Professor Stephen Rushton
Prof of Biological Modelling
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3046
- Personal Website: http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=dH4219oAAAAJ&hl=en
BackgroundI am interested in the development and application of modelling techniques in biological, environmental and medical systems.
ResearchMy key focii of research are:
• the epidemiology of food-borne pathogens
• the epidemiology of nosocomial and community acquired infections
• the epidemiology of wildlife and livestock disease
• modelling microbial community dynamics in complex environments
• modelling human exposure to environmental contaminants
• discrete event modelling of human disease and health interventions
• spatial dynamics of wildlife populations and disease
• modelling health outcomes
Key Project websites:
BIO2003 Field ID Skills
BIO3003 Ecological Modelling (Module Leader)
BIO3012 Current Issues in Conservation
BIO3036 Mammal Surveying Skills
BIO8006 Field ID Skills
MST8023 Marine Consultancy
BIO8054 Wildlife Disease and Epidemiology
BIO8056 Modelling and Data Analysis
- Oyebamiji OK, Wilkinson DJ, Pahala-Gedara J, Rushton SP, Li B, Bridgens B, Zuliani P. A Bayesian approach to modelling the impact of hydrodynamic shear stress on biofilm deformation. PLOS ONE 2018, 13(4), e0195484.
- Adams J, van der Waal Z, Rushton S, Rankin J. Associations between introduction and withdrawal of a financial incentive and timing of attendance for antenatal care and incidence of small for gestational age: natural experimental evaluation using interrupted time series methods. BMJ Open 2018, 8, e017697.
- Manning WA, Ghosh KM, Blain A, Longstaff L, Rushton SP, Deehan DJ. Internal femoral component rotation adversely influences load transfer in total knee arthroplasty: a cadaveric navigated study using the Verasense device. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 2018, 26(5), 1577-1585.
- Ewan VC, Reid WDK, Shirley M, Simpson AJ, Rushton SP, Wade W. Oropharyngeal microbiota in frail older patients unaffected by time in hospital. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology 2018, 8, 42.
- Lamagni T, Guy R, Chand M, Henderson KL, Chalker V, Lewis J, Saliba V, Elliot AJ, Smith GE, Rushton S, Sheridan EA, Ramsay M, Johnson AP. Resurgence of scarlet fever in England, 2014-16: A population-based surveillance study. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 2018, 18(2), 180-187.
- Deehan DJ, Ghosh KM, Blain A, Longstaff L, Rushton S. Sagittal flexion arc evaluation for a modern generation single-radius femoral component design. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine 2018, 232(4), 412-417.
- Sanderson RA, Maas JA, Blain AP, Gorton R, Ward J, O'Brien SJ, Hunter PR, Rushton SP. Spatio-temporal models to determine association between Campylobacter cases and environment. International Journal of Epidemiology 2018, 47(1), 202-216.
- Mair L, Mill AC, Robertson PA, Rushton SP, Shirley MDF, Rodriguez JP, McGowan PJK. The contribution of scientific research to conservation planning. Biological Conservation 2018, 223, 82-96.
- Jayathilake PG, Gupta P, Li B, Madsen C, Oyebamiji O, Gonzalez-Cabaleiro R, Rushton S, Bridgens B, Swailes D, Allen B, McGough AS, Zuliani P, Ofiteru ID, Wilkinson DJ, Chen J, Curtis TP. A mechanistic individual-based model of microbial communities. PLoS One 2017, 12(8), e0181965.
- Lacharme-Lora L, Chaloner G, Gilroy R, Humphrey S, Gibbs K, Jopson S, Wright E, Reid W, Ketley J, Humphrey T, Williams N, Rushton S, Wigley P. B lymphocytes play a limited role in clearance of Campylobacter jejuni from the chicken intestinal tract. Scientific Reports 2017, 7, 45090.
- Manning WA, Ghosh KM, Blain AP, Longstaff LM, Rushton SP, Deehan DJ. Does Maximal External Tibial Component Rotation Influence Tibiofemoral Load Distribution in the Primary Knee Arthroplasty Setting: A Comparison of Neutral vs Maximal Anatomical External Rotatory States. Journal of Arthroplasty 2017, 32(6), 2005-2011.
