What is Clearing?
Every year thousands of students gain University places through Clearing.
When you get your exam results in the summer, you might not meet the conditions of your offer at your chosen University.
If this happens, check UCAS Track to find out if you’ve still been accepted onto your chosen course. If not, Clearing gives you the chance to apply for other courses.
You might also find that you do much better than you expected. If this happens you can apply to do a different course to the one you first applied for.
During Clearing, all Universities with spaces available on their degree courses advertise these vacancies – usually on their websites and on the UCAS website.
You can go online to see if any Universities have a course that interests you, then phone their hotline to see whether they can offer you a place.
Clearing is a competitive process so it is very important to be prepared and act quickly on results day.
Act fast! Call as soon as you get your results.
- Check our list of Clearing courses to see if there are any that interest you.
Academic standards at Newcastle are high and we want to welcome students who will flourish here. Typical entrance requirements are included with the degree listings but we can be more flexible during Clearing.
- Call our Clearing Hotline
Calls are free from landlines.
- Have your exam results and UCAS Personal ID number ready.
You must call yourself – the Admissions Tutor will want to speak to you personally.
- Tell us which course/subject you are interested in.
If that course is available through Clearing we'll put you through to an Admissions Tutor. If not, we'll see if there are any other courses that might suit you.
- Be ready to tell us about yourself.
If we put you through to an Admissions Tutor, they will want to know about you, your grades and motivations, so be ready to tell us about yourself.
- Make an informed decision.
Think of any questions you might want to ask to help you make your decision if you get an offer. If we offer you a place, we’ll send you an email to confirm.
If you get an offer from us
- We will send you an e-mail telling you what to do next
- You'll need to add your Clearing choice to your UCAS record in UCAS Track
- We'll check your grades and let UCAS know that you have a place with us
- You'll be able to see on UCAS Track that we have accepted you
If you do not get an offer
If we can't make you an offer, you do have other options. You could consider:
- applying to another university via Clearing
- re-sitting your exams
- taking a year out to gain practical work experience before applying again next year