Newcastle University London

Physical health

Physical health

It's important that you stay healthy during your studies here in London - see below for our advice about your physical health whilst studying at Newcastle University London.

Non-urgent queries

Minor complaints include:

  • sore throat
  • headache
  • sunburn
  • blisters

Where do I go?

Common pharmacies in London include Boots and Superdrug.

Your local Boots pharmacy is: 200 Bishopsgate, London, EC2M 4NR, Tel: 020-7283-5944

If your minor complaint does not improve overtime, please visit a doctor or nurse at a local practice. The doctor can also help you with contraception and sexually transmitted diseases. You can also purchase some medicine without a prescription from local pharmacies.

Non-emergency number

If you do not require emergency medical attention but would like an immediate answer to your medical query, call 111 from any phone. It is a free phone service operated by the National Health Service (NHS), that runs 24 hours/365 days a year. Trained healthcare professionals will assess your symptom(s) and direct you to the appropriate medical care.


Call 999 and request an ambulance to the nearest hospital or simply make your way to the nearest Accident and Emergency unit at the local hospital. In all phone boxes, you will find a small notice describing exactly where the phone box is located, please give this information to the operator.

The address of nearest hospital to the campus is: The Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel Road, London, E1 1BZ, Tel: 020 7377 7000.

In other emergencies, dial 999 for the Police and the Fire Brigade.

If you are unfortunate enough to experience crime, have been involved in an attack or threatened, you should report it to the police and the Student Services team, located at the 4th floor Welcome Desk.

Choosing your doctor

It is vital that all students register with a local NHS doctor.  You can also see you doctor, or GP as they are known here in the UK, if you’re feeling depressed, stressed or anxious. GP practices or surgeries can also arrange for key travel vaccines. The UK offers both NHS and private practices. You can find your local practice on the NHS website.

NHS doctor/dentist registration process:

  1. Make you choice via the NHS website
  2. Visit the doctor’s surgery with proof of your address (tenancy agreement, bill or letter from the university) and formal identification (passport or visa)
  3. Most surgeries request you to complete a short health questionnaire
  4. Some surgeries may also ask you to complete a health check (urine sample to check for diabetes/blood pressure with an optional STI check)
  5. If you are already a UK citizen, and you have your NHS number, bring this to the surgery

Doctor's surgeries close to the campus:

The Spitalfields Practice (NHS), 20 Old Montague Street, London, E1 5PB, Tel: 020 7247 7070

City Walk-in Clinic (private), Renown House, 33-34 Bury Street, London, EC3A 5AR, Tel: 020 3642 4303

International students

Dependent on your visa/residency status, you may be entitled to free healthcare at one of our NHS practices. All students applying for a Tier 4 Visa are subject to a Health Surcharge. If you are studying in the UK, you are entitled to receive free medical health care under the National Health Service (NHS). If you are on a shorter course you may be able to register with a GP but you may be asked to pay for any non-urgent treatment as a private patient. You might be able to claim the money back from your insurance company.

Meningitis ACWY Vaccination

Over 12% of all cases of meningococcal disease occur in the 14 – 24 year old age group and first year university students may be at particular risk. University students can be more vulnerable due to living in more cramped housing or halls of residence. In many cases young people come together from all over the country, and the world - to live in one place and can be exposed to bacteria and viruses their bodies have not met before. This is why so many new students get ‘fresher’s flu’. If you have not already had the Meningitis ACWY Vaccination, it is strongly recommended you do so. You should ask your GP for this service.

Sexual health & Contraception

Your sexual health is important. Condoms can protect you from many sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies. Free condoms are available from all sexual health clinics in the UK. Many pharmacies also offer free condoms, emergency contraception and chlamydia testing.

If you’re worried about your sexual health, there are many places you can go for advice. Here at Newcastle University London you can talk to the Student Welfare Officer on the 4th floor if you have any worries. 

The nearest sexual health clinic to the campus is: All East Sexual Health Advice and Support Centre - The Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel Road, London, E1 1BB – (Monday 9am-6:30pm, Tuesday 9am-6:30pm, Wednesday 12am–6:30pm, Thursday 9am-6:30pm, Friday 9am–4pm and Saturday 9am–12:30pm), telephone: 020 7377 7306


Glasses or contact lenses are provided by private practices (opticians). These services are charged individually per person. 

Nearest optician to campus: Specsavers Opticians, 152 Bishopsgate, London, EC2M 4LN.


Your local dentist can be found on the NHS website.

Local dentists to the campus include:

  • Alba Dental Care, 32 Toynbee Street, London, E1 7NE, Tel: 0207 377 6886.
  • Fresh Spring Dental Practice, 21 Commercial Street, London, E1 6BD, Tel: 020 3216 0077
  • The Whitechapel Dental Centre, 195 Whitechapel Road, London, E1 1DN, Tel: 020 7247 4600

You will need to register at the dentist's practice before booking an appointment