Dr David Greenwood
Senior Research Associate
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3586
I am an engineering researcher with a particular interest in power networks, smart girds, energy storage, probabilistic methods and the effect of weather on electrical systems. My PhD, completed in July 2014, focused on the Real-Time Thermal Rating of overhead lines in electrical networks. My PhD was industrially funded, which meant that in addition to my PhD research I had to organise meetings, write reports and give frequent presentations to industrial partners. I had to work with my sponsors to ensure that I was delivering research that was useful to them, as well as original research required for a PhD. I have been fortunate enough to present my work in France, Denmark, Zambia, Sweden and the USA.
I am currently working on several projects relating to energy storage and smart grids:
Supergen Leaders: Energy Networks (EPSRC) - I am part of a team, lead by Professor Phil Taylor, developing the next generation of the Supergen Energy Networks Hub. I have been consulting the research community, engaging with industry and early career researchers, and helping to set the research direction in energy networks for the next four years.
Energy Storage for Low Carbon Grids (EPSRC) – I am investigating the relationship between scheduling and high-level control of energy storage systems, and the degradation and efficiency of different storage technologies. This work is on a range of timescales from minute-by-minute operation, to the lifetime of a battery which could be 10 years or more.
- Greenwood DM, Lim KY, Patsios C, Lyons PF, Taylor PC, Lim YS. Frequency Response Services Designed for Energy Storage. Applied Energy 2017, 203, 115-127.
- Greenwood DM, Wade NS, Papadopoulos P, Heyward N, Taylor PC. A Probabilistic Method combining Electrical Energy Storage and Real-Time Thermal Ratings to defer Network Reinforcement. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy 2017, 8(1), 374-384.
- Greenwood DM, Taylor PC. Investigating the Impact of Real-Time Thermal Ratings on Power Network Reliability. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 2014, 29(5), 2640-2468.
- Greenwood DM, Ingram GL, Taylor PC. Applying wind simulations for planning and operation of Real-Time Thermal Ratings. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 2015, (99), 1-11.
- Greenwood DM, Taylor PC. Unlocking the Benefits of Real-Time Thermal Ratings through Probabilistic Power Network Planning. IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution 2014, 8(12), 2055-2064.
- Greenwood DM, Gentle JP, Myers KS, Davison PJ, West IJ, Bush JW, Ingram GL, Troffaes MCM. A Comparison of Real-Time Thermal Rating Systems in the U.S. and the U.K. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery 2014, 29(4), 1849-1858.
- Blake SR, Davison PJ, Greenwood DM, Wade NS. Climate change risks in electricity networks. Infrastructure Asset Management 2015, 2(2), 42-51.
- Boait P, Gammon R, Advani V, Wade N, Greenwood D, Davison P. ESCoBox: A Set of Tools for Mini-Grid Sustainability in the Developing World. Sustainability 2017, 9(5), 1-15.
- Tavner PJ, Greenwood DM, Whittle MWG, Gindele R, Faulstich S, Hahn B. Study of weather and location effects on wind turbine failure rates. Wind Energy 2013, 16(2), 175-187.
- Greenwood DM, Wade NS, Taylor PC, Papadopoulos P, Heyward N, Alilat S. A Forecasting, Optimization and Scheduling System for Energy Storage Systems in Distribution Networks. In: IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting 2016. 2016, Boston, MA, USA: IEEE Power and Energy Society.
- Greenwood DM, Davison PJ, Duby S, Wade NS. Methods and Applications for Electricity Demand Disaggregation in Developing Countries. In: IEEE PES PowerAfrica 2016. 2016, Livingstone, Zambia: IEEE.
- Greenwood DM, Wade NS. Recent work contributed by Newcastle University for SDRC9.8 of the Smarter Network Storage Project. Newcastle upon Tyne: Newcastle University, 2016.
- Davison PJ, Greenwood DM, Wade NS. Data mining of remote monitored stand–alone Solar PV Systems for State of Health Estimation. In: IEEE PES PowerAfrica. 2016, Livingstone, Zambia: IEEE.
- Greenwood DM, Wade NS, Heyward N, Mehta P, Papadopoulos P, Taylor PC. Scheduling power and energy resources in the Smarter Network Storage project. In: CIRED 23rd International Conference and Exhibition on Electricity Distribution. 2015, Lyon, France: IET.
- Greenwood D, Ingram G, Taylor PC. Network Planning Case Study Utilising Real-Time Thermal Ratings and Computational Fluid Dynamics. In: 22nd International Conference on Electricity Distribution (CIRED 2013). 2013, Stockholm, Sweden: IEEE.
- Taylor P, Patsios C, Munoz-Vaca S, Greenwood D, Wade N. Energy Storage Integration. In: Letcher, TM, ed. Storing Energy: With Special Reference to Renewable Energy Sources. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Elsevier, 2016, pp.433-476.
- Deepak M, Abraham RJ, Gonzalez-Longatt FM, Greenwood DM, Rajamani H-S. A novel approach to frequency support in a wind integrated power system. Renewable Energy 2017, 108, 194-206.
- Greenwood D, Wade N, Davison P, Taylor P, Papadopoulos P. Combining Energy Storage and Real-Time Thermal Ratings to Solve Distribution Network Problems: Benefits and Challenges. In: 24th International Conference on Electricity Distribution. 2017, Glasgow: CIRED.