Professor Stefano Utili
Professor of Geotechnical Engineering, Academic Parliamentary Fellow at POST, Adviser for the Science & Technology Committee of the House of Commons
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6414
- Address: Drummond Building, Room 1.05,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
Laurea (equivalent to MEng, Politecnico di Milano, It), MSc (Chalmers University, Sweden), PhD (Politecnico di Milano), CEng FICE FGS, Eur Ing
His first degree was in Structural Engineering followed by a doctorate in Geotechnical Engineering. Prior to being appointed at Newcastle University he was Lecturer at the University of Oxford (2008-11) and Associate Professor at University of Warwick (2011-16).
- Full Member of the EPSRC College of Reviewers
- Editorial Board Member of Engineering Geology
- Editorial Board Member of Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering
- Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers (FICE).
- Fellow of the Geological Society of London (FGS).
- Member of International Technical Committee TC105 of the ISSMGE
- Member of International Technical Committee TC208 of the ISSMGE
- Member of the British Geotechnical Association.
- European Engineer, FEANI member.
- Sept 2016 - Professor of Geotechnical Engineering at Newcastle University
- Feb 2016 to Aug 2016: full Professor at University of Warwick
- October 2011 to Feb 2016: Associate Professor at University of Warwick.
- October 2008 to September 2011: Departmental Lecturer at University of Oxford and Tutor at St Anne's College .
- November 2006 to October 2008: Post-doctoral Research Fellow (grade 7) in the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Strathclyde (Glasgow, UK).
- May 2005 to October 2006: senior engineer at SnamReteGas (ENI group, national oil and gas company), San Donato Milanese (Italy)
- April 2004 to April 2005: technical office responsible at GL Locatelli Srl, Turate (Italy)
- March 2001 to April 2004: PhD student at Politecnico di Milano, Milano (Italy).
- 2004: PhD in Geotechnical Engineering, with distinction, Politecnico di Milano, Milano (Italy)
- 2001: M.Sc. in Structural Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Goteborg (Sweden)
- 2000: Laurea (MEng) in Civil Engineering (5 years degree), summa cum laude, Politecnico di Milano, Milano (Italy)
Guest Editor of the following Special Issues:
- 'Monitoring, physical and numerical modeling of landslides and debris flows' in Engineering Geology (2017), volume 219;
- 'Landslides and Geophysical Investigations: Advantages and Limitations' in International Journal of Geophysics forthcoming (2018);
- 'Mega Engineering Projects in Challenging Geological Environments – A Modern Perspective' in Engineering Geology forthcoming (2018);
The bulk of my research is about reducing the impact of landslides and slope instabilities on engineering infrastructure and the built environment. The increasing threat of natural hazards due to the expanding size of cities, growing use of infrastructure, and the effect of increased climatic variations means that the economic losses induced by geohazards keep increasing so engineering solutions able to provide a step change in the way we tackle landslides are urgently needed.
My main research interests are as follows:
- Numerical and experimental modelling of the initiation of landslides and subsequent debris flows under various load and climatic conditions.
- Development of analytical solutions based on limit analysis to assess the stability of slopes
- Development of the Discrete Element Method for non -spherical particles (e.g. sand grains) and the simulation of engineering problems in rock mechanics such as tunnelling in jointed rock masses and the stability of rock slopes
- Investigation of the behaviour of sands and cemented soils (e.g. lunar soil,
methane hydrate bearing sands) via the Discrete Element Method for constitutive modelling purposes.
My research group
PhD candidates are welcome to contact me to apply for a thesis in one of the mentioned areas or to propose their own research theme.
Current PhD students
The list of my current PhD students is in chronological order of start date. Links to their individual profiles are provided:
Past PhD students
Graduated in 2013, Chia Weng Boon has been awarded the Rocha Medal 2016 for the best PhD thesis in Rock Mechanics. This award is conferred to the best PhD selected among a worldwide pool of theses. Further details are available at https://www.isrm.net/fotos/noticias/NewsReleaseCouncil15_A4.pdf. Currently Dr Boon is working in a private company in Singapore as specialist geotechnical engineer for projects involving undeground excavations in rock.
Graduated in 2013, Chiara Modenese currently works at Atkins Global.
