Skip to main content

Support for Care Experienced Students

Support for Care Experienced Students

We’re committed to supporting students who have experience of being in care. You’ll receive ongoing support whilst studying at Newcastle, and we can provide advice and guidance before you apply on all topics relating to higher education.

Who are Care Experienced Students?

At Newcastle University, we deem a care experienced young person as someone who has spent any time in care during their life. This could include any of the following experiences:

  • Living with foster carers
  • Living in a residential children's home
  • Being looked after at home under a supervision order
  • Living with friends or relatives in kinship care – either through a formal arrangement (e.g. a Special Guardianship order) or an informal arrangement without local authority support

If any of the above criteria apply to you, you can find details of how we can support you below. If you are unsure if you meet the criteria, please get in touch with our Care Experienced Student Contact - Henna Javid (

Support and guidance

We offer a range of support to students who are care leavers, this can include:

  • appointments to discuss the support options available to you before you apply or accept an offer
  • automatic eligibility for the PARTNERS supported entry route 
  • access to the range of support services offered by the University
  • someone to speak to if there is anything you are unsure about
  • a visit to University accommodation and/or a campus tour of the University
  • meeting a current University student

Care Leaver Bursaries

If you're a care leaver and interested in joining us, we can support you financially with a scholarship.

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible for the bursary you must:

  • register as a student of Newcastle University for the academic year in which we consider you for the bursary;
  • be a full-time undergraduate student;
  • not be in receipt of an Opportunity Scholarship;
  • have been in care, or under a Care Order, for at least three months during the 10 years before starting your course;
  • not have been living independently for longer than five years prior to starting university;
    have applied for the maximum statutory funding from the Student Loans Company unless supported by other public funds for these costs (e.g. fees);
  • have a household income of £42,600 or less as assessed by Student Finance England (or equivalent);
    include in your application a copy of all pages of your funding entitlement letter from Student Finance
  • England (or equivalent) for the year in which you apply for the bursary;
  • The University base these criteria on their experience and on consultation with colleagues in other universities and Local Authority Leaving Care Teams.

The University will consider exceptional cases that do not meet these criteria on an individual basis. Newcastle University's decision on all applications will be final.


Please download and complete the Care Leaver Bursary Application Form 2020-21.


Newcastle University has a designated member of staff who can offer advice and information for those who have been in local authority care. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions:

Henna Javid ( - Student Recruitment Coordindator

Newcastle University | King's Gate | Newcastle upon Tyne | NE1 7RU