- Bell R, Glinianaia S, van der Waal Z, Close A, Moloney E, Jones S, Araújo-Soares V, Hamilton S, Milne E, Shucksmith J, Vale L, Willmore M, White M, Rushton S. Evaluation of a complex healthcare intervention to increase smoking cessation in pregnant women: interrupted time series analysis with economic evaluation. Tobacco Control 2018, 27(1), 90-98.
- Jayathilake P, Jana S, Rushton S, Swailes D, Bridgens B, Curtis T, Chen J. Extracellular Polymeric Substance Production and Aggregated Bacteria Colonization Influence the Competition of Microbes in Biofilms. Frontiers in Microbiology 2017, 8, 1-14.
- Sharma AN, Barron E, Le Couteur J, Close A, Rushton S, Grunze H, Kelly T, Ferrier N, Le Couteur AS. Facial emotion labeling in unaffected offspring of adults with Bipolar I Disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders 2017, 208, 198-204.
- Embleton ND, Berrington JE, Dorling J, Ewer AK, Juszczak E, Kirby JA, Lamb CA, Lanyon CV, McGuire W, Probert CS, Rushton SP, Shirley MD, Stewart CJ, Cummings SP. Mechanisms Affecting the Gut of Preterm Infants in Enteral Feeding Trials. Frontiers in Microbiology 2017, 4, 14.
- Sofianopoulou E, Pless-Mulloli T, Rushton S, Diggle PJ. Modeling Seasonal and Spatiotemporal Variation: The Example of Respiratory Prescribing. American Journal of Epidemiology 2017, 186(1), 101-108.
- Sharma A, Camilleri N, Grunze H, Barron E, Le Couteur J, Close A, Rushton S, Kelly T, Ferrier I, Le Couteur A. Neuropsychological study of IQ scores in offspring of parents with Bipolar I Disorder. Cognitive Neuropsychology 2017, 22(1), 17-27.
- Jones NR, Millman C, van der Es M, Hukelova M, Forbes KJ, Glover C, Haldenby S, Hunter PR, Jackson K, O'Brien SJ, Rigby D, Strachan NJC, Williams N, Lake IR, O'Brien S, Christley R, Hertz-Fowler C, Wigley P, Winstanley C, Diggle P, Lake I, Hiscock K, Hunter P, Forbes K, Strachan N, Griffith R, Cross P, Rushton S, Humphrey T, Bennett M, Howard D, Wren B. Novel sampling method for assessing human-pathogen interactions in the natural environment using boot socks and citizen scientists, with application to Campylobacter seasonality. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2017, 83(14), e00162-17.
- Robertson PA, Mill AC, Rushton SP, McKenzie AJ, Sage RB, Aebischer NJ. Pheasant release in Great Britain: long-term and large-scale changes in the survival of a managed bird. European Journal of Wildlife Research 2017, 63, 1-10.
- Goffe L, Rushton S, White M, Adamson A, Adams J. Relationship between mean daily energy intake and frequency of consumption of out-of-home meals in the UK National Diet and Nutrition Survey. The International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2017, 14(1), 131.
- Royden A, Wedley A, Merga JY, Rushton S, Hald B, Humphrey T, Williams NJ. A role for flies (Diptera) in the transmission of Campylobacter to broilers?. Epidemiology & Infection 2016, 144(15), 3326-3334.
- Everest DJ, Dastjerdi A, Cowan D, Gomm M, Craig M, Shuttleworth CM, McInnes CJ, Dean D, Coulter L, Mill A, Rushton SP, Jackson NL, Litherland P. Adenovirus detected in juvenile squirrels. Veterinary Record 2016, 177(14), 373-374.
- Jenkins SN, Murphy DV, Waite IS, Rushton SP, O'Donnell AG. Ancient landscapes and the relationship with microbial nitrification. Scientific Reports 2016, 6, 30733.
- Reid WDK, Close AJ, Humphrey S, Chaloner G, Lacharme-Lora L, Rothwell L, Kaiser P, Williams NJ, Humphrey TJ, Wigley P, Rushton SP. Cytokine responses in birds challenged with the human food-borne pathogen Campylobacter jejuni implies a Th17 response. Royal Society Open Science 2016, 3, 150541.
