Professor Robert Upstill-Goddard
Professor of Marine Biogeochemistry
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5065
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 7891
My early studies concerned sediment–water solute exchange and the estuarine chemistry of the halogens and the rare earth elements (REEs). I subsequently developed an interest in climatically active trace-gas cycling and in quantifying air–sea gas exchange rates. I was part of a small team at The Marine Biological Association of the UK (later Plymouth Marine Laboratory) and the University of East Anglia that developed the so-called ‘dual-tracer technique’ for estimating gas transfer velocities at sea using sulphur hexafluoride and helium-3, a method now regarded as the ‘gold standard’ for measuring air–sea gas exchange rates on short timescales. My current work includes evaluating the environmental controls of air–sea gas transfer, especially the role of surfactants and the microbiology of the sea-surface microlayer, and the biogeochemical cycling and air–sea exchange of methane and nitrous oxide in estuaries and mangroves, on coastal shelves, and in the open ocean. I also maintain an interest in the role of terrestrial dissolved organic matter in marine trace gas and ‘available nitrogen’ photo-production. I have served on a number of UK and EU Committees, contributed to the European Nitrogen Assessment and the CARBOEUROPE report on greenhouse gas emissions from the European Coastal Zone. I am currently a member of two SCOR working groups: WG141 on Sea Surface Microlayers and WG143 on Establishing a methane and nitrous oxide global measurement network.
Roles and Responsibilities
School Director of Expertise: Ecosystem Change
Member: Faculty Research and Innovation Committee
Member: School Executive Board
Chair: Board of Examiners in BSc Marine Biology; BSc Marine Biology and Oceanography; BSc Marine Zoology
President Elect: Challenger Society for Marine Science
PhD University of Leeds 1985: Geochemistry of the halogens in the Tamar estuary
MSc University of Southampton 1981: Oceanography
BSc University of Lancaster 1979: Environmental Sciences
PGRF: MBA/Plymouth Marine Laboratory; 1987-1993
PGRF: University of East Anglia, Environmental Sciences; 1987-2001
PGRA: University of Cambridge, Earth Sciences; 1984-1987
Professional Scientific Societies:
MST1104: Marine Research Skills
MST2104: Marine Research and Employability Skills
MST2103: Marine Processes and Cycles
MST3103: Advanced Oceanography (Module Leader)
MST3104 Research Project: Marine Biology
MST3105 Research Project: Marine Zoology
MST3106 Research Project: Marine Biology and Oceanography
MST3107 Research Project Overseas
How important are marine systems, especially coastal systems, to the global cycles of climate-active trace gases such as carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, methane?
What factors control the air-sea gas exchange process and can we parameterise them in a robust way?
What roles do bacteria at the sea surface (the Bacterioneuston) play in air-sea trace gas exchange?
How do surfactants influence air-sea trace gas exchange, and can these surfactants be identified and quantified?
How reactive is Chromophoric Dissolved Organic Matter (CDOM) in coastal waters and what are the implications of this reactivity for global biogeochemical cycles?
2013-2017: RAGNARoCC: Radiatively active gases from the North Atlantic Region and Climate Change. (NERC: £125,657); part of a consortium proposal lead by the University of East Anglia (UEA) and also involving the University of Southampton, the National Oceanography Centre (NOC) and Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML). See also the Greenhouse gases UK homepage
2012-2015: What is the surfactant control of air-sea gas exchange across contrasting biogeochemical regimes? (Leverhulme Trust: £138,544). Research Associate: Dr Ryan Pereira.
2011-2013: Influence of offshore-onshore surfactant gradients on air-sea gas exchange: Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) Research Fellowship to Dr Klaus Schneider-Zapp (salary only).
Surfactant control of air-sea gas exchange in coastal waters (NERC: £49,940; 2011-2012:).
Source variability of WSOC in atmospheric precipitation (NERC: £45,114; 2010-2011).
Trace gases in Tropical Coastal zones (Leverhulme Trust: £124,887; 2006-2009).
DOGEE-SOLAS: The UK SOLAS Deep Ocean Gas Exchange Experiment (NERC: £134,654; 2005-2008).
D313 Cruise Report DOGEE-SOLAS: Nov-Dec 2006
D320 Cruise Report DOGEE-SOLAS: June-July 2007
The role of the bacterioneuston in the air-sea exchange of trace gases (NERC: £87,450; 2005-2008.). Find out more about International SOLAS Activities.
The Joint SOLAS Bergen Mesocosm Experiment(NERC: £11,569; 2008-2009). Read more about the Bergen Mesocosm Facility
Sources of methane to the coastal Arctic Ocean (NERC: £23,103; 2005-2006).
