Dr Gavin Stewart
Senior Lecturer in Evidence Synthesis
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personal Website: https://evidencesynthesisnewcastle.wordpress.com
- Address: Room 5.51, Ridley 2
Modelling, Evidence & Policy Group
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am interested in applied research synthesis (combining scientific information to inform policy). My research focuses on applying evidence-based methods to trans-disciplinary problems relating to sustainable development and food security. I also work on specific applications in healthcare, environmental and social science domains. Methodological work focuses on validating existing methods and developing new techniques for evidence synthesis (by means of systematic review and meta-analysis), and evidence contextualization (by means of decision and systems analysis). I collaborate with others to disseminate the methodologies of evidence-based practice across disciplines reflecting a belief in generic methods for evidence-based x (EBX). I hate p values and am a passionate advocate of both meta-analysis and open science. I am a co-author of the Handbook of Meta-analysis in ecology and evolution which provides a good starting point for those new to complex evidence synthesis.
I am an elected member of the Society for Research Synthesis Methods and associate editor of its journal, Research Synthesis Methods. I am the co-chair and senior editor of the Campbell Collaboration food security group; associate editor for PeerJ; statistical editor for the Cochrane Pain and Palliative Care Group.
Outside of research synthesis, I enjoy fell/ultra running, mine exploration/rescue, gardening (particularly dwarf rhododendrons, arctic-alpines, and vegetables) and drinking beer and whisky.
Carbon-Health Food systems tradeoffs. 2017. BBSRC. PI
Understanding Ecosystem stocks and tipping points. 2017. NERC. Co-I
REFRESH. 2014. EC. PI
Maximising global biodiversity gains. 2014. DEFRA. Co-I
Food Integrity. 2012. EC. Co-I.
Collab4Safety. 2011. EC. Co-I.
Postgraduate skills: Data Analysis
Postgraduate skills: Literature Review
Faculty Systematic Review and Meta-analysis workshop
- Kendall H, Kaptan G, Stewart G, Grainger M, Kuznesof S, Naughton P, Clark B, Hubbard C, Raley M, Marvin HJP, Frewer LJ. Drivers of existing and emerging food safety risks: Expert opinion regarding multiple impacts. Food Control 2018, 90, 440-458.
- Carrick J, Abdul Rahim MSAB, Adjei C, Ashraa Kalee HHH, Banks SJ, Bolam FC, Campos Luna IM, Clark B, Cowton J, Domingos IFN, Golicha DD, Gupta G, Grainger M, Hasanaliyeva G, Hodgson DJ, Lopez-Capel E, Magistrali AJ, Merrell IG, Oikeh I, Othman MS, Ranathunga Mudiyanselage TKR, Samuel CWC, Sufar EKH, Watson PA, Zakaria NNAB, Stewart G. Is planting trees the solution to reducing flood risks?. Journal of Flood Risk Management 2018, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Grainger MJ, Aramyan L, Piras S, Quested TE, Righi S, Setti M, Vittuari M, Stewart GB. Model selection and averaging in the assessment of the drivers of household food waste to reduce the probability of false positives. PLOS one 2018, 13(2), e0192075.
- Grainger MJ, Aramyan L, Logatchevac K, Piras S, Righi S, Settib M, Vittuari M, Stewart GB. The use of systems models to identify food waste drivers. Global Food Security 2018, 16, 1-8.
- Warner S, Seal C, Haldar S, Stewart G, Brandt K. A project to investigate the effects of carrot and other polyacetylene-rich vegetable consumption on biomarkers of chronic disease risk. In: International Symposium on Carrot and Other Apiaceae. 2017, Angers, France: International Society for Horticultural Science.
- Clark B, Stewart G, Panzone L, Kyriazakis I, Frewer LJ. Citizens, consumers and farm animal welfare: A meta-analysis of willingness-to-pay studies. Food Policy 2017, 68, 112-127.
- Cook CN, Pullin AS, Sutherland WJ, Stewart GB, Carrasco LR. Considering cost alongside the effectiveness of management in evidence-based conservation: A systematic reporting protocol. Biological Conservation 2017, 209, 508-516.
- Stephenson F, Mill AC, Scott C, Stewart GB, Grainger MJ, Polunin NVC, Fitzsimmons C. Socio-economic, technological and environmental drivers of spatio-temporal changes in fishing pressure. Marine Policy 2017, 88, 189-203.
