Careers Service

Global Work Experience

Global work experience

Getting Started

Going overseas to gain work experience is a great way to develop your skill set while immersing yourself in a different culture.

Follow the steps below to get started

Finding opportunities

There are two main ways to find work experience. Applying for advertised opportunities, and seeking out hidden opportunities by networking and applying speculatively.

Organised programmes

Many organisations offer to arrange paid, unpaid and voluntary placements for students and graduates around the world. These can be in a variety of sectors.

Using a placement provider could help to take some of the stress out of planning your time overseas. Depending on what they offer, they could organise everything from your visa and experience, to your flights and accommodation. You may also have access to an additional support network, including the staff running the scheme and other students taking part.

One of the main downsides of using a provider is the cost, as they can be extremely expensive. They often offer unpaid opportunities, meaning you need to save more money in advance to support yourself while abroad. You might not have much control over the experience you’re offered, or not be able to change as easily if you find you don’t like it.

Some charities or non-profit organisations charge fees only to cover the cost of running the programme. However, many placement providers are businesses who charge a significant amount of money for their services.

Choosing a placement provider

You can search GoAbroad for examples of internship providers. If you are interested in using one, find out exactly what they are offering for their fee, eg:

  • help to arrange a visa
  • accommodation, food and flights
  • an internship offer, or access to a database of opportunities
  • support when you start the internship

It’s also important to check that they are a legitimate organisation. Research beyond their website, look for external reviews or testimonials, and any related social media accounts.

Examples of placement providers

The placement schemes listed below are legitimate, non-profit organisations which are either government funded or backed, or have an established relationship with Newcastle University:

  • AIESEC – student organisation offering paid and voluntary international placements, ranging from 6 weeks to 18 months, in 110 countries, includes an application fee to view available placements
  • RISE – summer internship programme for undergraduate science or engineering students to research in Germany
  • IAESTE – global work placements, ranging from 8 to 52 weeks. Most opportunities are in engineering, science, computing and architecture. If you’re a UK citizen you can register your interest as someone from a ‘non member country

The British Council bring together a range of short-term overseas work opportunities for students and recent graduates on their Study Work Create website.

Opportunities include:

  • Generation UK–China – internships, research and teaching opportunities in China. They are currently offering a virtual internship programme starting in June and July 2022, with over 250 host companies based in China. The internships last for 8 weeks and are for UK students and recent graduates interested in gaining experience with companies based in Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen. Visit Virtual Internships to find out more and apply before the deadline: 24 April 2022.
  • English Language Assistants – paid 6-month or year-long opportunities through the British Council to support English teaching in an overseas school. All countries except China require English and a second language
  • Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) – paid work for a year in Japan as an Assistant Language Teacher or a Coordinator for International Relations

Newcastle University’s Global Opportunities organise internal and advertise external short programmes overseas for students.


Internship agreements

Employers in some countries may ask for an internship agreement to be signed by your university. Find out if this is a requirement before you apply.

Employers in some countries may ask for an internship agreement to be signed by your university. We recommend that you ask the employer if they need an internship agreement to hire you before you apply.

A tripartite internship agreement is a contractual arrangement between employer, student and education institution. In France, it is known as the Convention de Stage, and in Spain as the Convenio de Colaboración.

The agreement covers how the internship fits into your studies and explains how you'll be evaluated.

Internships integrated with your degree programme

If your internship will be included as part of your course, you can speak to someone in your academic school about signing an agreement, eg your Degree Programme Director or Placement Officer.

If the agreement is for a work placement which you'll be doing as part of the Careers Service Placement Year, please contact our Placement Year team at

Internships outside your degree programme

You may have arranged an overseas internship independently, which will not be accredited or form part of your course.

If the employer asks you for one of these agreements, and the internship takes place while you are a registered Newcastle University student, or starts within one year of finishing your course, you can use one of the following documents:

• Student internship agreement [Word document: 66KB] – use this document if you will be registered as a Newcastle University student for the duration of your internship 

• Graduate internship agreement [Word document: 66KB] – use this document if your internship will start within one year of graduating from Newcastle University 

If you need either of these in an alternative format, or any other adjustments to access our resources, please contact us. You can also convert documents into formats that work better for you using SensusAccess.

How to use our internship agreement documents

Download the relevant document and fill in all the text boxes, deleting any instruction text. You will need to include details about the internship, including the objectives/responsibilities you have been set. If you are unsure of your objectives, or any of your working conditions, contact the employer for more information.

When you have completed, signed and saved the document, email your copy to using “Internship Agreement Form” as the email subject header.

The relevant member of staff will read, sign and return the agreement to you within 5 working days. You can then send the agreement to the employer to read, sign and keep for their records.

If the employer asks for additional proof of your status as a student and your programme of study, you can use S3P to download your official University documents.

For non-accredited internships, we’re unable to sign any documents supplied by the employer, due to insurance and liability. You can contact the above email address if you have any questions about the process.

You can also contact for information about funding opportunities which may be available for overseas internships.


Australia is a popular location for students who want overseas experience.

Depending on the type and length of experience you’re interested in, there are different options available.

Use the expandable boxes below to find out what’s involved in arranging travel and work opportunities or internships and placements.

Further resources

Further resources

You can also use the following resources and guides to find out more about looking for opportunities, living and working in Australia:

More information about finding jobs overseas is available on our International jobs page.

You may also be interested in term-time study exchanges, summer programmes and further study abroad.


The USA offers short term work and study exchanges through their BridgeUSA Exchange Visitor Programme.

There are different programmes available, depending on the type and length of experience you’re interested in. BridgeUSA have put together a  comparison chart to help you see which programme is right for you. To take part in any of the programmes, you’ll need to apply for a J-1 visa.

Click on the headings below to find out about some of the most relevant BridgeUSA programmes available, how to apply for the J-1 visa and how to look for work experience.

Further resources

Further resources

You can also use the following resources and guides to find out more about looking for opportunities, living and working in the USA:

More information about finding jobs overseas is available on our International jobs page.

You may also be interested in term-time study exchangessummer programmes and further study abroad.