Dr Elizabeth Gibson
Reader in Energy Materials
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5541
- Personal Website: https://blogs.ncl.ac.uk/elizabethgibson/
- Address: Energy Materials Laboratory
Newcastle upon Tyne
I took up a lectureship at Newcastle in September 2014 and was promoted to Reader in 2018. Previously, I was awarded a Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Research Fellowship and a University of Nottingham Anne McLaren Research Fellowship 2010, having spent 3 years as a post-doc at the Centre for Molecular Devices, Uppsala University, Sweden, developing dye-sensitized solar cells. I completed my PhD in 2007 at the University of York, supervised by Robin Perutz FRS and Anne-Kathrin Duhme-Klair. Research in my group focuses on solar cell and solar fuel devices that function at a molecular level and challenge the conventional solid-state photovoltaic technologies. We specialise in dye-sensitized nanostructured NiO electrodes, which are less well understood than conventional TiO2 devices pioneered by Grätzel, but when coupled with TiO2 give very promising tandem dye-sensitized solar cells. Our activities span from fundamental science and physical chemical characterisation of these complex molecular systems to development of new material components such as nanostructured photoelectrodes, dyes and electrolytes and we are producing interesting results.
Research in the Gibson group focuses on dye-sensitized photocathodes which offer new opportunities for converting sunlight into storable energy cheaply and sustainably. We are developing dye-sensitized NiO cathodes for use in tandem dye-sensitized solar cells and for the photo-reduction of carbon dioxide or water to high energy products (solar fuels). Despite the infancy and complexity of this research area, we have brought about a number of exciting developments which have improved our understanding of the system and allowed us to substantially improve the photoconversion efficiency. Addressing the main limitations to p-type dye-sensitized solar cells, by improving the quality of the NiO electrodes, substituting the conventional triiodide/iodide electrolyte for more suitable alternatives and engineering new dyes specifically for the p-type system, has enabled us to substantially increase the efficiency of the device. We are now developing this idea further using the lessons we have learnt from solar cells, to address the issue of solar fuel production. Here, the kinetic balance is even more critical and so we are simultaneously developing new methods to monitor the charge-transfer rates under conditions which are as close as possible to working devices. A particular challenge lies in slowing down charge recombination between the photoreduced dye and the oxidised NiO so that chemistry can take place.
Our ERC-funded project is enabling us to go beyond what we can achieve with NiO. Find out more here:
Research Publicity and Outreach
In addition to academic achievements I feel it is important to publicise my solar energy research to the public through a variety of activities. Recently I was filmed being interviewed in my laboratory as part of the Royal Society 350 Years of Scientific Publishing, “Science Stories”, which will be promoted in March 2015. I have completed a course in Public Engagement from the Royal Society in October 2014. My group and I take part in regular science fairs including the RSC Big Bang and the Royal Society Summer Exhibition. I lead workshops with local primary and secondary schools and science learning centres and was the Guest Speaker at the Year 12 Higher Education evening, Loughborough High School, (04/ 2011 and 04/2012) to promote STEM subjects to female school leavers. I was Science Week Guest Speaker, Bournemouth Natural Science Society, (03/2012), Guest Expert, University Radio Nottingham Science Show, (02/2012), Guest Speaker, ‘Celebrating Women in STEM' Nottingham University (01/2012) and a Campaign Showcase, ‘Impact: The Nottingham Campaign’ launch day (10/2011).
- Hierlinger C, Flint HV, Cordes DB, Slawin AMZ, Gibson EA, Jacquemin D, Guerchais V, ZysmanColman E. A Panchromatic, Near Infrared Ir(III) Emitter Bearing a Tripodal C^N^C ligand as a Dye for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. Polyhedron 2018, 140, 109-115.
- Summers GH, Gibson EA. Bay Annulated Indigo as a New Chromophore for p-type Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. ChemPhotoChem 2018, 2(6), 498-506.