- Hudson JA, Frewer LJ, Jones G, Brereton PA, Whittingham MJ, Stewart G. The Agri-food chain and Antimicrobial Resistance: a review. Trends in Food Science & Technology 2017, 69(Part A), 131-147.
- Grainger MJ, Stewart GB. The jury is still out on social media as a tool for reducing food waste a response to Young et al. (2017). Resources, Conservation and Recycling 2017, 122, 407-410.
- Clark B, Frewer LJ, Panzone L, Stewart G. The need for formal policy synthesis in food policy. A case study of willingness to pay. Animals 2017, 7(3), 23.
- Clark B, Stewart GB, Panzone LA, Kyriazakis I, Frewer LJ. A systematic review of public attitudes, perceptions and behaviours towards production diseases associated with farm animal welfare. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 2016, 29(3), 455-478.
- Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Seal CJ, Sanderson R, Benbrook C, Steinshamn H, Gromadzka-Ostrowska J, Rembialkowska E, Skwarlo-Sonta K, Eyre M, Cozzi G, Larsen MK, Jordon T, Niggli U, Sakowski T, Calder PC, Burdge GC, Sotiraki S, Stefanakis A, Yolcu H, Stergiadis S, Chatzidimitriou E, Butler G, Stewart G, Leifert C. Composition differences between organic and conventional meat: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. British Journal of Nutrition 2016, 115(6), 994-1011.
- Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Seal CJ, Sanderson R, Benbrook C, Steinshamn H, Gromadzka-Ostrowska J, Rembialkowska E, Skwarlo-Sonta K, Eyre M, Cozzi G, Larsen MK, Jordon T, Niggli U, Sakowski T, Calder PC, Burdge GC, Sotiraki S, Stefanakis A, Stergiadis S, Yolcu H, Chatzidimitriou E, Butler G, Stewart G, Leifert C. Higher PUFA and n-3 PUFA, conjugated linoleic acid, α-tocopherol and iron, but lower iodine and selenium concentrations in organic milk: a systematic literature review and meta- and redundancy analyses. British Journal of Nutrition 2016, 115(6), 1043-1060.
- Whaley P, Halsall CJ, Ågerstrand M, Aiassa E, Benford D, Bilotta G, Coggon D, Collins C, Dempsey C, Duarte-Davidson R, FitzGerald R, Galay-Burgos M, Gee D, Hoffmann S, Lam J, Lasserson T, Levy L, Lipworth S, Mackenzie Ross S, Martin O, Meads C, Meyer-Baron M, Miller J, Pease C, Rooney A, Sapiets A, Stewart GB, Taylor D. Implementing systematic reviews techniques in chemical risk assessment: Challenges, opportunities and recommendations. Environment International 2016, 92-93, 556-564.
- Cooper J, Baranski M, Stewart G, Nobel-de Lange M, Bàrberi P, Fließbach A, Peigné J, Berner A, Brock C, Casagrande M, Crowley O, David C, De Vliegher A, Döring TF, Dupont A, Entz M, Gorsse M, Haase T, Halde C, Hammerl V, Huiting H, Leithold G, Messmer M, Schloter M, Sukkel W, van der Heijgen MGA, Willekens K, Wittwer R, Mäder P. Shallow non-inversion tillage in organic farming maintains crop yields and increases soil C stocks: a meta-analysis. Agronomy for Sustainable Development 2016, 36(1), 22.
- Simmonds M, Stewart G, Stewart L. A decade of individual participant data meta-analyses: A review of current practice. Contemporary Clinical Trials 2015, 45(Part A), 76-83.
- Stergiadis S, Bieber A, Francheschin E, Isensee A, Eyre MD, Maurer V, Chatzidimitriou E, Cozzi G, Bapst B, Stewart G, Gordon A, Butler G, Leifert C. Crossbreeding low-input dairy cows in Switzerland with US Brown Swiss: effect on summer milk fatty acid profile. In: British Society of Animal Science Annual Conference. 2015, Chester, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Bieber A, Stergiadis S, Franceschin E, Isensee A, Eyre MD, Maurer V, Chatzidimitriou E, Cozzi G, Bapst GB, Stewart G, Gordon A, Butler G, Leifert C. Einfluss von Brown Swiss Genetik und Weidegang auf die Fettsäurezusammensetzung von Kuhmilch. In: Swiss Association for Animal Production. 2015, Zollikofen, Switzerland: HAFL.
- Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Seal C, Sanderson R, Stewart G, Benbrook C, Rembialkovska E, Niggli U, Volakakis N, Leifert C. Higher antioxidant and lower cadmium concentrations and lower incidence of pesticide residues in organically grown crops: a systematic literature review and meta-analyses. In: 12th European Nutrition Conference (FENS). 2015, Berlin, Germany: Karger.
- Bayliss HR, Lortie CJ, Stewart GB. How "good" is half a fish? Communicating outcomes of quantitative syntheses to decision makers. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 2015, 13(10), 533-534.
- Lortie CJ, Stewart GB, Rothstein H, Lau J. How to critically read ecological meta-analyses. Research synthesis methods 2015, 6, 124-133. In Preparation.
- Bieber A, Stergiadis S, Franceschin E, Isensee A, Eyre MD, Maurer V, Chatzidimitriou E, Cozzi G, Bapst B, Stewart G, Gordon A, Butler G, Leifert C. Influence of Brown Swiss genetics and grazing on the fatty acid composition of cow's milk in low-input systems. In: Healthy and productive animals: should we adapt the genotype to the feed or vis versa? ETH Series for Animal Nutrition (in German). 2015.
- Bieber A, Stergiadis S, Franceschin E, Isensee A, Eyre MD, Maurer V, Chatzidimitriou E, Cozzi G, Bapst B, Stewart G, Gordon A, Butler G, Leifert C. Influence of US Brown Swiss genetics and grazing on bovine milk fatty acid profile. In: Proceedings of the Swiss Association for Animal production Annual Conference (in German). 2015.
- Stewart GB, Schmid CH. Lessons from meta-analysis in ecology and evolution: the need for trans-disciplinary evidence synthesis methodologies. Research Synthesis Methods 2015, 6(2), 109-110.
- Stewart LA, Clarke M, Rovers M, Riley RD, Simmonds M, Stewart G, Tierney JF, PRISMA-IPD Dev Grp. Preferred Reporting Items for a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Individual Participant Data The PRISMA-IPD Statement. JAMA-Journal of the American Medical Association 2015, 313(16), 1657-1665.
- Stewart GB, Higgins JPT, Schunemann H, Meader N. The Use of Bayesian Networks to Assess the Quality of Evidence from Research Synthesis: 1. PLoS One 2015, 10(4).
- Llewellyn A, Whittington C, Stewart G, Higgins JPT, Meader N. The use of Bayesian networks to assess the quality of evidence from research synthesis: 2. Inter-rater reliability and Comparison with standard GRADE assessment. PLoS ONE 2015, 10(12), e0123511.
- Meader N, King K, Llewellyn A, Norman G, Brown J, Rodgers M, Moe-Byrne T, Sowden A, Stewart GB. A checklist designed to aid consistency and reproducibility of GRADE assessments: development and pilot validation. Systematic Reviews 2014, 3, 82.
- Clark B, Stewart GB, Panzone LA, Frewer LJ. A Protocol for a meta-analysis of consumers' and citizens willingness-to-pay for farm animal welfare and disease prevention. PeerJ PrePrints 2014.
- Clark B, Stewart GB, Panzone LA, Frewer LJ. A protocol for a systematic review into consumers' attitudes, beliefs and perceived ethical obligations towards farm animal welfare. PeerJ 2014.
- Pescott OL, Stewart GB. Assessing the impact of human trampling on vegetation: a systematic review and meta-analysis of experimental evidence. PeerJ 2014, 2, e360.
- Baranski M, Srednicka-Tober D, Volakakis N, Seal C, Sanderson R, Stewart GB, Benbrook C, Biavati B, Markellou E, Giotis C, Gromadzka-Ostrowska J, Rembialkowska E, Skwarlo-Sonta K, Tahvonen R, Janovska D, Niggli U, Nicot P, Leifert C. Higher antioxidant and lower cadmium concentrations and lower incidence of pesticide residues in organically grown crops: a systematic literature review and meta-analyses. British Journal of Nutrition 2014, 112(5), 794-811.
- Stewart GB, Meader N, Mengersen K. Potential uses of Bayesian networks as tools for synthesis of systematic reviews of complex interventions. Research Synthesis Methods 2014, 5(1), 1-12.