Atlantic Meridional Transect Programme (NERC:£47,601; 2001-2006).
The contribution to atmospheric methane from coastal marine sources NERC: £348,162; 2002-2005).
Nitrification, denitrification and nitrous oxide in Indian mangrove ecosystems (NERC: £274,524; 2002-2006)
The role of photo-ammonification and photochemical formation of phosphate in oligotrophic seas (NERC: CYCLOPS). Visit the CYCLOPS Website.
Completed research supervisons/co-supervisions
Susan Fitzer (PhD 2011) Sensitivity and Predicted Population Level Effects of CO2-induced Ocean Acidification in the Benthic Harpacticoid Copepod, Tisbe holothuriae.
Matt Salter (PhD 2010): DOGEE-SOLAS: The UKSOLAS Deep Ocean Gas Exchange Experiment.
Jenna Robinson (M.Phil 2010): Basin-scale variability of coloured dissolved organic matter photobleaching and photoreactivity.
Lynsay Watson (PhD 2010): Methanogenesis in a coastal estuarine environment: a combined molecular ecological and biogeochemical approach.
Louise Tizzard (PhD 2008): A GIS database of gassy sediments on the UK continental shelf.
Tassos Anestis (PhD 2008): Origins and transformations of inorganic and organic nitrogen in river-estuarine systems.
Julian Pillans (PhD 2007): Photochemical and photobiological controls of the marine sulphur cycle.
Grant Forster (PhD 2006): Nitrous oxide and methane in the Atlantic Ocean: transects from 52o S to 50o N during AMT.
Ibrahim Al-Ansari (PhD 2006). A hydrographic and biogeochemical study of waters and sediment of the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of Qatar (Arabian Gulf).
Robert Spencer (PhD 2005): Biogeochemistry of dissolved organic matter and inorganic nitrogen in two N.E. UK estuaries
Philip Percival (PhD 2004): Impacts of trawl fisheries on marine benthic biogeochemistry.
Pedro Watts-Rodrigues (PhD 2003): Modelling nitrous oxide production in two contrasting British estuaries: The Forth and the Tyne.
Jon Barnes (PhD 2003): Nitrous oxide in UK estuaries.
Vas Kitidis (PhD 2002): CDOM dynamics and photoammonification in the marine environment.
Aron P. Stubbins (PhD 2001): Aspects of aquatic CO photoproduction from CDOM.
Tom Frost (PhD 1999): Environmental controls of air-water gas exchange.
President Elect: Challenger Society For Marine Science
Member, Editorial Board: Journal of Marine Science and Engineering.
Invited member: SCOR (Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research) international working group on "Sea Surface Microlayers (WG 141)"; 2013 onward.
Invited member: SCOR (Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research) international working group on "Dissolved N2O and CH4 measurements: Working towards a global network of oceantime series measurements of N2O and CH4)"; 2013 onward
Invited contributor (2009) The European Nitrogen Assessment
Member(2009-2011) MethaneNet (NERC)
Invited contributing author: Treatise on Coastal and Estuarine Science
Member (since 2008): International Management Committee of EU COST (European cooperation in the field of scientific and technical research) Action 735: Tools for assessing global air-sea fluxes of climate and air pollution relevant gases
Member: COST (European cooperation in the field of scientific and technical research) Action 735: Tools for assessing global air-sea fluxes of climate and air pollution relevant gases. Working Group 3:Development of global flux estimates of long-lived climate relevant gases
Invited expert peer reviewer (2011-): European Research Council
Invited member of the CARBOEUROPE group of experts on greenhouse gas emissions to the atmosphere from the European Coastal Zone (European Commission DG Research - Vth Framework Programme: Key Action Global Change, Climate and Biodiversity).
Nominated co-convenor: "Gas Hydrates and the Role of Methane in the Marine Environment"; European Geosciences Union 1st General Assembly, Nice, France, April 2004
Member of the Scientific Committee of the 37th Liège Colloquium on Gas Transfer At Water Surfaces, Liège, Belgium, April 2005
Invited Speaker: International Symposium on Greenhouse Gas and Carbon Balances in Mangrove Coastal Ecosystems, Tsukuba, Japan, October 2005, and co editor of published conference proceedings
Invited Speaker: "Zero Carbon City"A global campaign by the British Council to raise awareness and stimulate debate around greenhouse gas emissions, climate change and energy challenges facing the world’s largest cities: Chennai, India, January 21-28, 2006
2013-2017: £125,657. NERC. RAGNARoCC: Radiatively active gases from the north Atlantic Refgion and Climate Change.