- Ewan V, Newton JL, Rushton S, Walls AWG. Oral hygiene of hospitalised older patients with lower limb fracture. Age and Ageing 2016, 45(6), 887-890.
- Newsham KK, Hopkins DW, Carvalhais LC, Fretwell PT, Rushton SP, O'Donnell AG, Dennis PG. Relationship between soil fungal diversity and temperature in the maritime Antarctic. Nature Climate Change 2016, 6, 182-186.
- Everest DJ, Dastjerdi A, Cowan D, Gomm M, Shuttleworth CM, McInnes CJ, Deane D, Coulter L, Mill A, Rushton SP, Jackson NL, Litherland P. SQPV antibody detection in juvenile squirrels. Veterinary Record 2016, 179(4), 101-102.
- Ramsay CR, Adewuyi TE, Gray J, Hislop J, Shirley MDF, Jayakody S, MacLennan G, Fraser C, MacLennan S, Brazzelli M, N'Dow J, Pickard R, Robertson C, Rothnie K, Rushton SP, Vale L, Lam TB. Ablative therapy for people with localised prostate cancer: a systematic review and economic evaluation. 2015. Health Technology Assessment (HTA) 19(49).
- Ewan VC, Sails AD, Walls AWG, Rushton S, Newton JL. Dental and Microbiological Risk Factors for Hospital-Acquired Pneumonia in Non-Ventilated Older Patients. PLoS ONE 2015, 10(4), e0123622.
- Ghosh KM, Manning WA, Blain AP, Rushton SP, Longstaff LM, Amiss AA, Deehan DJ. Influence of increasing construct constraint in the presence of posterolateral deficiency at knee replacement: A biomechanical study. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 2015, 34(3), 427-434.
- Ghosh KM, Hunt N, Blain A, Athwal KK, Longstaff L, Amis AA, Rushton S, Deehan DJ. Isolated popliteus tendon injury does not lead to abnormal laxity in posterior-stabilised total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 2015, 23(6), 1763-1769.
- Brock TM, Baker PN, Rushton S, Bardgett M, Deehan D. Length of stay and its impact upon functional outcomes following lower limb arthroplasty. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 2015, 1-6.
- Hunt NC, Ghosh KM, Blain AP, Rushton SP, Longstaff LM, Deehan DJ. No statistically significant kinematic difference found between a cruciate-retaining and posterior-stabilised Triathlon knee arthroplasty: A laboratory study involving eight cadavers examining soft-tissue laxity. Bone & Joint Journal 2015, 97B(5), 642-648.
- Laudicina VA, Benhua S, Dennis PG, Badalucco L, Rushton SP, Newsham KK, O'Donnell AG, Hartley IP, Hopkins DW. Responses to increases in temperature of heterotrophic microorganisms in soils from the maritime Antarctic. Polar Biology 2015, 38(8), 1153-1160.
- Elemraid MA, Thomas MF, Blain AP, Rushton SP, Spencer DA, Gennery AR, Clark JE, North East England Pediat Resp. Risk Factors for the Development of Pleural Empyema in Children. Pediatric Pulmonology 2015, 50(7), 721-726.
- Brock TM, Sidaginamale R, Rushton S, Nargol AVF, Bowsher JG, Savisaar C, Joyce TJ, Deehan DJ, Lord JK, Langton DJ. Shorter, rough trunnion surfaces are associated with higher taper wear rates than longer, smooth trunnion surfaces in a contemporary large head metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasty system. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 2015, 33(12), 1868-1874.
- Kimanzi JK, Sanderson RA, Rushton SP, Mugo MJ. Spatial distribution of snares in Ruma National Park, Kenya, with implications for management of the roan antelope Hippotragus equinus langheldi and other wildlife. Oryx 2015, 49(02), 295-302.
- Khan SK, Rushton SP, Shields DW, Corsar KG, Refaie R, Gray AC, Deehan DJ. The risk of cardiorespiratory deaths persists beyond 30 days after proximal femoral fracture surgery. Injury 2015, 46(2), 358-362.
- Kleim BD, Malviya A, Rushton S, Bardgett M, Deehan DJ. Understanding the patient-reported factors determining time taken to return to work after hip and knee arthroplasty. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 2015, 23(12), 3646-3652.
