Think You Might Be In Clearing?
You might have just missed your grades but it doesn’t mean you have to miss out.
Now is your chance to apply to Newcastle University – a world-class university in a world-famous city.
Courses in Clearing
We will have Clearing places available for high-achieving applicants for many courses, particularly those who achieve ABB+ or equivalent in their exams.
Clearing hotline opening times
Our Clearing hotline opens for UK students on Thursday 13 August at 7.30am.
Call 0800 073 5050 (free from landlines)
- Thursday 13 August – 7.30am to 6pm
- Friday 14 August – 8am to 5pm
- Monday 17 August onwards – 9am to 5pm
International and EU students can apply online.
Please have your exam results when you contact us.
Clearing is for anyone who wants to start university this September but who hasn’t secured a place yet.
This may be because you have just missed the terms of an offer, or because you didn’t apply by the UCAS deadline.
During Clearing, all universities with spaces available on their degree courses advertise these vacancies – usually on their websites and on the UCAS website.
You can go online to see if any universities have a course that interests you, then phone their hotline to see whether they can offer you a place.
Clearing is a competitive process so it is very important to be prepared and act quickly on results day.
Act fast! Call as soon as you get your results.
- Check our list of Clearing courses to see if there are any that interest you.
Academic standards at Newcastle are high and we want to welcome students who will flourish here. Typical entrance requirements are included with the degree listings but we can be more flexible during Clearing.
- Call the Clearing Hotline on 0800 073 5050
Hotline opens 7.30am on Thursday 13 August. Calls are free from landlines.
- Have your exam results and UCAS Personal ID number ready.
You must call yourself – the Admissions Tutor will want to speak to you personally.
- Tell us which course/subject you are interested in.
If that course is available through Clearing we'll put you through to an Admissions Tutor. If not, we'll see if there are any other courses that might suit you.
- Be ready to tell us about yourself.
If we put you through to an Admissions Tutor, they will want to know about you, your grades and motivations, so be ready to tell us about yourself.
- Make an informed decision.
Think of any questions you might want to ask to help you make your decision if you get an offer. If we offer you a place, we’ll send you an email to confirm.
If you get an offer from us
- We will send you an e-mail telling you what to do next
- You'll need to add your Clearing choice to your UCAS record in UCAS Track
- We'll check your grades and let UCAS know that you have a place with us
- You'll be able to see on UCAS Track that we have accepted you
Can't wait to see what life at Newcastle is like? Book a campus tour now to visit us over the summer.
If you do not get an offer
If we can't make you an offer, you do have other options. You could consider:
- applying to another university via Clearing
- re-sitting your exams
- taking a year out to gain practical work experience before applying again next year