- Mitra T, Moreau F, Nevin A, Perotto C, Summerfield A, Davies E, Gibson E, Easun T, Schroder M. Characterisation of Redox States of Metal-Organic Frameworks by Growth on Modified Thin-film Electrodes. Chemical Science 2018, 9(31), 6572-6579.
- Black FA, Jacquart A, Toupalas G, Alves S, Proust A, Clark IP, Gibson EA, Izzet G. Rapid photoinduced charge injection into covalent polyoxometalate-bodipy conjugates. Chemical Science 2018, 9(25), 5578-5584.
- Black FA, Wood CJ, Ngwerume S, Summers GS, Clark IP, Towrie M, Camp JE, Gibson EA. Charge-transfer dynamics at the dye-semiconductor interface of photocathodes for solar energy applications. Faraday Discussions 2017, 198, 449-461.
- D'Amario L, Jiang R, Cappel U, Gibson E, Boschloo G, Rensmo H, Sun L, Hammarström L, Tian H. Chemical and Physical Reduction of High Valence Ni States in Mesoporous NiO Film for Solar Cell Application. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 2017, 9(39), 33470-33477.
- Gibson EA. Dye-sensitized photocathodes for H2 evolution. Chemical Society Review 2017, 46(20), 6194-6209.
- ElMoll H, Black FA, Wood CJ, AlYasari A, ReddyMarri A, Sazanovich IV, Gibson EA, Fielden J. Increasing p-type dye sensitised solar cell photovoltages using polyoxometalates. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2017, (19), 18831-18835.
- Black FA, Clark CA, Summers GH, Clark IP, Towrie M, Penfold T, George MW, Gibson EA. Investigating interfacial electron transfer in dye-sensitized NiO using vibrational spectroscopy. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2017, 19(11), 7877-7885.
- Sinopoli A, Black FA, Wood CJ, Gibson EA, Elliott PIP. Investigation of a new bis(carboxylate)triazole-based anchoring ligand for dye-sensitised solar cell chromophore complexes. Dalton Transactions 2017, 46(5), 1520-1530.
- Sinopoli A, Wood CJ, Gibson EA, Elliott PIP. New cyclometalated iridium(III) dye chromophore complexes for n-type dye-sensitised solar cells. Inorganica Chimica Acta 2017, 457, 81-89.
- Sinopoli AS, Wood CJ, Gibson EA, Elliott PIP. New cyclometalated iridium(III) dye chromophore complexes for p-type dye-sensitised solar cells. Dyes and Pigments 2017, 140, 269-277.
- Wood CJ, Summers GH, Clark CA, Kaeffer N, Braeutigam M, Carbone LR, DAmario L, Fan K, Farre Y, Narbey S, Oswald F, Stevens LA, Parmenter CDJ, Fay MW, LaTorre A, Snape CE, Dietzek B, Dini D, Hammarström L, Pellegrin Y, Odobel F, Sun L, Artero V, Gibson EA. A comprehensive comparison of dye-sensitized NiO photocathodes for solar energy conversion. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2016, 18(16), 10727-10738.
- Summers GH, Lowe G, Lefebvre JF, Ngwerume S, Bräutigam M, Dietzek B, Camp JE, Gibson EA. A resonance Raman study of new pyrrole-anchoring dyes for NiO-sensitized solar cells. ChemPhysChem 2016, 18(4), 406-414.
- Hao H, Wood CJ, Clark CA, Calladine J, Horvath R, Hanson-Heine M, Sun XZ, Clark IP, Towrie M, George MW, Yang X, Sun L, Gibson EA. Can aliphatic anchoring groups be utilised with dyes for p-type dye sensitized solar cells?. Dalton Transactions 2016, 45(18), 7708-7719.
- Summers GH, Lefebvre JF, Black FA, Davies ES, Gibson EA, Pullerits T, Wood C, Zidek K. Design and characterisation of bodipy sensitizers for dye-sensitized NiO solar cells. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2016, 18(2), 1059-1070.