- Elemraid MA, Rushton SP, Clark JE, Perry JD, Thomas MF, Sails AD, Gennery AR, Spencer DA, North East of England Paediatric Respiratory Infection Study Group. A Case-Control Study to Assess the Urinary Pneumococcal Antigen Test in Childhood Pneumonia. Clinical Pediatrics 2014, 53(3), 286-288.
- Elemraid MA, Muller M, Spencer DA, Rushton SP, Gorton R, Thomas MF, Eastham KM, Hampton F, Gennery AR, Clark JE, North East England Paediat Resp In. Accuracy of the Interpretation of Chest Radiographs for the Diagnosis of Paediatric Pneumonia. PLoS One 2014, 9(8), e106051.
- Sun BH, Dennis PG, Laudicina VA, Ord VJ, Rushton SP, O'Donnell AG, Newsham KK, Hopkins DW. Biogeochemical responses to nutrient, moisture and temperature manipulations of soil from Signy Island, South Orkney Islands in the Maritime Antarctic. Antarctic Science 2014, 26(5), 513-520.
- Ghosh KM, Blain AP, Longstaff L, Rushton S, Amis AA, Deehan DJ. Can we define envelope of laxity during navigated knee arthroplasty?. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 2014, 22(8), 1736-1743.
- Elemraid MA, Rushton SP, Thomas MF, Spencer DA, Eastham KM, Gennery AR, Clark JE, North East England Paediatric Respiratory Infection Study Group. Changing clinical practice: management of paediatric community-acquired pneumonia. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice 2014, 20(1), 94-99.
- Mill AC, Rushton SP, Shirley MDF, Smith GC, Mason P, Brown MA, Budge GE. Clustering, persistence and control of a pollinator brood disease: epidemiology of American foulbrood. Environmental Microbiology 2014, 16(12), 3753-3763.
- Barron E, Sharma A, Le Couteur J, Rushton S, Close A, Kelly T, Grunze H, Ferrier I, Le Couteur A. Family environment of bipolar families: A UK study. Journal of Affective Disorders 2014, 152-154, 522-525.
- Kimanzi J, Sanderson R, Rushton S. Habitat suitability modelling and implications for management of roan antelopes in Kenya. African Journal of Ecology 2014, 52(1), 111-121.
- Hunt NC, Ghosh KM, Blain AP, Athwal KK, Rushton SP, Amis AA, Longstaff LM, Deehan DJ. How Does Laxity After Single Radius Total Knee Arthroplasty Compare With the Native Knee?. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 2014, 32(9), 1208-1213.
- Jameson SS, Rushton SP, Dowen D, Baker P, James P, Reed MR, Deehan D. Increasing age and female gender are associated with early knee replacement following arthroscopy. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 2014, 22(11), 2665-2671.
- Bettridge JM, Lynch SE, Brena MC, Melese K, Dessie T, Terfa ZG, Desta TT, Rushton S, Hanotte O, Kaiser P, Wigley P, Christley RM. Infection-interactions in Ethiopian village chickens. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 2014, 117(2), 358-366.
- Shuttleworth CM, Everest DJ, McInnes CJ, Greenwood A, Jackson NL, Rushton S, Kenward RE. Inter-specific viral infections: Can the management of captive red squirrel collections help inform scientific research?. Hystrix: the Italian Journal of Mammalogy 2014, 25(1), 18-24.
- Schuchert P, Shuttleworth CM, McInnes CJ, Everest DJ, Rushton SP. Landscape scale impacts of culling upon a European grey squirrel population: can trapping reduce population size and decrease the threat of squirrelpox virus infection for the native red squirrel?. Biological Invasions 2014, 16(11), 2381-2391.
- Shah T, Cloke DJ, Rushton S, Shirley MDF, Deehan DJ. Lower back symptoms in adolescent soccer players predictors of functional recovery. Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine 2014, 2(4).
- Mill AC, Rushton SP, Robertson P, Smith GC, Henderson I, Lee D, Sandhutton UK. Modeling source and sink dynamics in the spread and subsequent eradication of an invasive non-native species. Book of Abstracts 2014, 191.