Graduated in 2014, Tao Zhao currently is an Associate Professor at Sichuan University (Chengdu, China).
Graduated in March 2015, Kovthaman Murugaratnam currently works in industry.
Graduated in July 2015, Giulia Macaro currently works at Atkins Global.
Graduated in May 2016 Weigao Wu currently works as geotechnical engineer in China.
Graduated in January 2017, Chrysoula Vulgari currently works at Atkins as geotechnical engineer.
Graduated in August 2017, Akram Abd currently is a lecturer at Tikrit University (Tikrit, Iraq).
Dr Maria Lazari
Dr Prashanth Vangla now at IISC (Bangalore, India)
Dr Anitha Kumari now at IISC (Bangalore, India)
Dr Giuseppe Dattola is now working at Universita Milano Bicocca.
Dr Irene Redaelli is now a Post-doc at Politecnico di Milano.
April 2018 - March 2022:
Co-I (Newcastle lead) in “towards geoHazards rEsilient infRastruCtUre under changing cLimatES” EU H2020 RISE. Total sum of the project 2.372 € million (EU funds for €2,016,000). The academic partners involved in the exchange are: University of Warwick (coordinator), Newcastle University, RWTH-Aachen University (Aachen, Germany), University of Natural Resources & Life Sciences (Vienna, Austria), Istituto di Ricerca per la Protezione Idrogeologica di Torino (Turin, Italy), Eurac Research centre (Bolzano, Italy), Arup Italia Srl (Milan, Italy), Zhejiang University (Hangzhou, China), University of San Simon (Cochabamba, Bolivia), Nazerbayev University (Astana, Kazakstan), The University of Newcastle (Newcastle, Australia).
March 2018 - February 2019: £60,000 EPSRC IAA secondment at the Select Committee on Science and Technology House of Commons for project 'Does the UK need EU funding to remain a world-leader in scientific research and innovation? An analysis of the impact of EU vs UK funding on UK Research and Development.'
April 2015 - March 2019:
Coordinator for “Geohazards risk assessment, mitigation and prevention” EU H2020 RISE. Total sum of the project 2.147 € million (EU funds for €1,804,500). The academic partners involved in the exchange are: University of Warwick, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble (Grenoble, France), Universidad Politecnica Catalunya (Barcelona, Spain), University of Natural Resources & Life Sciences (Vienna, Austria), Applied Seismology Consultants (Shrewsbury, UK), University of San Simon (Cochabamba, Bolivia), University of San Juan (Buonos Aires, Argentina), Tongji University (Shanghai, China), Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia, US), Nazerbayev University (Astana, Kazakstan).
February 2012 - January 2016:
Coordinator for “Geohazards and geomechanics” EU FP7 IRSES (International Researchers staff Exchange Scheme). Total sum awarded: €438,900. The academic partners involved in the exchange are: University of Warwick, Universidad Politecnica Catalunya (Barcelona, Spain), Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble (Grenoble, France), Universita Milano Bicocca (Milano, Italy), University of Edinburgh (Edinburgh, UK), Tongji University (Shanghai, China), Tsinghua University (Bejing, China), Indian Institute of Science (Bangalore, India).
- CEG3201 - Geotechnical Design (10 credits)
I contribute to teach:
- CEG3003 - Engineering Ethics and Sustainability (10 credits)
- CEG8099 Investigative Research Project (MEng)
- CEG8208 - Geotechnical Design (20 credits)
- CEG8296 Project and Dissertation in Geotechnical Engineering and Engineering Geology (MSc)
- Zhao T, Crosta GB, Dattola G, Utili S. Dynamic Fragmentation of Jointed Rock Blocks During Rockslide‐Avalanches: Insights From Discrete Element Analyses. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 2018, 123(4), 3250-3269.
- Abd A, Utili S. Design of geosynthetic - reinforced slopes in cohesive backfills. Geotextiles and Geomembranes 2017, 45(6), 627-641.
- Zhao T, Crosta GB, Utili S, De Blasio FV. Investigation of rock fragmentation during rockfalls and rock avalanches via 3-D discrete element analyses. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface 2017, 122(3), 678-695.
- Utili S, Crosta GB, Take A. Preface of Special Issue on ‘Monitoring, physical and numerical modeling of landslides and debris flows’. Engineering Geology 2017, 219, 1-3.
