We make it easy for you to find us with our comprehensive directions service.
Whether you're taking to the road, public transport or a ferry or plane, we want to get you here with minimum fuss.
Our postcode is NE1 7RU if you're using a sat-nav or route planner.
Our simple directions search facility works with built-in GPS on mobile devices. It gives you:
- door-to-door routes via your choice of transport
- traffic information
- details of the next trains or buses to leave
- available internal or external flights with costings if required
As Google power this service, you can be sure the information is as up-to-date and accurate as it can be.
To find your way to us, just add your location to the search box below and select Find Us.
Enter your postcode or address to find directions
Our helpful tips for getting here should mean you enjoy your trip to see us, however you choose to travel.
Travel information and booking
- Mega Bus - low cost inter-city travel
- National Express - coach travel booking to Newcastle
- Transport for London - coach travel from the capital to Newcastle
- Nexus - for bus travel in Newcastle and Tyne and Wear
- Metro and Rail - for Newcastle and Tyne and Wear
- London North Eastern Railway - route information from London King's Cross, Glasgow or Edinburgh
- Cross Country Trains - Cross Country trains serve many UK destinations, including Newcastle
- Northern Rail - trains serving the North of England
- TransPennine Express - serving the North and cross-country routes
- National Rail - journey planning, live arrival and departure boards for UK stations
- Eurostar - plan your journey to us from Europe
- Newcastle International Airport - for information and booking on worldwide flights
- Heathrow - for connecting flights to Newcastle if you've arrived near London
- Gatwick - for connecting flights to Newcastle
- Stansted - for connecting flights to Newcastle
You can find information about travelling from Newcastle Airport to the University in Getting Around.
Travel planning websites
- Traveline: UK Public Transport Information helps you plan journeys by public transport.
- Traveline North East provides specific details for Newcastle and the surrounding area.
Accommodation in Newcastle
The tourist information site NewcastleGateshead provides an accommodation database and free booking service.
Here we give you locations of car parks you can use while visiting. We also give you park and ride details.
We are unable to offer parking on campus. We do have a limited number of spaces for visitors with mobility issues.
If you have reserved on-campus parking (via a member of staff) or are arriving by taxi, use the entrance on Claremont Road. The taxi drop-off point is on King's Road.
City centre car parks
There are many car parks in walking distance of campus. The nearest NCP car parks are:
- John Dobson Street (NE1 8HL)
- New Bridge Street (NE1 8AB)
- Carliol Square (NE1 6UL)
Some of our events offer a 20% discount for NCP car parks. You will usually need to validate your parking ticket on the day.
Park and ride
As the city centre is a busy place to park, you may prefer to park at a Metro station and travel in by Metro.
Parking is available at the following Metro stations.
If you choose to park, you will need to pay and also buy a return ticket (two zones) to Haymarket. This station is opposite the University.
From the north-west:
- Callerton Parkway (NE13 8DF) to the north-west of the city centre
- Bank Foot (NE13 8AA) to the north-west of the city
- Kingston Park (NE3 2SW) to the north-west of the city centre
- Regent Centre (NE3 3PF) to the north of the city centre
From the east:
- Walkergate (NE6 4NT) to the east of the city centre
- Newcastle Great Park (NE13 9AA) to the north of the city centre (bus based)
- Four Lane Ends (NE12 8EE) to the north-east of the city*
- Northumberland Park (NE27 0RN) in Shiremoor*
From the south-east:
- Heworth (NE10 0NE) which is east of Gateshead and accessible from the A194(M)
- East Boldon (NE36 0AB) between Newcastle and Sunderland*
- Fellgate (NE32 4TG) in Jarrow*
- Stadium of Light (SR5 1DN) in Monkwearmouth*
Accessible parking spaces are available at the Metro stations marked with an *.
Find out more about the Metro under Getting Around.
There are many ways to make your way to us once you've arrived at the transport hubs in Newcastle and Tyne and Wear.
We have maps of the city and campus to help you find your way around, especially if you're on foot.
The Tyne and Wear Metro is a light rail system serving:
- North Tyneside
- South Tyneside
It is operated by Nexus, the Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive.
Stations at the airport and railway station connect you to the city and wider region. Haymarket is the closest station to the main University campus.
Map and timetables
Trains run frequently during the day. The service starts around 05.45 and stops about 23.30.
Maps and timetables are available from the Nexus website:
Park and ride
Metro offer park and ride options to ease parking congestion in the city centre.
Transport links from the airport
The airport is about seven miles north west of Newcastle city centre.
Official airport taxis pick-up and drop-off outside the terminal. You can book a taxi in advance or from inside the airport terminal.
If you have booked any other taxi, they will pick you up or drop you off just across the road from the terminal.
You may be able to pick up a non-booked taxi here, but this isn't an official taxi rank. A taxi into the city centre should take about 15 minutes.
The airport Metro station is connected to the terminal. The journey to Haymarket (the nearest stop to the University) takes about 25 minutes.
Buses run to Newcastle city centre and the University from the airport entrance. To plan a bus journey from the airport see the Traveline website.
Arriving by sea without a car
If you're a foot passenger arriving at the North Shields ferry terminal, there are buses to Newcastle city centre. The bus journey takes approximately 30 minutes. Taxis are available outside the ferry terminal.
The nearest Metro station is Percy Main, about a 20-minute walk from the terminal building. The Metro journey into the city centre takes 20 minutes.