2012-2015: £138,544. Leverhulme Trust. What is the surfactant control of air-sea gas exchange across contrasting biogeochemical regimes?
2012-2015: £111,183. Leverhulme Trust. Is denitrification a nitrous oxide sink?
2011-2012: £49,940. NERC. Surfactant control of air-sea gas exchange.
2010-2011: £45,114. NERC. Source variability of WSOC in atmospheric precipitation.
2008-2009: £11,569. NERC. Joint SOLAS Bergen Mescosm.
2006-2009: £124,887. Leverhulme Trust: Trace gases in Mangroves.
2005-2008: £87,450. NERC. Bacterioneuston and trace gases.
2005-2008: £134,654. NERC. DOGEE-SOLAS:Air-Sea Gas Exchange.
2005-2006: £23,103. NERC. Arctic Methane.
2002-2006: £274,524. NERC. Nitrogen cycling in mangroves.
2002-2005: £7,804. NERC. Atlantic photochemistry.
2002-2005: £348,162. NERC. Coastal methane sources.
2001-2006: £47,601. NERC. Atlantic Meridional Transect.
1999-2002: £142,059. NERC. Photochemistry and dissolved nitrogen.
1999-2002: £36,460. NERC. Organic nitrogen cycling.
1999-2002: £217,126. NERC. Trace Gas Photoproduction.
1997-2000: £120,938. NERC: Role of the Bacterioneuston in the air-sea exchange of trace gases
1995-1997: £8,792. NERC. Thermal stability and air water gas exchange.
1995-1996: £74,151. NERC. Measuring dissolved sulphur gases in seawater.
1995-1996: £19,248. NERC. Invasive and evasive gas transfer.
- Wilson ST, Bange HW, Arévalo-Martínez D, Barnes J, Borges A, Brown I, Bullister J, Burgos M, Capelle DW, Casso M, delaPaz M, Farías L, Fenwick L, Ferrón S, Garcia G, Glockzin M, Karl DM, Kock A, Laperriere S, Law CS, Manning CC, Marriner A, Jukka-Pekka M, Pohlmann JW, Rees AP, Santoro AE, Torres M, Tortell PD, Wisegarver D, Upstill-Goddard RC, Zhang GL, Rehder G. An intercomparison of oceanic methane and nitrous oxide measurements. Biogeosciences Discussions 2018. Submitted.
- Pereira R, Ashton I, Sabbaghzadeh B, Shutler JD, Upstill-Goddard RC. Reduced air–sea CO2 exchange in the Atlantic Ocean due to biological surfactants. Nature Geoscience 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Barnes J, Upstill-Goddard RC. The denitrification paradox: The role of O2 in sediment N2O production. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 2018, 200, 270-276.
- Farias FG, Bogucki D, Sahlée E, Long D, Polito P, DeGrandpre M, Upstill-Goddard RC, Drennan W. Improved remote measurements of CO2 gas transfer velocities in the Northeast Atlantic Ocean. Geophysical Research Letters 2017. Submitted.
- Uher G, Pillans JJ, Hatton AD, Upstill-Goddard RC. Photochemical oxidation of dimethylsulphide to dimethylsulphoxide in estuarine and coastal waters. Chemosphere 2017, 186, 805-816.
- Engel A, Bange HW, Cunliffe M, Burrows SM, Freidrichs G, Galgani L, Herrmann H, Hertkorn N, Johnson M, Liss PS, Quinn PK, Schartau M, Soloviev A, Stolle S, Upstill-Goddard RC, van Pinxteren M, Zäncker B. The ocean’s vital skin:Towards an integrated understanding of the sea surface microlayer. Frontiers in Marine Science 2017, 4, 165.
- Sabbaghzadeh B, Upstill-Goddard RC, Beale R, Pereira R, Nightingale PD. The Atlantic Ocean surface microlayer from 50°N to 50°S is ubiquitously enriched in surfactants at wind speeds up to 13m s-1. Geophysical Research Letters 2017, 44(6), 2852-2858.
- Upstill-Goddard RC, Salter ME, Mann PJ, Barnes J, Poulsen JR, Dinga B, Fiske GJ, Holmes RM. The riverine source CH4 and N2O from the Republic of Congo, Western Congo Basin. Biogeosciences 2017, 14, 2267-2281.
- Pereira R, Schneider-Zapp K, Upstill-Goddard RC. Surfactant control of gas transfer velocity along an offshore coastal transect: results from a laboratory gas exchange tank. Biogeosciences 2016, 13(13), 3981-3989.
