Careers Service

Global Work Experience

Advice and Opportunities

Working overseas allows you to experience new cultures, learn a new language and to enhance your employability in a different environment.

For advice and information on finding work opportunities overseas, see:

Some degree programmes at Newcastle allow for an Erasmus work-based placement in Europe. You would be responsible for finding your own placement. 

Finding advertised opportunities

We advertise overseas vacancies on MyCareer. Sign up for personalised email alerts.

You can also use the following external websites to help you find work experience overseas:


See also Specific programmes for further opportunities.


  • GoinGlobal – global internship listings. Watch a brief (3:08) training video on how to get the most from GoinGlobal internship search.
  • EntryPark – includes a link to Blind Applying where international top employers offer secret internships at one of their locations worldwide.
  • ihipo – international career networking and internships
  • Projects Abroad – volunteer projects for gap years, electives and summer placements
  • Intern Jobs – worldwide internship opportunities
  • StudentJob – internships and summer work for students and graduates
  • Cultural Vistas – a variety of work experience/internship opportunities in the USA
  • The Australian Government offers a Skilled-Recognised Graduate visa which enables engineering graduates from Newcastle University to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience

See also Specific programmes for further opportunities.

Specific Programmes

Many organisations offer to arrange paid, unpaid and voluntary placements for students and graduates around the world. These can be in a variety of sectors.

Some are charities or non-profit organisations who charge fees only to cover the cost of running the programme. However, many placement providers are businesses aiming to make a profit and charge a significant amount of money for their services.

When choosing a provider, it’s important to research them carefully. Make sure you know what you are getting for your money, as they don't all offer the same services. You may want to check whether they:

  • will help you to arrange a visa
  • include accommodation, food and flights in the price
  • will place you in a job, or simply give you access to a database of opportunities
  • offer support when you start the placement

It’s also important to check that they are a legitimate organisation. Research beyond their website, look for external reviews or testimonials, and any related social media accounts.

The placement schemes listed below are legitimate, non-profit organisations which are either government funded or backed, or have an established relationship with Newcastle University:

  • AIESEC – student organisation offering paid and voluntary international placements, ranging from 6 weeks to 18 months, in 110 countries, includes an application fee to view available placements
  • Vulcanus in Japan – an EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Co-operation placement programme for engineering or science students
  • RISE – summer internship programme for undergraduate science or engineering students to research in Germany

The British Council bring together a range of short-term overseas work opportunities for students and recent graduates on their Study Work Create website.

Opportunities include:

  • IAESTE – global work placements, ranging from 8 to 52 weeks. Most opportunities are in engineering, science, computing and architecture.
  • Generation UK–China – internships, research and teaching opportunities in China
  • English Language Assistants – paid 6-month or year-long opportunities through the British Council to support English teaching in an overseas school. All countries except China require English and a second language.
  • Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) – paid work for a year in Japan as an Assistant Language Teacher or a Coordinator for International Relations
  • Erasmus+ Traineeships – funding to complete an overseas yearlong placement as part of your degree. See Careers Service Placement Year if you are considering this sort of work experience.

Internship Agreements

When applying for internships overseas, employers in some countries may ask for an internship agreement to be signed by your university.

A tripartite internship agreement is a contractual arrangement between employer, student and education institution. In France, it is known as the Convention de Stage, and in Spain as the Convenio de Colaboración.

The agreement covers how the internship fits into your studies and explains how you'll be evaluated. We recommend that you ask the employer if they need an internship agreement to hire you before you apply.

If the internship will be included as part of your course, you can speak to someone in your academic school about signing it. Eg your Degree Programme Director or the Placement Officer.

If the agreement is for a work placement you'll be doing as part of the Careers Service Placement Year, please contact our Placement Year team at

The University is not able to sign agreements for opportunities which are not part of your course. For example, something you have arranged to take place over the summer, or after you have graduated.

We recommend that you contact the employer to see if they are willing to go ahead with the internship without the agreement. Sometimes the employer wants to see proof of your student status, or that you are studying a relevant subject. You can use S3P to download official University documents proving your status as a student, and your programme of study.


Australia is a popular location for students who want overseas experience.

Depending on the type and length of experience you’re interested in, there are different options available.

Use the expandable boxes below to find out what’s involved in arranging travel and work opportunities, internships and placements, and term-time exchanges.

Further resources

Further resources

You can also use the following resources and guides to find out more about looking for opportunities, living and working in Australia:


The USA offers short term work and study exchanges through their BridgeUSA Exchange Visitor Programme.

There are different programmes available, depending on the type and length of experience you’re interested in. BridgeUSA have put together a  comparison chart to help you see which programme is right for you. To take part in any of the programmes, you’ll need to apply for a J-1 visa.

Click on the headings below to find out about some of the most relevant BridgeUSA programmes available, how to apply for the J-1 visa, how to look for work experience, and term-time study exchanges on offer through the University.

Further resources

You can also use the following resources and guides to find out more about looking for opportunities, living and working in the USA:

More information about finding jobs overseas is available on our International jobs page.