- Summers GH, Lefebvre JF, Black FA, Davies ES, Gibson EA, Pullerits T, Wood CJ, Zidek K. Design and characterisation of bodipy sensitizers for dye-sensitized NiO solar cells (vol 18, pg 1059, 2016). Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 2016, 18(4), 3358-3358.
- Wood CJ, McGregor CA, Gibson EA. Do iodine or thiocyanate play a role in p-type dye sensitized solar cells?. ChemElectroChem 2016, 3(11), 1827-1836.
- Sinopoli A, Wood CJ, Gibson EA, Elliott PIP. Hybrid Cyclometalated Iridium Coumarin Complex as a Sensitiser of Both n- and p-Type DSSCs. European Journal of Inorganic Chemistry 2016, (18), 2887-2890.
- Wood CJ, Summers GH, Gibson EA. Increased photocurrent in a tandem dye-sensitized solar cell by modifications in push-pull dye-design. Chemical Communications 2015, 51(18), 3915-3918.
- Zannotti M, Wood CJ, Summers GH, Stevens L, Hall MR, Snape CE, Giovannetti R, Gibson EA. Ni Mg mixed metal oxides for p-type dye-sensitized solar cells. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2015, 7(44), 24556-24565.
- Sirbu D, Turta C, Gibson EA, Benniston AC. The ferrocene effect: enhanced electrocatalytic hydrogen production using meso-tetraferrocenyl porphyrin palladium (II) and copper (II) complexes. Dalton Transactions 2015, 44(33), 14646-14655.
- Dini D, Halpin Y, Vos JG, Gibson EA. The influence of the preparation method of NiOx photocathodes on the efficiency of p-type dye-sensitized solar cells. Coordination Chemistry Reviews 2015, 304-305, 179-201.
- Awais M, Gibson E, Vos JG, Dowling DP, Hagfeldt A, Dini D. Fabrication of Efficient NiO Photocathodes Prepared via RDS with Novel Routes of Substrate Processing for p-Type Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. ChemElectroChem 2014, 1(2), 384-391.
- Wood CJ, Robson KCD, Elliott PIP, Berlinguette CP, Gibson EA. Novel triphenylamine-modified ruthenium(II) terpyridine complexes for nickel oxide-based cathodic dye-sensitized solar cells. RSC Advances 2014, 4(11), 5782-5791.
- Lefebvre JF, Sun XZ, Calladine JA, George MW, Gibson EA. Promoting charge-separation in p-type dye-sensitized solar cells using bodipy. Chemical Communications 2014, 50(40), 5258-5260.
- Wood CJ, Cheng M, Clark CA, Horvath R, Clark IP, Hamilton ML, Towrie M, George MW, Sun L, Yang X, Gibson EA. Red-Absorbing Cationic Acceptor Dyes for Photocathodes in Tandem Solar Cells. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Part C 2014, 118(30), 16536-16546.
- Sirbu D, Turta C, Benniston AC, Lemmetyinen H, Tkachenko NV, Wood C, Gibson E. Synthesis and properties of a meso- tris–ferrocene appended zinc(II) porphyrin and a critical evaluation of its dye sensitised solar cell (DSSC) performance. RSC Advances 2014, 4(43), 22733-22742.
- Gibson EA, Awais M, Dini D, Dowling DP, Pryce MT, Vos JG, Boschloo G, Hagfeldt A. Dye sensitised solar cells with nickel oxide photocathodes prepared via scalable microwave sintering. PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY CHEMICAL PHYSICS 2013, 15(7), 2411-2420.
- Welby CE, Gilmartin L, Marriott RR, Zahid A, Rice CR, Gibson EA, Elliott PIP. Luminescent biscyclometalated arylpyridine iridium(III) complexes with 4,4 '-bi-1,2,3-triazolyl ancillary ligands. DALTON TRANSACTIONS 2013, 42(37), 13527-13536.