- Trimmer M, Chronopoulou PM, Maanoja ST, Upstill-Goddard RC, Kitidis V, Purdy KJ. Nitrous oxide as a function of oxygen and archaeal gene abundance in the North Pacific. Nature Communications 2016, 7, 13451.
- Upstill-Goddard RC, Barnes J. Methane emissions from UK estuaries: re-evaluating the estuarine source of tropospheric methane from Europe. Marine Chemistry 2016, 180, 14-23.
- Al-Ansari EM, Rowe G, Abdel-Moati MAR, Yigiterhan O, Al-Maslamani I, Al-Yafei MA, Al-Shaikh I, Upstill-Goddard R. Hypoxia in the central Arabian Gulf Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of Qatar during summer season. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 2015, 159, 60-68.
- Bakker DCE, Bange HW, Gruber N, Johannessen T, Upstill-Goddard RC, Borges AV, Delille B, Loscher CR, Naqvi SWA, Omar AM, Santana-Casiano M. Air-sea interactions of natural long-lived greenhouse gases (CO2, N2O, CH4) in a changing climate. In: Liss, P., Johnson, M, ed. Ocean-Atmosphere Interactions of Gases and Particles. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 2014, pp.113-169.
- Cunliffe M, Wurl O, Engel A, Frka S, Landing W, Latif MT, Yang G-P, Zappa C, Upstill-Goddard R, Gasparovic B, Lindroos A, Leal M, Vagle S, Ekau W, Stolle C, Soloviev A, Lass K. Guide to best practices to study the ocean's surface. Plymouth: Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, 2014. Occasional Publications of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom.
- Linto N, Barnes J, Ramesh R, Jennifer D, Purvaja R, Upstill-Goddard RC. Carbon dioxide and methane emissions from mangrove-associated waters of the Andaman Islands, Bay of Bengal. Estuaries and Coasts 2014, 37(2), 381-398.
- Schneider-Zapp K, Salter ME, Upstill-Goddard RC. An automated gas exchange tank for determining gas transfer velocities in natural seawater samples. Ocean Science 2014, 10, 587-600.
- Cunliffe M, Engel A, Frka S, Gasparovic B, Guitart C, Murrell JC, Salter S, Stolle C, Upstill-Goddard R, Wurl O. Sea surface microlayers: A unified physicochemical and biological perspective of the air–ocean interface. Progress in Oceanography 2013, 109, 104-116.
- Fitzer SC, Caldwell GS, Clare AS, Upstill-Goddard RC, Bentley MG. Response of copepods to elevated pCO2 and environmental copper as co-stressors – a multigenerational study. PLoS One 2013, 8(8), e71257.
- Land PE, Shutler JD, Cowling RD, Woolf DK, Walker P, Findlay HS, Upstill-Goddard RC, Donlan CJ. Climate change impacts on sea-air fluxes of CO2 in three Arctic seas: a sensitivity study using Earth observation. Biogeosciences 2013, 10(12), 8109-8128.
- Schneider-Zapp K, Salter ME, Mann PJ, Upstill-Goddard RC. Technical Note: Comparison of storage strategies for surface microlayer samples. Biogeosciences 2013, 10(7), 4927-4936.
- Fitzer S, Caldwell GS, Close AJ, Clare AS, Upstill-Goddard RC, Bentley MG. Ocean acidification induces multi-generational decline in copepod naupliar production with possible conflict for reproductive resource allocation. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 2012, 418-419, 30-36.
- Fitzer SC, Bishop JDD, Caldwell GS, Clare AS, Upstill-Goddard RC, Bentley MG. Visualisation of the copepod female reproductive system using confocal laser scanning microscopy and two-photon microscopy. Journal of Crustacean Biology 2012, 32(5), 685-692.
- Barnes J, Upstill-Goddard RC. N2O seasonal distributions and air-sea exchange in UK estuaries: Implications for the tropospheric N2O source from European coastal waters. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences 2011, 116(G1), G01006.
- Butterbach-Bahl K, Nemitz E, Zaehle S, Billen G, Boeckx P, Erisman JW, Garnier J, Upstill-Goddard R, Kreuzer M, Oenema O, Reis S, Schaap M, Simpson D, deVries W, Winiwarter W, Sutton MA. Nitrogen as a threat to the European greenhouse balance. In: Sutton, M.A., Howard, C.M., Erisman, J.W., Billen, G., Bleeker, A., Grennfelt, P., van Grinsven, H., Grizzetti, B, ed. The European Nitrogen Assessment. Sources, Effects and Policy Perspectives. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2011, pp.664.
