Dr Shannon Flynn
Lecturer in Inorganic Geochemistry
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (191) 208 4515
- Address: School of Natural and Environmental Sciences
4.07 Drummond Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
My work is broadly focused on characterizing the fate and behavior of metals and contaminants in the environment in order to inform risk assessments, and treatment or remediation options. To do so, I couple laboratory and field experiments using a variety of advanced instrumental techniques, such as ICP-MS/MS, SEM, and TEM, to identify biotic and abiotic reaction pathways and mechanisms.
Education and Experience
2014-2017 University of Alberta
Focus: Characterization of flowback and produced waters from hydraulically fractured wells in the Duvernay Formation, Alberta Canada
Supervised by Dr Daniel Alessi
2010-2015 PhD, University of Notre Dame
Dissertation: Environmental behavior of metals and radionuclides
Supervised by Dr Jeremy Fein
2005-2009 BSc, Environmental Engineering, Michigan Technological University
2005-2010 BSc, Liberal Arts, Northland College
Area of Expertise
Currently, I have two potential studentship opportunities available through the IAPETUS2 NERC DTP. Applications are due January 18, 2019. For more information click on the links below for project descriptions:
1. A novel biomarker approach to unravel the complex carbon
inputs to marine hadal trenches and subduction zones
(Ref IAP2-18-127) with Newcastle University and the British Geologic Survey Sediment from the deepest point of each ocean will collected as part of the Five Deeps Expedition
2. De-risking unconventional hydrocarbon exploration through novel biogeochemical approaches: towards a systematic understanding of organic matter processes in the subsurface and their impact on the environment (Ref IAP2-18-170) with Heriot-Watt University, Newcastle University and the British Geologic Survey
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=22vlw3UAAAAJ&hl=en
-Reactions at the mineral interface
-Hydraulic fracturing water cycle
-Environmental degradation of organic contaminants
-Deep sea biomarkers
CEG2609 Research Methods in Environmental Pollution
CEG8624 Environmental Analytical Geochemistry (Inorganic)
CEG8641 Environmental Inorganic Analysis
- Liu Y, Alessi DS, Flynn SL, Alam MS, Hao W, Gingras M, Zhao H, Konhauser KO. Acid-base properties of kaolinite, montmorillonite and illite at marine ionic strength. Chemical Geology 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- von Gunten K, Warchola T, Donner M, Cossio M, Hao W, Boothman C, Lloyd J, Siddique T, Partin CA, Flynn SL, Rosaasen A, Konhauser KO, Alessi DS. Biogeochemistry of U, Ni, and As in two meromictic pit lakes at the Cluff Lake uranium mine, northern Saskatchewan. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Alam MS, Swaren L, von Gunten K, Cossio M, Bishop B, Robbins LJ, Hou D, Flynn SL, Ok YS, Konhauser KO, Alessi DS. Application of surface complexation modeling to trace metals uptake by biochar-amended agricultural soils. Applied Geochemistry 2018, 88(Part A), 103-112.
- Blewett TA, Newton D, Flynn SL, Alessi DS, Goss GG, Hamilton TJ. Cadmium bioaccumulates after acute exposure but has no effect on locomotion or shelter-seeking behaviour in the invasive green shore crab (Carcinus maenas). Conservation Physiology 2017, 5(1).
- He Y, Flynn SL, Folkerts EJ, Zhang Y, Ruan D, Alessi DS, Martin JS, Goss GG. Chemical and toxicological characterizations of hydraulic fracturing flowback and produced water. Water Research 2017, 114, 78-87.
- Warchola TJ, Flynn SL, Robbins LJ, Liu Y, Gauger T, Kovalchuk O, Alam MS, Wei S, Myers R, Bishop B, Lalonde SV, Gingras MK, Kappler A, Alessi DS, Konhauser KO. Field- and Lab-Based Potentiometric Titrations of Microbial Mats from the Fairmont Hot Spring, Canada. Geomicrobiology Journal 2017, 34(10), 851-863.
- Flynn SL, Gao Q, Robbins LJ, Warchola TJ, Weston JNJ, Alam MS, Liu Y, Konhauser KO, Alessi DS. Measurements of bacterial mat metal binding capacity in alkaline and carbonate-rich systems. Chemical Geology 2017, 451, 17-24.
- Konhauser KO, Robbins LJ, Alessi DS, Flynn SL, Gringras MK, Martinez RE, Kappler A, Swanner ED, Li YL, Crowe SA, Planavsky NJ, Reinhard CT, Lalonde SV. Phytoplankton contributions to the trace-element composition of Precambrian banded iron formations. Geologic Society of America Bulletin 2017, 130(5-6), 941-951.
- Blewett TA, Delompre PLM, He Y, Folkerts EJ, Flynn SL, Alessi DS, Goss GG. Sublethal and Reproductive Effects of Acute and Chronic Exposure to Flowback and Produced Water from Hydraulic Fracturing on the Water Flea Daphnia magna. Environmental Science and Technology 2017, 51(5), 3032-3039.
- Flynn SL, Szymanowski JES, Dembowski M, Burns PC, Fein JB. Experimental measurements of U24Py nanocluster behavior in aqueous solution. Radiochimica Acta 2016, 104(12), 853-864.
- Flynn SL, Szymanowski JES, Gao Y, Liu L, Burns PC, Fein JB. Experimental measurements of U60 nanocluster stability in aqueous solution. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 2015, 156, 94-105.
- Flynn SF, Szymanowski JES, Fein JB. Modeling bacterial metal toxicity using a surface complexation approach. Chemical Geology 2014, 374-375, 110-116.
- Hao W, Flynn SL, Alessi DS, Konhauser KO. Change of the point of zero net proton charge (pHPZNPC) of clay minerals with ionic strength. Chemical Geology 2018, 493, 458-467.
- Alam MDS, Gorman-Lewis D, Chen N, Flynn SL, Ok Y, Konhauser K, Alessi DS. Thermodynamic analysis of nickle(II) and zinc (II) adsorption to biochar. Environmental Science & Technology 2018, 52(11), 6246–6255.