CfLaT Research Associate
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7449
- Address: Room 2.58 KGVI
School of ECLS
King George VI Building
Queen Victoria Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Lucy joined the Education section at Newcastle University in 2005 after completing a Graduate Diploma in Psychology and BA (hons) English Studies.
As a researcher within the Research Centre for Learning and Teaching (CfLaT), Lucy has developed a wealth of experience in research design, literature reviews, qualitative, quantitative, visual and participatory research methods, data analysis, reporting research findings and project management.
Lucy continues to develop her research interests through involvement in several current research projects.
Lucy has worked on a diverse range of projects and evaluations within Education and has developed subject specialisms in the areas of practitioner enquiry, visual and participatory research methods, and outdoor learning. Working collaboratively with schools and the wider education community has led to a keen interest in how research methods can be used as tools for enquiry to aid practitioner and student learning. Lucy has worked with colleagues within CfLaT in exploring the use of visual tools to mediate and enhance interviews and in collaborative and co-produced research with a range of stakeholders.
Lucy has worked on a number of research projects in the roles of Principal Investigator, Project Manager and Researcher. Lucy is a member of the Research Centre for Learning and Teaching (CfLaT) and takes an active role in securing research contracts and disseminating research findings.
Lucy manages the CfLaT Research Tea programme, securing a diverse range of presenters including staff, postgraduate students and invited speakers from academia and practice.
- ESRC Impact Acceleration Account Co--production fund - Impacting on young people's emotional wellbeing: a Forest School intervention.
- ESRC Impact Acceleration Account - Making learning visible: impacting on mathematics teachers' practice of formative assessment using technologies.
- EU ITELab (Initial Teachers Education Lab) knowledge alliance project.
- Newcastle Institute for Social Renewal, Poverty Proofing the School Day – Case Studies of Good Practice
- EU FP7 Improving Progress for Lower Achievers through Formative Assessment in Science and Mathematics Education (FaSMEd)
- AHRC Co-curate North East: creating sustainable routes for North East communities to
digitally transform and co-produce open cultural resources
- Mentor UK, Just For A Laugh evaluation
- Bedlington Station First School and Creative Partnerships Case Study
- Creative Partnerships: Creating purpose, permission and passion for outdoor learning.
- Exploring the fitting of practice to context at Oakfields Community College
- Links into Languages - Enquiry Networks
- Learning to Learn in Schools Phase 4 Evaluation
- An evaluation of the DCSF Extended Schools Subsidy Pathfinder
- Helen Hamlyn Foundation Open Future Evaluation
- Developing formative assessment using ICTs in education
- Facilitating participation in the design process at Seaham College
- Seaview Primary - Creative Partnerships
- An evaluation of the DfES Full Service Extended Schools (FSES) Initiative
- An evaluation of the Scottish Executive Activating Children’s Thinking Skills (ACTS) Project in East Ayrshire.
- Woolner P, Thomas U, Tiplady L. Structural change from physical foundations: The role of the environment in enacting school change. Journal of Educational Change 2018, e-pub ahead of print.
- Clark J, Laing K, Leat D, Lofthouse R, Thomas U, Tiplady L, Woolner P. Transformation in interdisciplinary research methodology: the importance of shared experiences in landscapes of practice. International Journal of Research and Method in Education 2017, 40(3), 243-256.
- Woolner P, Tiplady L. Adapting School Premises as Part of a Complex Pedagogical Change Programme. In: Stadler-Altmann,U, ed. (English) Learning Environment. Educational and Architectual Views on Schoolbuildings and Classrooms. (German) Lernumgebungen. Erziehungswissenschaftliche und architekturkritische Perspektiven auf Schulgebäude und Klassenzimmer. Opladen/Berlin/Toronto: Barbara Budrich, 2016, pp.69-81.
- Cotterill S, Hudson M, Lloyd K, Outterside J, Peterson J, Coburn J, Thomas U, Tiplady L, Robinson P, Heslop P. Co-curate: Working with Schools and Communities to Add Value to Open Collections. Journal of Interactive Media in Education 2016, 14(1), 1–9.