- Cunliffe M, Upstill-Goddard RC, Murrell JC. Microbiology of aquatic surface microlayers. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 2011, 35(2), 233-246.
- Salter ME, Upstill-Goddard RC, Nightingale PD, Archer S, Blomquist B, Ho DT, Huebert B, Schlosser P, Yang M. Impact of an artificial surfactant release on air‐sea gas fluxes during Deep Ocean Gas Exchange Experiment II. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 2011, 116(C11), C11016.
- Stubbins A, Law CS, Uher G, Upstill-Goddard RC. Carbon monoxide apparent quantum yields and photoproduction in the Tyne estuary. Biogeosciences 2011, 8(3), 703-713.
- Upstill-Goddard RC. The Production of Trace Gases in the Estuarine and Coastal Environment. In: Wolanski, E., McLusky, D, ed. Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science. London: Academic Press, 2011, pp.271-309.
- Kitidis V, Upstill-Goddard RC, Anderson LG. Methane and nitrous oxide in surface water along the North-West Passage, Arctic Ocean. Marine Chemistry 2010, 121(1-4), 80-86.
- Bange HW, Bell TG, Cornejo M, Freing A, Uher G, Upstill-Goddard RC, Zhang G. MEMENTO: a proposal to develop a database of marine nitrous oxide and methane measurements. Environmental Chemistry 2009, 6(3), 195-197.
- Brooks IM, Yelland MJ, Upstill-Goddard RC, Nightingale PD, Archer S, D'Asaro E, Beale R, Beatty C, Blomquist B, Bloom AA, Brooks BJ, Cluderay J, Coles D, Dacey J, DeGrandpre M, Dixon J, Drennan WM, Gabriele J, Goldson L, Hardman-Mountford N, Hill MK, Horn M, Hsueh P, Huebert B, de Leeuw G, Leighton TG, Liddicoat M, Lingard JJN, McNeil C, McQuaid JB, Moat BI, Moore G, Neill C, Norris SJ, O'Doherty S, Pascal RW, Prytherch J, Rebozo M, Sahlee E, Salter M, Schuster U, Skjelvan I, Slagter H, Smith MH, Smith PD, Srokosz M, Stephens JA, Taylor PK, Telszewski M, Walsh R, Ward B, Woolf DK, Young D, Zemmelink H. Physical Exchanges at the Air-Sea Interface: UK-SOLAS Field Measurements. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 2009, 90(5), 629-644.
- Cunliffe M, Harrison E, Salter M, Schäfer H, Upstill-Goddard RC, Murrell JC. Comparison and validation of sampling strategies for the molecular microbial analysis of surface microlayers. Aquatic Microbial Ecology 2009, 57(1), 69-77.
- Brooks IM, Upstill-Goddard RC, Yelland MJ, Nightingale PD, Archer S, d'Asaro E, Beale R, Beatty C, Blomquist B, Bloom AA, Brooks BJ, Cluderay J, Coles D, Dacey J, Degrandpre M, Dixon J, Drennan WM, Gabriele J, Goldson L, Hardman-Mountford N, Hill MK, Horn M, Hsueh P-C, Huebert B, de Leeuw G, Leighton TG, Liddicoat M, Lingard JJN, McNeil C, McQuaid JB, Moat BI, Moore G, Neill C, Norris SJ, O'Doherty S, Pascal RW, Prytherch J, Rebozo M, Sahlee E, Salter M, Schuster U, Skjelvan I, Slagter H, Smith MH, Smith PD, Srokosz M, Stephens JA, Taylor PK, Telszewski M, Walsh R, Ward B, Woolf DK, Young D, Zemmelink H. Supplement to Physical Exchanges at the Air–Sea Interface: UK–SOLAS Field Measurements. Instrumentation. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 2009, 90(5), ES9-ES16.
- Cunliffe M, Salter ME, Mann PJ, Whiteley AS, Upstill-Goddard RC, Murrell JC. Dissolved organic carbon and bacterial populations in the gelatinous surface microlayer of a Norwegian fjord mesocosm. FEMS Microbiology Letters 2009, 299(2), 248-254.
- Forster GL, Upstill-Goddard RC, Gist N, Robinson R, Uher G, Woodward EMS. Nitrous oxide and methane in the Atlantic Ocean between 50˚N and 52˚S: latitudinal distribution and sea-to-air flux. Deep Sea Research II: Topical Studies in Oceanography 2009, 56(15), 964-976.
- Cunliffe M, Schafer H, Harrison E, Cleave S, Upstill-Goddard R, Murrell JC. Phylogenetic and functional gene analysis of the bacterial and archaeal communities associated with the surface microlayer of an estuary. ISME Journal 2008, 2(7), 776-789.