- Tétard-Jones C, Gatehouse AMR, Cooper J, Leifert C, Rushton S. Modelling pathways to Rubisco degradation: a structural equation network modelling approach. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(2), e87597.
- Elemraid M, Pollard K, Thomas M, Simmister C, Spencer D, Rushton S, Gennery A, Clark J. Parental decisions on children participating in research: Mohamed Elemraid and colleagues consider what influences parents in allowing their child to be enrolled in clinical research. Nursing Children and Young People 2014, 25(8), 16-21.
- Mill AC, Rushton SP, Shirley MDF, Smith GC, Mason P, Brown MA, Budge GE, Sandhutton UK. Spatial point process models to determine clustering of American Foulbrook in UK Honeybees. In: International Statistical Ecology Conference. 2014, Montpellier, France: ISEC.
- Blain AP, Thomas MF, Shirley MDF, Simmister C, Elemraid MA, Gorton R, Pearce MS, Clark JE, Rushton SP, Spencer DA. Spatial variation in the risk of hospitalization with childhood pneumonia and empyema in the North of England. Epidemiology and Infection 2014, 142(2), 388-398.
- Elemraid MA, Rushton SP, Thomas MF, Spencer DA, Gennery AR, Clark JE. Utility of inflammatory markers in predicting the aetiology of pneumonia in children. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease 2014, 79(4), 458-462.
- Kemmett K, Humphrey T, Rushton S, Close A, Wigley P, Williams NJ. A Longitudinal Study Simultaneously Exploring The Carriage of APEC Virulence Associated Genes and The Molecular Epidemiology of Faecal and Systemic E. coli in Commercial Broiler Chickens. PLoS One 2013, 8(6), e67749.
- Elemraid MA, Sails AD, Eltringham GJA, Perry JD, Rushton SP, Spencer DA, Thomas MF, Eastham KM, Hampton F, Gennery AR, Clark JE, North East of England Paediatric Respiratory Infection Study Group. Aetiology of paediatric pneumonia after the introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. European Respiratory Journal 2013, 42(6), 1595-1603.
- Sofianopoulou E, Rushton SP, Diggle PJ, Pless-Mulloli T. Association between respiratory prescribing, air pollution and deprivation, in primary health care. Journal of Public Health 2013, 35(4), 502-509.
- Close A, Robertson C, Rushton S, Shirley M, Vale L, Ramsay C, Pickard R. Comparative Cost-effectiveness of Robot-assisted and Standard Laparoscopic Prostatectomy as Alternatives to Open Radical Prostatectomy for Treatment of Men with Localised Prostate Cancer: A Health Technology Assessment from the Perspective of the UK National Health Service. European Urology 2013, 64(3), 361-369.
- Slater MJ, Mgaya YD, Mill AC, Rushton SP, Stead SM. Effect of social and economic drivers on choosing aquaculture as a coastal livelihood. Ocean and Coastal Management 2013, 73, 22-30.
- Khan SK, Rushton SP, Courtney M, Gray AC, Deehan DJ. Elderly men with renal dysfunction are most at risk for poor outcome after neck of femur fractures. Age and Ageing 2013, 42(1), 76-81.
- Khan SK, Rushton SP, Dosani A, Gray AC, Deehan DJ. Factors Influencing Length of Stay and Mortality After First and Second Hip Fractures: An Event Modeling Analysis. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 2013, 27(2), 82-86.
- Elemraid MA, Rushton SP, Shirley MDF, Thomas MF, Spencer DA, Eastham KM, Hampton F, Gorton R, Pollard K, Gennery AR, Clark JE, North East of England Paediatric Respiratory Infection Study Group. Impact of the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on the incidence of childhood pneumonia. Epidemiology and Infection 2013, 141(8), 1697-1704.
- Thomas MF, Sheppard C, Guiver M, Simmister C, Elemraid MA, Clark JE, Rushton SP, Paton JY, Spencer DA. Paediatric Pneumococcal Empyema Serotypes Have Not Changed Following Introduction of the 13 Valent Pneumococcal Vaccine. In: British Thoracic Society Winter Meeting. 2013, London, UK: BMJ Publishing Group.
