Dr Henny Mills
Senior Geomatics Teaching Associate
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5042
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6502
- Address: School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
Since September 2014, I am the Degree Programme Director for Surveying and Mapping Science and Geographic Information Science.
I teach on a variety of module, ranging from surveying, BIM, photogrammetry and fieldcourses.
I also look after any equipment and software related to the former three subjects. Additionally, I am Lead the School's PEARL project - (Pioneering Education: Advanced Resource for Learning) - introducing mobile device based teaching and learning.
Degree of Doctor of Philosophy, Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
PhD title: ‘The Potential of High Spatial Resolution Remote Sensing for Mapping Upland Vegetation using Advanced Classification Methods’
June 2005 , University of Newcastle, UK
Diplom-Ingenieur (Equivalent to MSc) of Geodesy of the University of Technology of Dresden, June 2001
English, German and Russian (basic)
My main areas of expertise related to research are:
- Remote Sensing, in particular Artificial Neural Networks and Support Vector Machines for the processing of high spatial resolution imagery
I am currently concentratin on teaching activities, such as e-learning and modern pedagic learning approaches.
CEG1701 - Geomatics Fieldcourse
CEG1703 - Surveying
CEG2701 - Digital Surveying for Geomatics
CEG2721 - BIM and Spatial Informatics
CEG3702 - Advanced Survey fieldcourse
as well as: :
CEG1709- Engineering Surveying
CEG2708 - Photogrammetry and Laser Scanning I
CEG2712 - Engineering Surveying II
CEG3706 - Photogrammetry and Laser Scanning II
as well as available for
CEG2710 - GPS Theory and Practice
CEG2703 - Observation Processing and Analysis
- Mills H, Cutler MEJ, Fairbairn D. Artificial neural networks for mapping regional-scale upland vegetation from high spatial resolution imagery. International Journal of Remote Sensing 2006, 27(11), 2177-2195.
- Bramald T, Mills H, Mills J, Edwards S. Recruitment, retention and progression of Geomatics undergraduates at Newcastle University. Austrian Journal for Surveying and Geoinformation 2009, 97(1).
- Spatar C, Penna N, Mills H, Kutija V, Cooke M. A robust approach for mapping group marks to individual marks using peer assessment. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education 2015, 40(3), 371-389.
- Mills H. Mobile Devices for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. In: 14th European Conference on e-Learning ECEL 2015. 2015, Hatfield, UK: ACPI, UK.
- Mills H. Use of mobile devices for e-learning in Geomatics. In: ISPRS WG VI/1, WG VI/2 and WG VI/3: ISPRS Workshop of Commission VI 1-3, Advances in Web-Based Education Services. 2015, Berlin, Germany: International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences - ISPRS Archives, v 40, n 6W1, p 5-8, May 27, 2015.