Travel and Conferences

Export Control - Travel and Conferences

Graph - masthead


For information security reasons, colleagues and students should not take their University laptops on personal travel overseas.  

However, international travel may be undertaken for a wide variety of business purposes.  In accordance with the University's Overseas Working Policy, all students and colleagues must complete a Travel Risk Assessment Form (internal login required) and ensure they follow the latest Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office (FCDO) foreign travel advice.  

If a University colleague is travelling overseas with controlled technology, then an Export Licence may also be required.  This applies to:

  • Physical goods
  • Hard copy documents
  • Verbal communications and presentations
  • Accessing technology, data and know-how saved on a University laptop or USB stick, or contained within an email

Key Principles

There are three key principles to consider in relation to overseas business travel:

  1. Is the technology, data or know-how controlled under UK Export Control legislation?
  2. Do any exemptions apply?
  3. Are there any end-use concerns?

Internal support can be accessed by completing an Export Control Query Form.