Skip to main content

Funding for Disabled Students

Disabled students can apply for funding support, and the type of funding depends on your course, home country and funding body.

Emergency and crisis support

Urgent and emergency care - ☎ 999

Papyrus Hopeline247 - ☎ 0800 068 4141

Wellbeing support

Our resources page offers support and advice

Request wellbeing support

UK students

If you're a UK student with a disability, you may be eligible to apply for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA). DSA can give you access to important support resources, including:

  • specialist equipment, ie a computer if you need one because of your disability
  • non-medical helpers such as specialist mentoring, British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters and specialist study skills
  • extra travel to attend your course or placement because of your disability

DSA is non-means tested, meaning your financial situation doesn't affect your access to it.

Applying for DSAs

You'll need to contact your funding body to start your application for DSA. We recommend doing this as soon as you can so you can get the support you need quickly.

International students

If you're funded through one of the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) Councils, you may be eligible to receive disability-related support. This can include:

  • specialist equipment and insurance
  • non-medical help (for example, a note-taker, specialist mentoring)
  • extra travel costs
  • general Disabled Students’ Allowance

If you're on a UKRI studentship, you're eligible to apply for a DSA during your funded period. For initial advice on your eligibility, please contact the Disability Service.

If you're not eligible for UKRI or other DSA funding, the university may be able to give you funding to cover your support needs. Please contact the Disability Service for further information and advice.

Additional sources of funding