- Voulgari C, Utili S. A general analytical solution for the evolution of cliffs accounting for strength degradation, seismic action, formation of tension cracks and seepage. Engineering Geology 2017, 219, 92-106.
- Wang HN, Zheng GS, Utili S, Jiang MJ, Wu L. Analytical solutions of stresses and displacements for deeply buried twin tunnels in viscoelastic rock. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 2017, 93, 13-29.
- Utili S, Abd A. On the stability of intact and fissured slopes subject to seismic action. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 2016, 40(5), 785-806.
- Zhao T, Utili S, Crosta GB. Rockslide and impulse wave modelling in the Vajont reservoir by DEM-CFD analyses. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 2016, 49, 2437-2456.
- Jiang MJ, Shen Z, Utili S. DEM modeling of cantilever retaining excavations: implications for lunar constructions. Engineering Computations 2016, 33(2), 366-394.
- Utili S, Zhao T, Houlsby GT. 3D DEM investigation of granular column collapse: Evaluation of debris motion and its Destructive Power. Engineering Geology 2015, 186, 3-16.
- Murugaratnam K, Utili S, Petrinic N. A combined DEM-FEM numerical method for Shot Peening parameter optimisation. Advances in Engineering Software 2015, 79, 13-26.
- Boon CW, Houlsby GT, Utili S. A new rock slicing algorithm based on linear programming. Computers and geotechnics 2015, 65, 12–29.
- Wang HN, Utili S, Jiang MJ, He P. Analytical solutions for tunnels of elliptical cross-section in rheological rock accounting for sequential excavation. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 2015, 48(5), 1997–2029.
- Boon CW, Houlsby GT, Utili S. DEM modelling of a jointed rock beam with emphasis on interface properties. Geotechnique Letters 2015, 5, 49-55.
- Boon CW, Houlsby GT, Utili S. Designing tunnel support in jointed rock masses via the DEM. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 2015, 48, 603-632.
- Jiang MJ, Zhu F, Utili S. Investigation into the effect of backpressure on the mechanical behavior of methane-hydrate-bearing sediments via DEM analyses. Computers and Geotechnics 2015, 69, 551-563.
- Utili S, Castellanza R, Galli A, Sentenac P. Novel approach for health monitoring of earthen embankments. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering 2015, 141(3), 04014111.
- Jiang MJ, Zhu F, Liu F, Utili S. A bond contact model for methane hydrate-bearing sediments with interparticle cementation. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 2014, 38(17), 1823-1854.
- Zhao T, Houlsby GT, Utili S. Investigation of granular batch sedimentation via DEM-CFD coupling. Granular Matter 2014, 16, 921-932.
- Boon CW, Houlsby GT, Utili S. New insights into the 1963 Vajont slide using 2D and 3D distinct-element method analyses. Geotechnique 2014, 64(10), 800-816.
- Wang HN, Utili S, Jiang MJ. An analytical approach for the sequential excavation of axisymmetric lined tunnels in viscoelastic rock. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 2014, 68, 85-106.
- Crosta GB, Utili S, De Blasio FV, Castellanza R. Reassessing rock mass properties and slope instability triggering conditions in Valles Marineris, Mars. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 2014, 388, 329-342.
- Abd AH, Utili S. Geosynthetic-Reinforced Slopes in Cohesive Soils Subject to Seismic Action. In: Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference Transportation Geotechnics and Geoecology (TGG-2017). 2017, Saint Petersburg, Russia: Elsevier Ltd.
- Utili S, Castellanza R, Galli A, Sentenac P. Non-invasive Portable Geophysical Tool to Monitor Water Content in Earthen Long Linear Infrastructures. In: Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference Transportation Geotechnics and Geoecology (TGG-2017). 2017, Saint Petersburg, Russia: Elsevier Ltd.
- Utili S. Discussion of "Stability assessment of slopes with cracks using limit analysis". Canadian Geotechnical Journal 2014, 51(7), 822-825.
- Utili S, Zhao T. Coupled distinct element method computational fluid dynamics analyses for reservoir landslide modelling. In: 5th International Conference on Particle-Based Methods - Fundamentals and Applications (PARTICLES 2017). 2017, Barcelona, Spain: International Center for Numerical Methods in Engineering.