- Elemraid M, Pollard K, Thomas M, Simmister C, Spencer D, Rushton S, Gennery A, Clark J. Parental decisions on children participating in research. Nursing Children and Young People 2013, 25(8), 16-21.
- Baker PN, Rushton S, Jameson SS, Reed M, Gregg P, Deehan DJ. Patient satisfaction with total knee replacement cannot be predicted from pre-operative variables alone A cohort study from the National Joint Registry for England and Wales. Bone & Joint Journal 2013, 95B(10), 1359-1365.
- Elemraid MA, Sails AD, Thomas MF, Rushton SP, Perry JD, Eltringham GJA, Spencer DA, Eastham KM, Hampton F, Gennery AR, Clark JE, North East of England Paediatric Respiratory Infection Study Group. Pneumococcal diagnosis and serotypes in childhood community-acquired pneumonia. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease 2013, 76(2), 129-132.
- Soto E, McGovern-Hopkins E, KlingerBowen R, Fox BK, Brock J, Antonio N, van der Waal Z, Rushton S, Mill A, Tamaru CS. Prevalence of Francisella noatunensis subsp. orientalis in Cultured Tilapia on the Island of Oahu, Hawaii. Journal of Aquatic Aniimal Health 2013, 25(2), 104-109.
- Baron AW, Rushton SP, Rens N, Morris CM, Blain PG, Judge SJ. Sex differences in effects of low level domoic acid exposure. NeuroToxicology 2013, 34, 1-8.
- Dennis PG, Newsham KK, Rushton SP, Ord VJ, O'Donnell AG, Hopkins DW. Warming constrains bacterial community responses to nutrient inputs in a southern, but not northern, maritime Antarctic soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 2013, 57, 248-255.
- Carter SP, Chambers MA, Rushton SP, Shirley MDF, Schuchert P, Pietravalle S, Murray A, Rogers F, Gettinby G, Smith GC, Delahay RJ, Hewinson RG, McDonald RA. BCG Vaccination Reduces Risk of Tuberculosis Infection in Vaccinated Badgers and Unvaccinated Badger Cubs. PLoS One 2012, 7(12), e49833.
- Sofianopoulou E, Rushton S, Rubin G, Pless-Mulloli T. Defining GP practice areas based on true service utilisation. Health & Place 2012, 18(6), 1248-1254.
- Thomas MF, Sheppard CL, Guiver M, Slack MPE, George RC, Gorton R, Paton JY, Simmister C, Cliff D, Elemraid MA, Clark JE, Rushton SP, Spencer DA. Emergence of pneumococcal 19A empyema in UK children. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2012, 97(12), 1070-1072.
- Mill AC, Rushton SP, Shirley MDF, Murray AWA, Smith GC, Delahay RJ, McDonald RA. Farm-scale risk factors for bovine tuberculosis incidence in cattle herds during the Randomised Badger Culling Trial. Epidemiology and Infection 2012, 140(2), 219-230.
- Iordan F, Rushton SP, Macdonald DW, Bonesi L. Predicting the spread of feral populations of the American mink in Italy: is it too late for eradication?. Biological Invasions 2012, 14(9), 1895-1908.
- Dennis PG, Rushton SP, Newsham KK, Laudicina VA, Ord VJ, Daniell TJ, O'Donnell AG, Hopkins DW. Soil fungal community composition does not alter along a latitudinal gradient through the maritime and sub-Antarctic (vol 5, pg 403, 2012). Fungal Ecology 2012, 5(6), 759-759.
- Ramsay C, Pickard R, Robertson C, Close A, Vale L, Armstrong N, Barocas DA, Eden CG, Fraser C, Gurung T, Jenkinson D, Jia X, Lam TB, Mowatt G, Nea DE, Robinson MC, Royle J, Rushton SP, Sharma P, Shirley MDF, Soomro N. Systematic review and economic modelling of the relative clinical benefit and cost-effectiveness of laparoscopic surgery and robotic surgery for removal of the prostate in men with localised prostate cancer. Health Technology Assessment 2012, 16(41), xiv, 313.
- Ghosh M, Blain A, Longstaff l, Rushton S, Deehan D. The effect of total knee replacement on the envelope of laxity of the knee. In: 15th European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy Congress. 2012, Geneva.