- Cotterill SJ, Hudson M, Lloyd K, Outterside J, Peterson J, Coburn J, Thomas U, Tiplady L, Robinson P, Heslop P. Co-Curate: working with schools and communities to add value to Open collections. In: Open Educational Resources - OER15. 2015, Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, Cardiff.
- Wright D, Clark J, Tiplady L. Making learning visible in mathematics with technology. Mathematics Teaching 2015, 249, 30-36.
- Wright D, Clark J, Tiplady L. Raising achievement through formative assessment in science and mathematics education (FaSMEd). British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics 2015, 35(2).
- Woolner P, Clark J, Laing K, Thomas U, Tiplady L. A school tries to change: How leaders and teachers understand changes to space and practices in a UK secondary school. Improving Schools 2014, 17(2), 148-162.
- Clark J, Laing K, Tiplady L, Woolner P. Making Connections: Theory and Practice of Using Visual Methods to Aid Participation in Research. In: Visual In-Sights: Theory, Method, Practice International Conference. 2014, Newcastle, UK.
- Clark J, Laing K, Tiplady L, Woolner P. Making Connections. In: AHRC Connected Communities Showcase. 2013, London, UK: Research Councils UK.
- Clark J, Laing K, Tiplady L, Woolner P. Making Connections: Theory and Practice of Using Visual Methods to Aid Participation in Research. Newcastle University: Research Centre for Learning and Teaching, 2013.
- Thomas U, Tiplady L, Wall K. Stories of practitioner enquiry: using narrative interviews to explore teachers’ perspectives of learning to learn. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education 2013, n/a, n/a.
- Woolner P, Clark J, Thomas U, Laing K, Tiplady L. Teachers Preparing For Changes to Learning Environment and Practices in a UK Secondary School. In: ECER 2013, Creativity and Innovation in Educational Research. 2013, Istanbul, Turkey: European Educational Research Association.
- Woolner P, Clark J, Laing K, Thomas U, Tiplady L. Changing spaces: preparing students and teachers for a new learning environment. Children, Youth and Environments 2012, 22(1), 52-74.
- Wall K, Higgins S, Rafferty V, Remedios R, Tiplady L. Comparing Analysis Frames For Visual Data Sets: Using Pupil Views Templates to explore perspectives of learning. Journal of Mixed Methods Research 2012, 7(1), 22-42.
- Tiplady L, Laing K. Just For a Laugh? Evaluation Report. London: Mentor UK, 2012.
- Clark J, Laing K, Tiplady L, Woolner P. Pushing the Boundaries: Theory and Practice of Using Visual Methods to Aid Children’s Participation in Educational Research. In: The European Conference on Educational Research. 2012, Cadiz, Spain.
- Wall K, Hall E, Baumfield V, Higgins S, Rafferty V, Remedios R, Thomas U, Tiplady L, Towler C, Woolner P. Learning to Learn in Schools Phase 4 and Learning to Learn in Further Education Projects. London: Campaign for Learning, 2010. Annual Report.
- Woolner P, Clark J, Hall E, Tiplady L, Thomas U, Wall K. Pictures are necessary but not sufficient: using a range of visual methods to engage users about school design. Learning Environments Research 2010, 13(1), 1-22.
- Wall K, Hall E, Higgins S, Leat D, Thomas U, Tiplady L, Towler C, Woolner P. Learning to Learn in Schools Phase 4 Project. London: Campaign for Learning, 2009. Annual Report.
- Cummings C, Todd ES, Dyson A, Muijs D, Papps I, Pearson D, Raffo C, Tiplady L, Crowther D. Evaluation of the full service extended schools initiative: final report. Nottingham: Department for Education and Skills, 2007. DfES Research Brief and Report 852.
- Cummings C, Dyson A, Muijs D, Papps I, Pearson P, Raffo C, Tiplady L, Todd L. Evaluation of the Full Service Extended Schools Initiative: Final Report. London: DfES, 2007. RR852/RB852.
- Cummings C, Dyson A, Papps I, Pearson D, Raffo C, Tiplady L, Todd L. Evaluation of the Full Service Extended Schools Initiative, Second Year: Thematic Papers. London, UK: DfES, 2006. RR795.