- Jickells TD, Liss PS, Broadgate W, Turner S, Kettle AJ, Read J, Baker J, Cardenas LM, Carse F, Hamren-Larssen M, Spokes L, Steinke M, Thompson A, Watson A, Archer SD, Bellerby RGJ, Law CS, Nightingale PD, Liddicoat MI, Widdicombe CE, Bowie A, Gilpin LC, Moncoiffe G, Savidge G, Preston T, Hadziabdic P, Frost T, Upstill-Goddard R, Pedros-Alio C, Simo R, Jackson A, Allen A, DeGrandpre MD. A Lagrangian biogeochemical study of an eddy in the Northeast Atlantic. Progress in Oceanography 2008, 76(3), 366-398.
- Kitidis V, Uher G, Woodward EMS, Owens NJP, Upstill-Goddard RC. Photochemical production and consumption of ammonium in a temperate river-sea system. Marine Chemistry 2008, 112(1-2), 118-127.
- Rajkumar AN, Barnes J, Ramesh R, Purvaja R, Upstill-Goddard RC. Methane and nitrous oxide fluxes in the polluted Adyar River and estuary, SE India. Marine Pollution Bulletin 2008, 56(12), 2043-2051.
- Stubbins A, Hubbard V, Uher G, Law CS, Upstill-Goddard RC, Aiken GR, Mopper K. Relating carbon monoxide photoproduction to dissolved organic matter functionality. Environmental Science and Technology 2008, 42(9), 3271-3276.
- Upstill-Goddard RC. Just a pipe dream? Could thousands of pipes in the oceans put an end to global warming?. Seafarer 2008, Spring 2008, 30.
- Upstill-Goddard RC, Barnes J, Ramesh R. Are mangroves a source or a sink for greenhouse gases?. In: Greenhouse Gas and Carbon Balances in Mangrove Coastal Ecosytems. 2007, Kanagawa, Japan: Gendai Tosho.
- Ramesh R, Purvaja R, Neetha V, Divia J, Barnes J, Upstill-Goddard RC. CO2 and CH4 emissions from Indian mangroves and surrounding waters. In: Greenhouse Gas and Carbon Balances in Mangrove Coastal Ecosytems. 2007, Kanagawa, Japan: Gendai Tosho.
- Spencer RGM, Baker A, Ahad JME, Cowie GL, Ganeshram R, Upstill-Goddard RC, Uher G. Discriminatory classification of natural and anthropogenic waters in two U.K. estuaries. Science of the Total Environment 2007, 373(1), 305-323.
- Barnes J, Purvaja R, Ramesh R, Uher G, Upstill-Goddard RC. Nitrous oxide fluxes in Indian Mangroves; tidal production mechanisms, fluxes and global significance. In: Greenhouse Gas and Carbon Balances in Mangrove Coastal Ecosytems. 2007, Kanagawa, Japan: Gendai Tosho.
- Rodrigues PPGW, Barnes J, Upstill-Goddard RC. Simulating estuarine nitrous oxide production by means of a dynamic model. Marine Pollution Bulletin 2007, 54(2), 164-172.
- Kitidis V, Tizzard L, Uher G, Judd A, Upstill-Goddard RC, Head IM, Gray ND, Taylor G, Duran R, Diez R, Iglesias J, Garcia-Gil S. The biogeochemical cycling of methane in Ria de Vigo, NW Spain: Sediment processing and sea-air exchange. Journal of Marine Systems 2007, 66(1-4), 258-271.
- Spencer RGM, Ahad JME, Baker A, Cowie GL, Ganeshram R, Upstill-Goddard RC, Uher G. The estuarine mixing behaviour of peatland derived dissolved organic carbon and its relationship to chromophoric dissolved organic matter in two North Sea estuaries (U.K.). Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 2007, 74(1-2), 131-144.
- Upstill-Goddard RC. Air-sea gas exchange in the coastal zone. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 2006, 70(3), 388-404.
- Ahad JME, Ganeshram RS, Spencer RGM, Uher G, Upstill-Goddard RC, Cowie GL. Evaluating the sources and fate of anthropogenic dissolved inorganic nitrogen (DIN) in two contrasting North Sea estuaries. Science of the Total Environment 2006, 372(1), 317-333.
- Stubbins AP, Uher G, Law CS, Mopper K, Robinson C, Upstill-Goddard RC. Open Ocean Carbon Monoxide Photoproduction. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography 2006, 53(14-16), 1695-1705.