- Sinha A, Thomas MF, Rushton SP, Cheetham T. The impact of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion on glycaemic control in children and adolescents: a regional review in North East England using a bio-modelling approach. Diabetic Medicine 2012, 29(10), 1342-1343.
- Malviya A, Rushton SP, Foster HE, Ferris CM, Hanson H, Muthumayandi K, Deehan DJ. The relationships between adult juvenile idiopathic arthritis and employment. Arthritis & Rheumatism 2012, 64(9), 3016-3024.
- Cloke D, Moore O, Shab T, Rushton S, Shirley MDF, Deehan DJ. Thigh Muscle Injuries in Youth Soccer Predictors of Recovery. American Journal of Sports Medicine 2012, 40(2), 433-439.
- Dadvand P, Rankin J, Rushton S, Pless-Mulloli T. Ambient air pollution and congenital heart disease: A register-based study. Environmental Research 2011, 111(3), 435-441.
- Chambers MA, Rogers F, Delahay RJ, Lesellier S, Ashford R, Dalley D, Gowtage S, Davé D, Palmer S, Brewer J, Crawshaw T, Clifton-Hadley R, Carter S, Cheeseman C, Hanks C, Murray A, Palphramand K, Pietravalle S, Smith GC, Tomlinson A, Walker NJ, Wilson GJ, Corner LAL, Rushton SP, Shirley MDF, Gettinby G, McDonald RA, Hewinson RG. Bacillus Calmette-Guérin vaccination reduces the severity and progression of tuberculosis in badgers. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 2011, 278(1713), 1913-1920.
- Jorgensen F, Ellis-Iversen FJ, Rushton S, Bull S, Harris SA, Bryan SJ, Gonzalez A, Humphrey TJ. Influence of Season and Geography on Campylobacter jejuni and C. coli Subtypes in Housed Broiler Flocks Reared in Great Britain. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 2011, 77(11), 3741-3748.
- Mill AC, Rushton SP, Murrary AWA, Rose M. PAH contamination in Shellfish: Modelling to estimate exposure. Ecotoxicology 2011, 21(2), 393-408.
- Dadvand P, Ruston S, Diggle PJ, Goffe L, Rankin J, Pless-Mulloli T. Using spatio-temporal modelling to predict long-term exposure to black smoke at fine spatial and temporal scale. Atmospheric Environment 2011, 45(3), 659-664.
- Bruemmer CM, Rushton SP, Gurnell J, Lurz PWW, Nettleton P, Sainsbury AW, Duff JP, Gilray J, McInnes CJ. Epidemiology of squirrelpox virus in grey squirrels in the UK. Epidemiology and Infection 2010, 138(7), 941-950.
- Pearce MS, Glinianaia SV, Rankin J, Rushton S, Charlton M, Parker L, Pless-Mulloli T. No association between ambient particulate matter exposure during pregnancy and stillbirth risk in the north of England, 1962-1992. Environmental Research 2010, 110(1), 118-122.
- Jenkins SN, Rushton SP, Lanyon CV, Whiteley AS, Waite IS, Brookes PC, Kemmitt S, Evershed RP, O'Donnell AG. Taxon-specific responses of soil bacteria to the addition of low level C inputs. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 2010, 42(9), 1624-1631.
- Rushton SP, Shirley MDF, Sheridan EA, Lanyon CV, O'Donnell AG. The transmission of nosocomial pathogens in an intensive care unit: a space-time clustering and structural equation modelling approach. Epidemiology and Infection 2010, 138(6), 915-926.
- Elmhagen B, Ludwig G, Rushton SP, Helle P, Linden H. Top predators, mesopredators and their prey: interference ecosystems along bioclimatic productivity gradients. Journal of Animal Ecology 2010, 79(4), 785-794.
- Jenkins SN, Waite IS, Blackburn A, Husband R, Rushton SP, Manning DC, O'Donnell AG. Actinobacterial community dynamics in long term managed grasslands. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 2009, 95(4), 319-334.
- Rushton SP, Humphrey TJ, Shirley MDF, Bull S, Jorgensen F. Campylobacter in housed broiler chickens: a longitudinal study of risk factors. Epidemiology and Infection 2009, 137(8), 1099-1110.
