Our degrees are divided into Stages. Each Stage lasts for an academic year and you need to complete modules totalling 120 credits by the end of each Stage.
Please be aware that programme modules do change and therefore may differ for your year of entry.
You choose up to three modules from the list below:
You may choose up to 20 credits of modules from elsewhere in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
You take at least one module from each of the following lists:
In addition, all candidates may take up to 60 credits of optional modules selected from the following:
You may choose the following module or up to 40 credits of modules from elsewhere in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences:
It is also possible to spend a semester studying abroad at one of our partner institutions in Europe, which would entail undertaking a 60-credit module:
You choose either one of the following modules or a 20-credit module from elsewhere in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.
You also choose 40 credits from the following list:
- ARA3016 The Archaeology of Byzantium and its Neighbours
- ARA3031 Historical Archaeology of Britain 1500-Present
- CAH3009 The Emperor and the Empire
- HIS3181 The American Civil War, 1861-1865
- HIS3205 Fascism in Italy, 1914-1945
- HIS3208 Coffee, Chocolate and Tobacco
- HIS3212 Reconstruction and the New South, 1865-1914
- HIS3222 Jarrow Crusade
- HIS3229 The Spanish Second Republic and Civil War, 1931-1939
- HIS3279 Popular Politics and Reform in Britain, 1811-1850
- HIS3283 The Russian Revolution
- HIS3326 Women in Colonial South Asia: Tradition, Reform and Modernity
- ARA3013 Early medieval Britain: Anglo-Saxons, Celts, Vikings
- HIS3131 China in Revolution, 1919-1976
- HIS3204 The English Revolution, 1640-1660
- HIS3206 The Irish Revolution, 1879-1923
- HIS3213 Slave Emancipation in the British Empire
- HIS3218 Hogarth! The artist and his life in Georgian London 1697-1764
- HIS3219 Living Together: Christians, Muslims and Jews in Medieval Iberia
- HIS3240 Civil Rights in America, 1948-1975
- HIS3284 The Mexican Revolution
- HIS3286 Genocide
- HIS3289 Gorbachev (Semester 1)
- HIS3290 Gorbachev (Semester 2)
Subject to approval, alternative optional modules to those listed above may be chosen.