- Windle CD, Campian MV, Duhme-Klair AK, Gibson EA, Perutz RN, Schneider J. CO2 photoreduction with long-wavelength light: dyads and monomers of zinc porphyrin and rhenium bipyridine. CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS 2012, 48(66), 8189-8191.
- Odobel F, Pellegrin Y, Gibson EA, Hagfeldt A, Smeigh AL, Hammarstrom L. Recent advances and future directions to optimize the performances of p-type dye-sensitized solar cells. COORDINATION CHEMISTRY REVIEWS 2012, 256(21-22), 2414-2423.
- Gibson EA, LePleux L, Fortage J, Pellegrin Y, Blart E, Odobel F, Hagfeldt A, Boschloo G. Role of the Triiodide/Iodide Redox Couple in Dye Regeneration in p-Type Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. LANGMUIR 2012, 28(15), 6485-6493.
- Welby CE, Grkinic S, Zahid A, Uppal BS, Gibson EA, Rice CR, Elliott PIP. Synthesis, characterisation and theoretical study of ruthenium 4,4 '-bi-1,2,3-triazolyl complexes: fundamental switching of the nature of S-1 and T-1 states from MLCT to MC. DALTON TRANSACTIONS 2012, 41(25), 7637-7646. In Preparation.
- Gibson EA, Smeigh AL, LePleux L, Hammarstrom L, Odobel F, Boschloo G, Hagfeldt A. Cobalt Polypyridyl-Based Electrolytes for p-Type Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY C 2011, 115(19), 9772-9779.
- Boschloo G, Gibson EA, Hagfeldt A. Photomodulated Voltammetry of Iodide/Triiodide Redox Electrolytes and Its Relevance to Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY LETTERS 2011, 2(24), 3016-3020. In Preparation.
- LePleux L, Smeigh AL, Gibson E, Pellegrin Y, Blart E, Boschloo G, Hagfeldt A, Hammarstrom L, Odobel F. Synthesis, photophysical and photovoltaic investigations of acceptor-functionalized perylene monoimide dyes for nickel oxide p-type dye-sensitized solar cells. ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE 2011, 4(6), 2075-2084.
- Gibson EA, Duhme-Klair AK, Perutz RN. Design and synthesis of water soluble (metallo)porphyrins with pendant arms: studies of binding to xanthine oxidase. NEW JOURNAL OF CHEMISTRY 2010, 34(6), 1125-1134.
- Feldt SM, Gibson EA, Gabrielsson E, Sun L, Boschloo G, Hagfeldt A. Design of Organic Dyes and Cobalt Polypyridine Redox Mediators for High-Efficiency Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 2010, 132(46), 16714-16724.
- Li L, Gibson EA, Qin P, Boschloo G, Gorlov M, Hagfeldt A, Sun LC. Double-Layered NiO Photocathodes for p-Type DSSCs with Record IPCE. ADVANCED MATERIALS 2010, 22(15), 1759.
- Qin P, Wiberg J, Gibson EA, Linder M, Li L, Brinck T, Hagfeldt A, Albinsson B, Sun LC. Synthesis and Mechanistic Studies of Organic Chromophores with Different Energy Levels for p-Type Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY C 2010, 114(10), 4738-4748.
- Gibson EA, Smeigh AL, LePleux L, Fortage J, Boschloo G, Blart E, Pellegrin Y, Odobel F, Hagfeldt A, Hammarstrom L. A p-Type NiO-Based Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell with an Open-Circuit Voltage of 0.35 V. ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION 2009, 48(24), 4402-4405.
- Cappel UB, Gibson EA, Hagfeldt A, Boschloo G. Dye Regeneration by Spiro-MeOTAD in Solid State Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells Studied by Photoinduced Absorption Spectroscopy and Spectroelectrochemistry. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY C 2009, 113(15), 6275-6281.