Dr Sara Ganassin
Lecturer in Applied Linguistics & Comm
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personal Website: https://durham.academia.edu/SaraGanassin
- Address: School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences
Office 1.62, King George VI Building,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
I was appointed Lecturer in Applied Linguistics and Communication at Newcastle University in January 2019 having previously worked as a Research Associate.
In 2017, I completed a PhD in Education at Durham University with a thesis entitled: ‘Mandarin Chinese community schooling in England: language, culture and pupils’ identities’. In Durham, I have worked as a Research Associate and co-published with Dr Prue Holmes developing research on internationalisation in higher education in Europe and China, and on multilingual research theory and methodology.
I have experience of delivering different aspects of European Commission funded projects (LLP and ERASMUS ) on themes related to internationalisation, interculturality, and the development of learning and teaching resources.
After graduating in Chinese culture and language from the University of Ca’ Foscari, Venice, and completing a master’s degree in International Cooperation and Development, I worked for seven years in the voluntary sector (North of England Refugee Service and Oxfam UK Poverty Programme) in the UK as project staff and researcher working with migrant and refugee women and young people.
Qualifications and Awards
• 2008 – 2009 Master’s degree in International Cooperation and Development, The Italian Institute for International Political Studies (ISPI), Milan, Italy.
• 2005 – 2007 Master’s degree in Languages and Civilisations of Eastern Asia (Chinese linguistics and history), Ca’ Foscari, University of Venice, Italy.
• 2001 – 2004 BA in Languages and Cultures of Eastern Asia (Mandarin Chinese language), Ca’ Foscari, University of Venice, Italy.
• Associate Fellowship of The Higher Education Academy.
• DULTA (Durham University Learning and Teaching Award).
• Durham University Faculty of Social Sciences and Health Postgraduate Publication Bursary 2017
Peer review experience
I act as a reviewer for the following academic journals:
- International Journal of Applied Linguistics
- Journal of International and Intercultural Communication
- Journal of Language, Identity & Education
- Frontiers of Education in China
SCOPUS: Click here.
I research in intercultural education and communication, with a particular interest for the interplay of language, culture and identity in mobility and migratory contexts. I am particularly interested in the intercultural dimension of Chinese language education and in the phenomenon of Chinese community schooling.
I would welcome applications from potential doctorate students on the following topics:
- Intercultural and International Education and Intercultural Communication
- The Intercultural Dimension of Foreign Language Education
- Students' Learning and Intercultural Experiences
- Heritage and Second/Foreign Language Learning and Teaching
- Chinese Language Education
- Language Policy & Planning in Greater China
- Minority, Migrant & Refugee Communities (construction of language, culture, and identity)
- Multilingualism & Multilingual Research (theory and methodology)
I am currently co-investigator on the following Erasmus funded project:
- Critical Skills for Life and Work (CSLW): Developing the Professional Intercultural Communicative Competence of Highly Skilled Refugees, 2017-2019:
[Erasmus Key Action 2 Adult Education 2017-1-UK01_KA204-036667]
In 2018/2019 I am module leader for:
- ALC8002 Sociolinguistics
- Ganassin S. ‘I am proud to be Chinese’ Mandarin Chinese community schooling in Britain: Language, culture and pupils’ identities. In: 5th International Conference on Chinese as a Second Language Research (CASLAR). 2018, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong: CACLER.
- Ganassin S, Young T. How can interculturality support personal and professional success? ‘Success stories’ of highly-skilled refugees in Europe . In: IALIC 2018 Conference. The 'good' interculturalist yesterday, today and tomorrow: Everyday life-theory-research-policy-practice. 2018, University of Helsinki, Finland.
- Ganassin S. Teaching and learning about Chinese culture: pupils’ and teachers’ experiences of Chinese community schooling in the UK. Language and Intercultural Communication 2018, 19(2), 167-183.
- Holmes P, Ganassin S. The “good” interculturalist in action: “European” and “Chinese” coconstruction of an intercultural pedagogy for internationalisation of universities in “New” China. In: IALIC 2018. The 'good' interculturalist yesterday, today and tomorrow: Everyday life-theory-research-policy-practice. 2018, University of Helsinki, Finland.
- Holmes P, Ganassin S. The RICH-Ed project: The co-construction of an intercultural pedagogy to support internationalisation in Chinese universities. In: 14th Annual International Conference of the China Association for Intercultural Communication (CAFIC). 2018, Shandong University, Jinan, China: CAFIC.
- Ganassin S. Chinese commmunity schools in England as intercultural educational spaces: Pupils', parents' and teachers' constructions of the Chinese language. In: Jin, T; Dervin, F, ed. Interculturality in Chinese Language Education. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2017.
- Holmes P, Ganassin S. Researching multilingually: Theory and practice. In: EUROMEC (European Identity, Culture, Exchanges and Multilingualism) International Conference: Identities in urban contexts: The European multilingual city. 2017, Trinity College, Dublin.
- Ganassin S. Teachers’ perspectives on Chinese community schooling in the UK: Chinese as heritage or foreign language?. In: Being and Becoming a Teacher of Chinese as a Foreign and Second Language Today Conference. 2017, University of Helsinki and the Confucius Institute of the University of Helsinki, Finland.
- Ganassin S. Classroom language ecologies and Chinese community schooling. In: IALIC 2016 Bridging across languages and cultures in everyday lives: new roles for changing scenarios. 2016, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.
- Holmes P, Bavieri L, Ganassin S, Murphy J. Interculturality and the study abroad experience: Students’ learning from the IEREST materials. Language and Intercultural Communication 2016, 16(3), 452-469.
- Holmes P, Bavieri L, Ganassin S. Developing intercultural understanding for study abroad: Students’ and teachers’ perspectives on pre-departure intercultural learning. Intercultural Education 2015, 26(1), 16-30.
- Atabong A, Baten L, Bavieri L, Beaven A, Borghetti C, Cebron N, Gallardo M, Ganassin S, Golubeva I, Holmes P, Livatino L. IEREST: Intercultural Education Resources for Erasmus Students and their Teachers. Koper: Annales University Press, 2015.
- Ganassin S, Holmes P. Multilingual research practices in community research: The case of migrant/refugee women in North East England. International Journal of Applied Linguistics 2013, (23), 342-356.
- Hudson M, Ganassin S. Aspen Futures: A research report on the cultural inequality of women and its solutions. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: North of England Refugee Service, 2010.