Dr Catherine Gandy
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4872
- Address: School of Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
Studied for a PhD within the Hydrogeochemical Engineering Research and Outreach (HERO) Group in the School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences at Newcastle and became a Research Associate within the same group in 2002. Her main research interests focus on mine water pollution, prinicpally the remediation of metal mine discharges, and the source, transport and fate of metals on a river catchment scale. She also has interests in hydrogeology, groundwater and hydrogeochemcial modelling, coupled groundwater flow and heat transport modelling, ground source heat and object-oriented programming.
Roles and Responsibilities
Module leader for SPG8002 Renewable Energy: Photovoltaics and Geothermal Energy (Reflex MSc)
PhD "Modelling pyrite oxidation and pollutant transport in mine wastes using an object-oriented particle tracking code" (Newcastle University, 2003)
MSc Water Resource Systems Engineering (Newcastle University, 1998)
BSc Geology (Durham University, 1997)
Undertaken a range of consultancy work for national and international organisations including Solid Energy New Zealand Ltd, UK Coal Ltd, Maltby Colliery Ltd, Sherburn Stone Co Ltd, EasiGeothermal Ltd, Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT)
Gandy CJ, Younger PL (2005) Predictive modelling of dewatering and wetland creation at Low Harperley. Report to Sherburn Stone Co Ltd
Gandy, CJ, Kilsby CG, Valentine EM, Younger PL (2005) Investigation of proposed lake and fountain at Middleton Lodge. Report to Sherburn Stone Co Ltd
Gandy CJ, Younger PL (2006) Groundwater rebound in the South Yorkshire Coalfield: application of GRAM. Report to UK Coal Ltd
Gandy CJ, Younger PL (2007) Predictive modelling of waste rock leaching at Stockton Mine. Report to Solid Energy NZ Ltd
Gandy, CJ (2010) Desk study of geology around Washington Wetland Centre. Report to Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust
Gandy CJ, Younger PL (2011) Groundwater rebound in the South Yorkshire Coalfield: update. Report to Maltby Colliery Ltd
Mine water pollution, prinicpally the remediation of metal mine discharges, and the source, transport and fate of metals on a river catchment scale.
Hydrogeology, groundwater and hydrogeochemcial modelling, coupled groundwater flow and heat transport modelling, ground source heat and object-oriented programming.
Second supervisor to PhD student studying hydraulic residence time in passive mine water treatment systems (completed 2011)
Part supervisor to PhD student studying the sources, fate and dynamics of abandoned metal mine water pollutants (completed 2012)
Second supervisor to PhD student studying the resource potential of abandoned mine sites and of mine waters (completed 2016)
Second supervisor to PhD student studying the source, transport and fate of rare earth elements (REE) in UK mining districts (2014 - present)
Guest editor of a special issue of the Journal "Mine Water and the Environment" on mine water rebound
Guest editor of a special issue of the Journal "Environmental Geology" on "Risk of Subsidence due to Evaporite Dissolution" (ROSES)
Coal Authority - Non coal mine water pollution programme
EPSRC - UK Collaboratorium for Research on Infrastructure and Cities (UKCRIC)
SPG8002 'Renewable Energy: Photovoltaics and Geothermal Energy' (50% and module leader)
CEG8106 Groundwater Contamination and Remediation
- Bailey MT, Gandy CJ, Watson IA, Wyatt LM, Jarvis AP. Heat recovery potential of mine water treatment systems in Great Britain. International Journal of Coal Geology 2016, 164, 77-84.
- Gandy CJ, Davis JE, Orme PHA, Potter HAB, Jarvis AP. Metal removal mechanisms in a short hydraulic residence time subsurface flow compost wetland for mine drainage treatment. Ecological Engineering 2016, 97, 179-185.
- Bailey M, Jarvis A, Gandy C. Characterization of passive treatment system substrates and potential for zinc recovery. In: 10th International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage & IMWA Annual Conference. 2015, Santiago, Chile.
- Jarvis AP, Gandy CJ, Bailey MT, Davis JE, Orme PHA, Malley J, Potter HAB, Moorhouse AML. Metal removal and secondary contamination in a passive metal mine drainage treatment system. In: 10th International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage & IMWA Annual Conference. 2015, Santiago, Chile.
- Mayes WM, Anton AD, Thomas C, Potter HAB, Rudall S, Amezaga JM, Gandy CJ, Jarvis AP. National assessment of diffuse mining pollution in England and Wales. In: 10th International Conference on Acid Rock Drainage & IMWA Annual Conference. 2015, Santiago, Chile.
