Careers Service

Choosing a Course

Choosing a Course

Find out the difference between accelerated/graduate entry and undergraduate degrees, and what to consider when choosing a course.

Applicants may list a maximum of four choices of medicine course (A100, A101, A102, A103, A104, A105 and A106). Applicants may use their one remaining choice to select a non-medicine programme, should they wish to do so. There is no order of preference. For more details see UCAS.

Accelerated/graduate entry and undergraduate entry

The accelerated/graduate entry course is, as the name implies, aimed at graduates and is more demanding. It is usually four years long with the equivalent of the first two years of a five-year undergraduate course compressed into one year. This means longer hours and shorter holidays.

Funding for the programmes varies, as there is more financial support for the accelerated/graduate entry course.

We usually recommend applying to at least one undergraduate course, as the accelerated/graduate entry course is so competitive. However, this really depends on your own requirements.

Learning styles

When you are choosing your course you should also consider learning styles (eg. problem-based learning, integrated, or traditional). You should also consider entry requirements and quality of life.

You’ll probably be living in or around the city for at least four years. Weigh up your options carefully. Our careers advisers can discuss your options with you.

Advice from the Careers Service

Applying to medical school is a lengthy and complicated process. It's likely you'll have a few questions along the way.

If you need help deciding if medicine is for you, or if you would like feedback on your application, come and talk to us. No appointment is necessary.

Further information

For more information on choosing a course, check the NHS Health Careers site for Medical school courses. 

For further information about the graduate/accelerated entry medical degree, read the TARGETjobs's page 'No medical degree – no problem'.