- Kitidis V, Stubbins AP, Uher G, Upstill-Goddard RC, Law CS, Woodward EMS. Variability of chromophoric organic matter in surface waters of the Atlantic Ocean. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography 2006, 53(14-16), 1666-1684.
- Kitidis V, Uher G, Upstill-Goddard RC, Mantoura RFC, Spyres G, Woodward EMS. Photochemical production of ammonium in the oligotrophic Cyprus Gyre (Eastern Mediterranean). Biogeosciences 2006, 3(4), 439-449.
- Robinson C, Poulton AJ, Holligan PM, Baker AR, Forster G, Gist N, Jickells TD, Malin G, Upstill-Goddard RC, Williams RG, Woodward EMS, Zubkov MV. The Atlantic Meridional Transect (AMT) Programme: a contextual view 1995 – 2005. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography 2006, 53(14-16), 1485-1515.
- Stubbins AP, Uher G, Kitidis V, Law CS, Upstill-Goddard RC, Woodward EMS. The Open Ocean Source of Atmospheric Carbon Monoxide. Deep-Sea Research II 2006, 53(14-16), 1685-1694.
- Barnes J, Ramesh R, Purvaja R, Rajkumar AN, Kumar BS, Krithika K, Ravichandran K, Uher G, Upstill-Goddard R. Tidal dynamics and rainfall control N2O and CH4 emissions from a pristine mangrove creek. Geophysical Research Letters 2006, 33(15), L15405.
- Franklin MP, McDonald IR, Bourne DG, Owens NJP, Upstill-Goddard RC, Murrell JC. Bacterial diversity in the bacterioneuston (sea surface microlayer): The bacterioneuston through the looking glass. Environmental Microbiology 2005, 7(5), 723-736.
- Naqvi SWA, Bange HW, Gibb SW, Goyet C, Hatton AD, Upstill-Goddard RC. Biogeochemical ocean-atmosphere transfers in the Arabian Sea. Progress in Oceanography 2005, 65(2-4), 116-144.
- Percival P, Frid C, Upstill-Goddard R. The Impact of Trawling on Benthic Nutrient Dynamics in the North Sea: Implications of Laboratory Experiments. In: Barnes, P.W., James, P.T, ed. Benthic Habitats and the Effects of Fishing. Bethesda, Maryland, USA: American Fisheries Society, 2005.
- Upstill-Goddard RC. The role of the oceans in the global cycles of climatically-active trace-gases. In: Lehr, J.H., Keeley, J, ed. Encyclopedia of Water. Hoboken, New Jersey, USA: John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- Upstill-Goddard RC, Frost T, Henry GR, Franklin M, Murrell JC, Owens NJP. Bacterioneuston control of air-water methane exchange determined with a laboratory gas exchange tank. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 2003, 17(4), 19-1.
- Truesdale VW, Upstill-Goddard R. Dissolved iodate and total iodine along the British east coast. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 2003, 56(2), 261-270.
- Oost W, Jacobs CMJ, Kohsiek W, Goosens G, van der Horn J, Sprung D, Rapsomanikis S, Kenntner T, Reiner T, Bowyer P, Larsen S, de Leeuw G, Kunz G, Hall A, Liss P, Malin G, Upstill-Goddard RC, Woolf D, Graham A, Nightingale PD, Fairall C, Hare J, Dissly R, Tans P, Anderson R, Smith S. ASGAMAGE, the Air-Sea Gas Exchange/MAGE Experiment. In: Donelan, M.A., Drennan, W.M., Saltzman, E.S., Wanninkhof, R, ed. Gas Transfer At Water Surfaces. Washington, DC, USA: American Geophysical Union, 2002, pp.219-223.
- Jacobs CMJ, Nightingale PD, Upstill-Goddard RC, Kjeld JF, Larsen S, Oost W. Comparison of the Deliberate Tracer Method and Eddy Covariance Measurements to Determine the Air/Sea Transfer Velocity of CO2. In: Donelan, M.A., Drennan, W.M., Saltzman, E.S., Wanninkhof, R, ed. Gas Transfer At Water Surfaces. Washington, DC, USA: American Geophysical Union, 2002, pp.225-231.
- Frost T, Upstill-Goddard RC. Meteorological controls of gas exchange at a small English lake. Limnology and Oceanography 2002, 47(4), 1165-1174.
- Jacobs C, Kjeld JF, Nightingale P, Upstill-Goddard R, Larsen S, Oost W. Possible errors in CO2 air-sea transfer velocity from deliberate tracer releases and eddy covariance measurements due to near-surface concentration gradients. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 2002, 107(C9), 3128.