- Amezaga JM, Amtmann A, Biggs CA, Bond T, Gandy CJ, Honsbein A, Karunakaran E, Lawton L, Madsen MA, Minas K, Templeton MR. Biodesalination: a case study for applications of photosynthetic bacteria in water treatment. Plant Physiology 2014, 164(4), 1661-1676.
- Honsbein A, Madsen MA, Amezaga JM, Biggs CA, Bond T, Gandy CJ, Karunakaran E, Lawton L, Minas K, Templeton MR, Amtmann A. 'Biodesalination': a synthetic biology approach for the use of photosynthetic bacteria in water treatment. In: 16th European Congress on Biotechnology. 2014, Edinburgh, UK: Elsevier.
- Minas K, Karunakaran E, Bond T, Gandy C, Honsbein A, Madsen M, Amezaga J, Amtmann A, Templeton MR, Biggs CA, Lawton L. Biodesalination: an emerging technology for targeted removal of Na+ and Cl- from seawater by cyanobacteria. Desalination and Water Treatment 2014, 55(10), 2647-2668.
- Kusin F, Jarvis A, Gandy C. Hydraulic Performance and Iron Removal in Wetlands and Lagoons Treating Ferruginous Coal Mine Waters. Wetlands 2014, 34(3), 555-564.
- Jarvis AP, Davis JE, Gray ND, Orme PHA, Gandy CJ. Mitigation of pollution from abandoned metal mines: Investigation of passive compost bioreactor systems for treatment of abandoned metal mine discharges. Environment Agency Science Report SC090024/R3 2014, 1-98.
- Kusin FM, Jarvis AP, Gandy CJ. Hydraulic performance assessment of passive coal mine water treatment systems in the UK. Ecological Engineering 2012, 49, 233-243.
- Jarvis AP, Gandy CJ, Gray ND. Mitigation of pollution from abandoned metal mines Part 1: Review of passive treatment technologies for metal mine drainage remediation. Bristol: Environment Agency, 2012. Environment Agency Science Report SC090024/R1.
- Gray ND, Gandy CJ, Jarvis AP. Mitigation of pollution from abandoned metal mines Part 2: Review of resource recovery options from the passive remediation of metal-rich mine waters. Bristol: Environment Agency, 2012. Environment Agency Science Report SC090024/R2.
- Gandy CJ, Jarvis AP. The influence of engineering scale and environmental conditions on the performance of compost bioreactors for the remediation of zinc in mine water discharges. Mine Water and the Environment 2012, 31(2), 82-91.
- Kusin FM, Jarvis AP, Gandy CJ. Hydraulic residence time and iron removal in a wetland receiving ferruginous mine water over a 4 year period from commissioning. Water Science and Technology 2010, 62(8), 1937-1946.
- Gandy CJ, Clarke L, Banks D, Younger PL. Predictive modelling of groundwater abstraction and artificial recharge of cooling water. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology 2010, 43(3), 279-288.
- Banks D, Gandy CJ, Younger PL, Withers J, Underwood C. Anthropogenic thermogeological 'anomaly' in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, UK. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology 2009, 42(3), 307-312.
- Gandy CJ, Younger PL. Predicting long-term contamination potential of perched groundwater in a mine-waste heap using a random-walk method. Hydrogeology Journal 2008, 16(3), 447-459.
- Gandy CJ, Younger PL. An object-oriented particle tracking code for pyrite oxidation and pollutant transport in mine spoil heaps. Journal of Hydroinformatics 2007, 9(4), 293-304.
- Gandy CJ, Smith JWN, Jarvis AP. Attenuation of mining-derived pollutants in the hyporheic zone: A review. Science of the Total Environment 2007, 373(2-3), 435-446.
- Gandy CJ, Younger PL. Predicting groundwater rebound in the South Yorkshire Coalfield, UK. Mine Water and the Environment 2007, 26(2), 70-78.
- Younger PL, Lamont-Black J, Gandy CJ. "Risk of subsidence due to evaporite solution" (ROSES) - Introduction to a Special Issue of Environmental Geology. Environmental Geology 2005, 48(3), 285-286.
- Gandy CJ, Younger PL. Effect of a clay cap on oxidation of pyrite within mine spoil. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology 2003, 36(3), 207-215.
- Evans KA, Gandy CJ, Banwart SA. Mineralogical, numerical and analytical studies of the coupled oxidation of pyrite and coal. Mineralogical Magazine 2003, 67(2), 381-398.
- Gandy CJ, Evans KA. Laboratory and numerical modelling studies of iron release from a spoil heap in County Durham. Geological Society, London, Special Publications 2002, 198, 205-214.