Our degrees are divided into Stages. Each Stage lasts for an academic year and you need to complete modules totalling 120 credits by the end of each Stage.
Please be aware that programme modules do change and therefore may differ for your year of entry.
You choose at least two modules or up to three modules from the list below:
You may choose up to 20 credits of modules from elsewhere in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
You take at least one module from each of the following lists:
In addition, you may take up to 60 credits of optional modules selected from the following:
You may choose the following modules or up to 40 credits of modules from elsewhere in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences:
You may undertake the Erasmus programme which would entail undertaking 60 credits during an entire semester in an Erasmus-partner institution.
You choose either one of the following modules or a 20-credit module from elsewhere in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
You also choose 40 credits (20 credits in each semester AND at least one HIS-coded module) from the following list:
- ARA3013 Early medieval Britain: Anglo-Saxons, Celts, Vikings
- ARA3016 The Archaeology of Byzantium and its Neighbours
- ARA3021 Frontier Communities of Roman Britain
- ARA3031 Historical Archaeology of Britain 1500-Present
- CAH3009 The Emperor and the Empire
- HIS3035 Elizabeth I: the Politics of Religion
- HIS3131 China in Revolution, 1919-1976
- HIS3134 The Great Patriotic War and its Aftermath
- HIS3135 The Nazi New Order
- HIS3136 Nationalisms in Europe, 1789-2007
- HIS3138 Art of empires, 1750-1850
- HIS3181 The American Civil War, 1861-1865
- HIS3203 Madness, Nerves and Narratives in Georgian Britain, c. 1714-1830
- HIS3205 Fascism in Italy, 1914-1945
- HIS3206 The Irish Revolution, 1879-1923
- HIS3208 Coffee, Chocolate and Tobacco
- HIS3212 Reconstruction and the New South, 1865-1914
- HIS3218 Hogarth and his life in Georgian London
- HIS3219 Living Together: Christians, Muslims and Jews in Medieval Iberia
- HIS3222 Jarrow Crusade
- HIS3229 The Spanish Second Republic and Civil War, 1931-1939
- HIS3240 Civil Rights in America, 1948-1975
- HIS3278 England, 1714-1820: The Birth of a Consumer Society
- HIS3279 Popular Politics and Reform in Britain, 1811-1850
- HIS3283 Russian Revolution
- HIS3285 Post-Revolutionary Mexico: From Zapata to the Zapatistas
- HIS3295 Christian Kings and Kingship, c. 870-c. 930
- HIS3321 Viking-Age Scandinavia
- HIS3326 Women in Colonial South Asia
- LAS4001 Comparative History of Hispano-America and Brazil: from Independence to the Mexican Revolution (1789/1810-1917)