- Wilkinson D, Bennett R, McFarlane I, Rushton S, Shirley M, Smith G. Cost-benefit analysis model of badger (Meles meles) culling to reduce herd tuberculosis breakdowns in Britain, with particular reference to badger perturbation. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 2009, 45(4), 1062–1088.
- Dadvand P, Rankin J, Shirley MDF, Rushton SP, Pless-Mulloli T. Descriptive epidemiology of congenital heart disease in Northern England. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology 2009, 23(1), 58-65.
- Atherton KM, Williams FM, Gonzalez FJE, Glass R, Rushton S, Blain PG, Mutch E. DNA damage in horticultural farmers: a pilot study showing an association with organophosphate pesticide exposure. Biomarkers 2009, 14(7), 443-451.
- MacNeil MA, Graham NAJ, Polunin NVC, Kulbicki M, Galzin R, Harmelin-Vivien M, Rushton SP. Hierarchical drivers of reef-fish metacommunity structure. Ecology 2009, 90(1), 252-264.
- Girardello M, Griggio M, Whittingham MJ, Rushton SP. Identifying important areas for butterfly conservation in Italy. Animal Conservation 2009, 12(1), 20-28.
- Shirley MDF, Elmhagen B, Lurz PWW, Rushton SP, Angerbjorn A. Modelling the spatial population dynamics of arctic foxes: the effects of red foxes and microtine cycles. Canadian Journal of Zoology 2009, 87(12), 1170-1183.
- MacNeill MA, Tyler EHM, Fonnesbeck CJ, Rushton SP, Polunin NVC, Conroy MJ. Accounting for detectability in reef-fish biodiversity estimates. Marine Ecology - Progress Series 2008, 367, 249-260.
- Cook A, Rushton S, Allan J, Baxter A. An evaluation of techniques to control problem bird species on landfill sites. Environmental Management 2008, 41(6), 834-843.
- MacNeil MA, Graham NAJ, Conroy MJ, Fonnesbeck CJ, Polunin NVC, Rushton SP, Chabanet P, McClanahan TR. Detection heterogeneity in underwater visual-census data. Journal of Fish Biology 2008, 73(7), 1748-1763.
- Wilson SK, Fisher R, Pratchett MS, Graham NAJ, Dulvy NK, Turner RA, Cakacaka A, Polunin NVC, Rushton SP. Exploitation and habitat degradation as agents of change within coral reef fish communities. Global Change Biology 2008, 14(12), 2796-2809.
- Fanshawe TR, Diggle PJ, Rushton SP, Sanderson RA, Lurz PWW, Glinianaia SV, Pearce MS, Parker L, Charlton M, Pless-Mulloli T. Modelling spatio-temporal variation in exposure to particulate matter: a two-stage approach. Environmetrics 2008, 19(6), 549-566.
- Sainsbury AW, Deaville R, Lawson B, Cooley WA, Farelly SSJ, Stack MJ, Duff P, McInnes CJ, Gurnell J, Russell PH, Rushton SP, Pfeiffer DU, Nettleton P, Lurz PWW. Poxviral Disease in Red Squirrels Sciurus vulgaris in the UK: Spatial and Temporal Trends of an Emerging Threat. EcoHealth 2008, 5(3), 305-316.
- Bertolino S, Lurz P, Sanderson RA, Rushton SP. Predicting the spread of the American grey squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) in Europe: A call for a co-ordinated European approach. Biological Conservation 2008, 141(10), 2564-2575.
- McNally RJQ, Rankin J, Shirley MDF, Rushton SP, Pless-Mulloli T. Space-time analysis of Down syndrome: Results consistent with transient pre-disposing contagious agent. International Journal of Epidemiology 2008, 37(5), 1169-1179.
- Lanyon CV, Rushton SP, O'Donnell AG, Goodfellow M, Ward AC, Petrie M, Jensen SP, Gosling LM, Penn DJ. Murine scent mark microbial communities are genetically determined. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 2007, 59(3), 576-583.
- Rushton SP, Goodfellow M, O'Donnell AG, Magee JG. The epidemiology of atypical mycobacterial diseases in northern England: A space-time clustering and Generalized Linear Modelling approach. Epidemiology and Infection 2007, 135(5), 765-774.