Skip to main content

Part-time Jobs

Part-time work is a great way to earn extra money, gain work experience, develop valuable skills and meet new people.

About part-time work

While many students work part-time in shops, bars, restaurants, and call centres, you can get a part-time job related to your degree course. This may be, for example, in healthcare, marketing or web design.

Lots of students seek part-time work in the city centre, so think about extending your search. Locations outside Newcastle including Gateshead, Sunderland, South Tyneside and North Tyneside are all accessible by bus and metro.

We hold a part-time jobs fair at the start of each academic year with a range of employers including:

  • event management companies
  • healthcare
  • retail stores
  • hospitality
  • catering

Think about approaching employers directly, even when they aren't advertising a vacancy. We recommend sending or handing in a copy of your CV and covering letter. Handing in a copy of your CV in person is particularly useful when looking for retail, bar or restaurant work. It’s worth following up a speculative application with a phone call or visit a few days afterwards to show you are still interested in the position.

We have advice for international students on working in the UK during your studies. This includes information on employment rights and how to apply for a National Insurance number.

Opportunities on campus

You can register for Jobs on Campus. The JobsOC team advertise short and long term roles across campus via their Teams site. 

There are a range of other paid opportunities on campus which are advertised year round.


Part-time pay

How much you will be paid depends on your age, the type of work and employer. However, all employers must pay their workers at least the National Minimum Wage (NMW).

The current NMW rates (from 1 April 2023) are:

  • £10.42 per hour for workers aged 23+
  • £10.18 per hour for workers aged 21-22
  • £7.49 per hour for workers aged 18-20
  • £5.28 per hour for workers aged under 18 and apprentices

Gaining work experience

Volunteering can help you gain valuable work experience. You won’t get paid, but you will develop skills that will make you more employable.

If you're interested in finding work experience related to your degree, see internships, placements and shadowing.

If you're looking for a part-time job on campus, visit our Opportunities on Campus page.

Finding part-time jobs

You can use these websites to find part-time jobs:

Retail centres, such as Eldon Square in Newcastle and the Metrocentre in Gateshead have online jobs boards. Shops in retail centres recruit extra staff before the Christmas shopping period from November

For holiday and seasonal jobs, visit:

Recruitment agencies can also be a useful source of part-time or temporary work. See Recruitment agencies for information and tips on using an agency. 

Identifying fake jobs

We're often asked how to tell whether a job advert is a scam or for a real job. It can be hard sometimes to tell the difference, however, there are typical warning signs.

Visit our page on identifying fake or scam jobs for more advice.

More help and advice

You can find more opportunities and advice on these websites:

If you’re worried about financial issues, the University has advice on managing your money and dealing with financial pressure during your studies.

Working for yourself

If you are working on a self-employed basis, you need to register with HM Revenue and Customs. This must be done within three months of starting your business, or you could pay a penalty.

You will pay tax on profit you make in excess of your personal allowance. You will normally be sent a Self Assessment tax return each year to enable you to do this. National Insurance contributions and registering for VAT could be a possibility, but it is very unlikely for a student in full-time education.

Personal allowances are for all your income added together. You may find your income goes over the personal allowance if you have your own business and are also employed by someone else.

International students who are in the UK on a student visa are not allowed to work on a self-employed basis.

For more information on self-employment, visit:

Start Up

The Start Up team have some valuable advice, workshops and funding opportunities for setting up your own business or doing freelance work part-time.