.

Completing the Form

Application deadline

The deadline for completing your application is 15 October this including form, payment and reference. Submit well before the 15th to give your referee time to add their reference.

Calculating predicted grades

You don’t need to calculate your predicted grades. Your referee, who should be an academic tutor, will do that for you.

Test scores

You don't need to add your UCAT/BMAT scores to the qualifications section on the form. Your scores will be sent to the university directly.

Module marks for degree and A-levels

You must enter units/modules for some qualifications, but for others it's optional. In ‘Apply’, check if there's an asterisk next to it (it will be displayed as 'module/unit*'). If there is, you need to add these details. If they're optional, check the ‘Entry Profiles’ in ‘Course Search’ to see if universities want your units or module results and add them if they do.

Degree awarding body

At Newcastle University, the institution code is: 40655. If you are applying with a degree from a different university then you will need to check the institution code with them.

What to put as your 'occupational background'

Choose your reply from the drop-down list or enter your own details in the box.

Sharing information about a disability

Sharing that you have a disability with your course provider is generally recommended. This question relates to supporting you in your studies.

Your offer might however be subject to an occupational health assessment. If you would like to discuss sharing information about a disability with a course provider, speak to a careers consultant.

EmployAbility also offer free advice to students on sharing information about a disability.

Including extra-curricular activities

Dentistry is a demanding course, so it’s important to demonstrate you have an outlet from your studies.

You don’t have to be captain of the hockey team, or to have climbed Kilimanjaro, but it helps to have a hobby to talk about in your interview.

‘Newcastle University’ is not on the drop-down list

Click 'my school or college is not listed here'. Add the university manually by typing it into the box. Remember that it’s ‘Newcastle University’, not ‘University of Newcastle upon Tyne’.

Fee code

Your fee code depends on your personal circumstances. Check the UCAS guidelines first and check with your Local Education Authority (LEA). If you get it wrong, it won’t affect you being shortlisted.

Submitting a CV

If you're asked to submit a CV as well as your application form, normal CV principles apply. Think carefully about what the admissions tutor is looking for and tailor your CV accordingly.

You can get CV feedback from the Careers Service. No appointment is necessary. For further information, see our CVs section.


Your referee should be someone who can comment on your academic suitability. We recommend using your personal tutor, or an academic who knows you well (your dissertation supervisor, for example).

Let your referee know early that you want to apply, so that they have time to reflect on the qualities you will bring. Remember that the start of term is busy for academic staff and you are unlikely to be the only person asking them for a reference.

UCAS needs to receive your form, payment and reference by 15 October. If you submit your form to UCAS on the 14th, it is unlikely your tutor will be able to add your reference in time. Newcastle University students are recommended to submit their application by 4 October to meet this deadline.

The UCAS form only allows you to add one referee. You can ask course administrators if you can email them another one, if you think it will enhance your application.

After Applying

When to accept an offer and what to do if you are unsuccessful.

Replying to offers

With UCAS applications, universities don't know where else you have applied. The form that each university receives only includes information about the course you have applied for at that institution.

If you have applied for two courses at the same university then they will know which two courses. They won't know where else you have applied unless you mention that information in your personal statement or is included in your reference.

If you’ve had an offer, but are still waiting to hear back from your first choice, you will need to continue to wait. You can only reply once you've received all your decisions. See UCAS advice on replying to your offers for more.

What to do if your application was unsuccessful and you want to reapply

You will need to wait until the following year to reapply. Reflect on your last application and consider whether any of your skills need to be developed further. Use this analysis to inform your choices.

Consider applying for related jobs, for example working in administration in a dental practice or as a healthcare assistant.

You could also apply for jobs outside healthcare and continue with voluntary work or work shadowing in your spare time. Visit us if you need support with this.

More Help

Further resources to help when you are applying to dental school.

Newcastle University specific


For more information on dentistry see our Healthcare pages.

If you need help deciding whether to apply to dental school or more advice on the application process, contact us