- Bange HW, Andreae MO, Lal S, Law CS, Naqvi SWA, Patra PK, Rixen T, Upstill-Goddard RC. Nitrous oxide emissions from the Arabian Sea: A synthesis. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 2001, 1(1), 61-71.
- Uher G, Hughes C, Henry G, Upstill-Goddard RC. Non-conservative mixing behavior of colored dissolved organic matter in a humic-rich, turbid estuary. Geophysical Research Letters 2001, 28(17), 3309-3312.
- Upstill-Goddard RC, Suijlen JM, Malin J, Nightingale PD. The use of photolytic rhodamines WT and sulpho G as conservative tracers of dispersion in surface waters. Limnology and Oceanography 2001, 46(4), 927-934.
- Nightingale PD, Malin G, Law CS, Watson AJ, Liss PS, Liddicoat MI, Boutin J, Upstill-Goddard RC. In situ evaluation of air-sea gas exchange parameterizations using novel conservative and volatile tracers. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 2000, 14(1), 373-387.
- Upstill-Goddard RC, Barnes J, Frost T, Punshon S, Owens NJP. Methane in the southern North Sea: Low-salinity inputs, estuarine removal, and atmospheric flux. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 2000, 14(4), 1205-1217.
- Frost T, Upstill-Goddard RC. Air-sea gas exchange into the millennium: Progress and uncertainties. Oceanography and Marine Biology: an Annual Review Series 1999, 37, 1-45.
- Upstill-Goddard RC, Barnes J, Owens NJP. Nitrous oxide and methane during the 1994 SW monsoon in the Arabian Sea/northwestern Indian Ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research - Oceans 1999, 104(C12), 30067-30084.
- Rees, A.P., Owens, N.J.P. and Upstill-Goddard, R.C. Nitrous oxide in the Bellingshausen sea and Drake Passage. Journal of Geophysical Research 1997, 102, 3383-3391.
- Upstill-Goddard, R.C., Rees, A.P. and Owens, N.J.P. Simultaneous high-precision measurements of methane and nitrous oxide in water and seawater by single-phase equilibration gas chromatography. Deep Sea Research 1996, 43, 1669-1682.
- Upstill-Goddard, R.C. and Wilkins, C.S. The potential of SF6 as a geothermal tracer. Water Research 1995, 29, 1065-1068.
- Liss, P. S., Watson, A. J., Liddicoat, M.I., Malin, G., Nightingale, P.D., Turner, S.M. and Upstill-Goddard, R.C. Trace gases and air-sea exchanges. In: Understanding the North Sea system (eds. H. Charnock, K.R. Dyer, J. M. Huthnance, P.S. Liss, J.H. Simpson and P.B. Tett) 1994, Chapman and Hall, London, 153-164.
- Upstill-Goddard, R.C., Watson, A. J. and Liss, P.S. The gas transfer velocity-windspeed relationship at Siblyback Lake. A reply to comments by Kwan and Taylor. Tellus 1993, 45B, 229-300.
- Liss, P.S., Watson, A.J., Liddicoat, M.I., Malin, G., Nightingale, P.D., Turner, S.M. and Upstill-Goddard, R.C. Trace gases and air-sea exchanges. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A 1993, 343, 531-541.
- Watson, A.J., Upstill-Goddard, R.C. and Liss, P.S. Air-sea gas exchange in rough and stormy seas measured by a dual tracer technique. Nature 1991, 349, 145-147.
- Upstill-Goddard, R.C., Watson, A.J., Wood, J. and Liddicoat, M.I. Sulphur hexafluoride and helium-3 as seawater tracers: deployment techniques and continuous underway analysis for sulphur hexafluoride. Analytica Chimica Acta 1991, 249, 555-562.
- Upstill-Goddard, R.C., Watson, A.J., Liss, P.S. and Liddicoat, M.I. Gas transfer velocities in lakes measured with SF6. Tellus 1990, 42B, 364-377.
- Elderfield, H., Upstill-Goddard, R. and Sholkovitz, E.R. The rare earth elements in rivers, estuaries, and coastal seas and their significance to the composition of ocean waters. Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta 1990, 54, 971-991.
- Upstill-Goddard, R.C., Alexander, W.R., Elderfield, H. and Whitfield, M. Chemical diagenesis in the Tamar estuary. Contributions to Sedimentology 1989, 16, 1-49.
- Upstill-Goddard, R.C. and Elderfield, H. The role of diagenesis in the estuarine budgets of iodine and bromine. Continental Shelf Research 8 1988, 8, 405-430.